• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone ever sewn a Princess dress?

ohMom

Kids Get Arthritis Too!
maybe I'm thinking a bit premature - I can't even call for our potential CRT ressies until friday :) LOL

I was considering tackling a project of making a Princess dress for my DD for our Dec land/sea trip?

Any input from anyone? Any good patterns to look for?

I'm a very very beginner sewer - I have made a couple easy pattern jumpers and halloween costume and done some applique.

TIA:)

McCall's used to have Dis patterns. I made Cinderella and Snow White costumes for my niece when she was younger and both worked very well.

Before you purchase a pattern, check the directions to see if you're comfortable with them. The biggest suggestions I can give anyone who is making a Princess costumes is to purchase the right type of fabric. In order for the bottom of the gown to pouf out you might want to try something a little heavier than the average taffeta weight. I've had great success with the "Casa" collection from Joanne Fabrics, they have a nice selection of colors. They also have sheer fabric to match. I'd try to wait until it went on sale. All taffeta type fabric frays. I use my serger for the seams. If I didn't have a serger I'd try to french seam the bottom of the gown, or double sew the seam to help prevent fraying. French seaming is actually very easy to do. I can let you know how if you'd like. While I'm sewing anything I press the seams as I'm going along, I thing it makes a difference to the finished piece. I press a piece of scrap to get the right temp on my iron. You'll be very pleased with yourself when you're done. I loved to hear my kids tell people that their Mom made something.

Good Luck!!

I made the Cinderella dress for my niece last year for Halloween. She wore it that night but won't wear it without a shirt under it because she says it scratches. She is very fussy with clothes, won't wear pants with buttons or zippers because they hurt her tummy, etc...
I am working on some costumes for her now but I am lining them with white flannel so they are softer on her skin.
I did such a good job on the dress if I do say so myself. I have never serged any of my own clothing but serged all the pattern pieces for her Cinderella dress. And she won't wear it, harummpf!
I am not sure who made the pattern I used because I am in work and can't check, but it did have Cinderella, Belle, Snow White and some other character all on the same pattern. It was very easy to sew if you are an average seamstress. Peggie

I didn't make a disney princess dress but I made a rapenzel dress (spelling??). Anyways, it was time consuming. Also, I was working with taffeta. I found it particularly challenging. And, I even make more difficult things like roman shades which I thought was ten times easier. But if you are up for the challenge, I'd say go for it. HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter