Anyone ever taken a child's friend to WDW and regretted it?

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
Here I go again, asking a dumb question. We plan on taking one of our 14 year old's friends with us to WDW. Since our DD is an only-child, we think it will be fun for her. The friend we have in mind is a great kid, well behaved, etc. Has anyone ever taken a friend along and regretted it halfway through the trip? Just curious.

I haven't taken one of my children's friends with us to WDW but the main drawback I would see is "letting you guard down" on your personal life. You might accidentally spill the beans that your Uncle Joe was in prison or the father might forget and come walking out of the bathroom in his underwear.

But if you feel this is not an issue, then it would be great for your DD to have someone to pal around and make memories!

We allow our DD to take a friend with her each year. She is also 14. We have not had too many problems. One year DD got very ill while we were there and that cause a small problem. DH would take the friend out in the AM while I stayed in the room with DD and then I would take the friend out in the PM while DH stayed with DD. The doc called in a prescription and in a few days DD was feeling well enough to join us. Other than that we have enjoyed her having a friend along. It gives her some independence and us a little time for ourselves. Good luck on your decision.

PS We are really looking forward to this year, as she knows Disney like her own back yard and we may get to do a Behind the Scenes tour on our own. Yippee!!!!!!

I would take any well behaved child! What a pleasure to share a Disney experience with your child's friend? My sister does not like theme parks and her dd is welcome with us! I would also take my sons' friends as long as the parents pay the passes. I pay for lodging and standard meals. (Not extra snacks and souvenirs)

Have a great time!

For the past 3 years our 14-yr. old has been bringing her best friend down with her. We have never regretted it. The only drawback for us is that now our 11 yr. old would love to have her best friend come with us, but her friend can not "make it" that long being away from her mom. For me, the two determining factors would be whether the child can stand to be away from home for that long and how well they are already integrated into your family. As long as both of those answers are positive, I'd say "go for it" ...... your kids grow up very fast and this could be a great memory-maker!

My youngest brother is 18 years younger than me so he was like an only child. My folks regularly took his friends with him on vacations so he had a companion. I don;t think they ever had a problem with any of the kids that they took - somtimes they wish they could have left my brother at home but that is another story!

Growing up my parents often brought my cousin (we are both only kids) and it was great for both of us. Then other family members realized they were missing out and now we ALL go every year. A lot has changed since that first trip in 1979!

I'm 13 years older than my brother, so I was basically and only child for a long time! My parents always let me bring a friend to WDW; and it was so much fun! When I was younger, it was more fun for me to go to one of the kids clubs with a friend. When I got older my parents would let us explore the parks (the same park they were in) on our own. I don't think it was too much trouble for my parents--I took the same friend every time, and we had been friends/neighbors since we were 2. I say go for it!!!

thanks for asking that question this is the 1st trip we are letting our daughter take a friend and we are driving this time 18 hrs. that it would be nice that DD won't have to go swimming and can stay in the lounge chair by me sipping pina coladas :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter