Anyone getting worried about March Break Travel

Absolutely nobody laughed out loud at someones stress, pain or concern. Bankr "laughed out loud" at the logic of one persons statement . That is fact, and it is not fair to characterize it as laughing at someones stress concern or pain. Now, I read it as lighthearted and he explained why .. it's fine if that wasn't your opinion but the thread would go south pretty quick if we are accusing people of things they didn't do IMO.
Thanks Pigletto!

Yes, I laughed because the logic part of it mapped very well into some philosophical logic I had recently learned about (Pascal's Wager).

My apologies to @MoreTravels if they perceived I was laughing at their fear. I get that there is fear in every unknown, and yes, I feel the same pang of "should I go?" as everyone else reading here. But my background in the engineering field makes me seek out the truth and make real risk assessments. My points mostly have been based on that; at this point there is no reason to panic or cancel, although that could change. That last post was simply that, the science and risk assessment aside, that a logical/philosophical argument also points me towards going. Again with apologies to @MoreTravels but their post simply led me to an even stronger conclusion that there is no reason NOT to go.

Now if I could just figure out to do about that nasty Karma...

I have zero intention of cancelling at this point. Honestly, we need take flu like precautions at this stage. Wash your hands often (with proper hand washing technique) and don’t touch your face. Bring a few Lysol/Clorox wipes to wipe down you high touch areas on your plane seat if you want to be extra safe.

I can understand the concern if you already have a weakened immune system- but that is a concern with travel most any time. If that’s your case, I’d speak to your doctor and see what their opinion in is regards to your specific medical concerns.

Other than that... well, it’s up to you. I mean if you are going to be stressed the whole time and this will ruin your vacation, then it’s probably best for you to rebook. But please remember that the news is a business and sensationalized stories sell a lot more papers.

Disney had released a statement to People magazine :
A spokesperson for Disney tells PEOPLE the company is monitoring the situation.
“We know there is new information this week about Coronavirus in Florida,” the spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.
“We have very stringent sanitation procedures in place at Walt Disney World Resort. We are in close contact with health agencies for information and guidance, and at this time, we are continuing to communicate to our Cast the importance of preventative measures such as frequent handwashing and rigorous cleaning processes.
“For guest convenience, we have placed additional hand sanitizers throughout our parks and resorts and will adjust our protocols as the situation warrants.”

Ugh - it pains me to read all this back and forth, for the simple reason that people are feeling real stress and concern over whether or not to go - and others are "laughing out loud" at how some of us deal with this stress, concern and pain.

For everyone in a situation where you need to make a decision, my opinion is that you find a news and information source (perhaps your doctor?) that you trust and go with your instincts and feelings. Nobody here can tell you what to do or if your decision is right or wrong. Certainly nobody here has the expertise to advise anyone else - all they can provide is their opinion, based on their interpretation of the news.

It is difficult to sort through all the information that is coming out, particularly in the manner in which certain actors in the United States have hyped up the disinformation for political attacks and the management or mismanagement of said information being disseminated to the public. It is with hindsight to realize how tragic is was that the first doctor who raised the alarm of a mysterious illness was silenced by the government in China ... and who has now since died from contracting the virus. With a global health crisis, we are all in it together. We all hope for the best ... but one should also plan for the worst.

With a global health crisis, we are all in it together. We all hope for the best ... but one should also plan for the worst.

Good summary and add to it what someone else said above that the ultimate decision should be made based on what's best for you and your family in consultation with your own medical professional if the need is there. We need to take the time to read well-sourced, scientific based reports.

OH and can i just say that i LOVE your screen name :D

Ok. I have a new issue.

Since it’s difficult to cancel and everyone says go, the situation is most American stores have sold out sanitizers and disinfectant wipes or rubbing alcohol. If you look at Amazon.com you will see that you cannot order and deliver to resort because it’s out of stock.

For those of you going, are you bringing in alcohol spray, bleach jug, and sanitizer bottles? Or you just go and hope for the best?!

My son is traveling soon to New York and has plans to pack the following in his checked bag.
:Hand sanitizer bottle 8 oz.
:Lysol wipes
:Mini first Aid kit
:Cold /Flu meds

He also has a small hand sanitizer bottle and a small pack of lysol wipes/Purell for his carry on bag/backpack.
: prescription meds

To be honest we (family) travel with this stuff on a regular basis.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

My son is traveling soon to New York and has plans to pack the following in his checked bag.
:Hand sanitizer bottle 8 oz.
:Lysol wipes
:Mini first Aid kit
:Cold /Flu meds
: prescription meds

He also has a small hand sanitizer bottle and a small pack of lysol wipes/Purell for his carry on bag/backpack.

To be honest we (family) travel with this stuff on a regular basis.

Hugs
Mel

It's best to fly with prescription meds in your carry on, in case you bag is lost for some time. You can carry on over the 3oz. limit for prescription meds (if they happen to be liquids).

Ok. I have a new issue.

Since it’s difficult to cancel and everyone says go, the situation is most American stores have sold out sanitizers and disinfectant wipes or rubbing alcohol. If you look at Amazon.com you will see that you cannot order and deliver to resort because it’s out of stock.

For those of you going, are you bringing in alcohol spray, bleach jug, and sanitizer bottles? Or you just go and hope for the best?!
Since i deal with food allergies this is no different for us! I always have a stash of wipes in my bag/purse/backpack even at home and a bottle of hand sanitizer hangs from my purse. I pack a larger bottle in the checked bag for refilling purposes (wrapped in a towel, placed inside a ziplock bag which then gets vacuum sealed to stop the messy leaks!) and there are a few of the smaller ones in my liquid bag for the plane. I make a point of washing my hands whenever i can anyways. Wipe down tables before you eat, the plane seat, seatbelt and tray table (usually GROSS!) and your hands AFTER you do this.

The products i prefer to use - Rexall brand hand sanitizer gel because it's THICK! You need to use enough that it takes you about 20 secs to rub it in and the stuff you get at places like Bath & Body just runs everywhere.
Wet ones makes travel size packs of wipes - i get the ones that are antibacterial but have also seen Clorox ones as well. I also tuck a large bottle of those in my checked bag to wipe down every single surface in the room

You can take ANY of these products in your luggage (unless you're planning on taking a full size bottle of bleach, no need for that!) so why not use amazon .ca and take it with you? Looking right now and there are several showing up for next day delivery. The wipes can go in your carry on as well if you're not doing a checked bag.

Places I've seen these products, as recently as Sunday afternoon:
Giant Tiger, Dollarama, Metro, Zehrs, Dollar tree, Shopper's, a small pharmacy attached to our doctor's office.

The BEST protection for this and any other type of fluid transmitted illness (coughing & sneezing) is to wash you hands -- for much longer than you think you need to, sing the alphabet or happy birthday TWICE -- using plenty of soap and water, don't touch your face, don't reuse tissues, blow once, discard!

Finally, if you feel yourself getting sick, don't go to the worst case scenario but also don't push through it and head out to a park. You probably don't have CONVID 19 but you're setting yourself up to catch anything else when your immune system is in overdrive.

I'm so glad you mentioned the homemade option for hand sanitizer. I read that the other day and have both items needed already at home.

There are so many "wipes" products out there it's easy to get them into carry-on luggage. As others have said I've been travelling for years with clorox wipes and hand sanitizer wipes. I just picked up some alcohol wipes at Costco today to give electronics (phone, keyboard) a quick wipe down regularly.

It is difficult to sort through all the information that is coming out, particularly in the manner in which certain actors in the United States have hyped up the disinformation for political attacks and the management or mismanagement of said information being disseminated to the public. It is with hindsight to realize how tragic is was that the first doctor who raised the alarm of a mysterious illness was silenced by the government in China ... and who has now since died from contracting the virus. With a global health crisis, we are all in it together. We all hope for the best ... but one should also plan for the worst.

I hope all the above-mentioned stats (eg, mortality rate, infectious rate, and age distribution) remain the same but the virus has evolved....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11096171/coronavirus-mutated-two-strains-aggressive/

Ok. I have a new issue.

I hope all the above-mentioned stats (eg, mortality rate, infectious rate, and age distribution) remain the same but the virus has evolved....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11096171/coronavirus-mutated-two-strains-aggressive/

Try bath and body works online. They had some travel size ones left because they limited the order amount.

I would be extremely skeptical of anything posted by the sun, it’s a tabloid type paper.

I just picked up a large container of Lysol wipes. I'm guessing that this is not allowed in airplanes? We are leaving next weekend and sanitizer and small pack of bacterial/viral wipes are hard to find.

All Nova Scotia school-based trips are cancelled until the end of April. My niece was supposed to go to Cuba and her parents didn't buy the insurance since they have medical through work. She's out $2400. The insurance would have been another $112 (a drop in the bucket). I always tell people to spend the extra $100-$200 and get cancellation/delay/baggage insurance. You won't need it until you do.

I was wondering if trip cancellation does cover things like this type of widespread illness. I thought I read somewhere that it all depends on when you got the insurance (ie before Covid 19) came into being.

Does anyone have more info? Market Place on Travel Insurance

Last edited:
Yes, it does depend on when you purchase it. My sister took a gamble and bought it the other night before it was announced, but I don't think it will work as they already knew about the issue.

It's like a pre-existing condition clause.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter