Anyone ever hook up an A/C window unit to their tent?

ekatiel

DIS Veteran
Hi! I've never posted on the camping board before, but we're going camping (in AR) this coming week (we'll have an eletrical hook up), and I'm toying with this idea. It's supposed to be hot, and I really would like to get some sleep! I found a site where a guy explains how to hook up a window unit to your tent ( http://www.deltablues.net/camping2.html ). Do you guys think this will work? Will I be starting any fires?! DH has given me the ok to buy a cheap window unit (he says we can use it with the generator the next time we get a hurricane). Just looking for advice from those of you who might know if this will actually work without causing a forest fire! --Katie

Do it all the time, just use the back door on the tent and tarp it in.

There are stand alone A/C units that some people use, I have seen them at Sams Club last year. There are several posts on this site about this subject and pictures, you might do a search on this site.

Thanks for the replies guys-- I knew you guys would have this all figured out already!

Do it all the time, just use the back door on the tent and tarp it in.

Our tent doesn't have a back door, so if I go with a window unit, my choices are to use the front door, or to somehow jerry-rig it to the "cooler" opening in the tent (it looks like a little doggie door on the side of the tent). I'm pretty sure the cooler opening is smaller than the a/c unit will be-- I wonder if I can use a trash bag and duct tape to create a sort of "duct" going from the a/c unit to the cooler opening? Does that sound like it would work?

bass pro shops has a tent ac

Thanks for the tip-- luckily, we have a Bass Pro about 15 minutes away (and my ODS (who's almost 5) has been disapppointed the past few times I told him we were going to the camping store and we ended up at Academy instead of Bass Pro)! He'll be thrilled that we're taking a trip there today-- It would be great if I could find something especially for tents!

There are stand alone A/C units that some people use, I have seen them at Sams Club last year. There are several posts on this site about this subject and pictures, you might do a search on this site.

Do you have any idea how much these cost? The ones I've seen are all $300+. If there's one closer to the $100 mark, then that would be an excellent option!

I've seen a lot of people do this. Check out this website for a boot to install in your tent for the A/C...

http://outdooradvantageconnection.com/index.html

That's really cool, but it does look pricey! I'm going to bookmark that site, in case we turn into serious campers and want to spend the cash on making the a/c fit properly. Who knows, maybe we'll decide to camp at WDW one day!

You guys rock. Thanks for all the advice-- I'm off to Bass Pro to look for the tent a/c-- If I can't find that, I'm going to go buy a cheap window unit! :woohoo:--Katie

We're going to be getting the portable stand alone unit for our pop up from costco.com.

You don't have to do anything real extravagent. Here is the setup I use...

IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7122.jpg

IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7125.jpg

Binder clips and a 7.00 tarp from Wally World.

You don't have to do anything real extravagent. Here is the setup I use...

Binder clips and a 7.00 tarp from Wally World.

Now why didn't I read this post before heading out to Walmart today :sad2:??!! I did buy the $100 Wally World a/c special! The binder clips and tarp look like a great set up-- I'll head back there later this week to get those! I looked at Bass Pro shop, and no tent a/c there, so then we headed to Walmart to buy a window unit. DH's family is going to be so sad in their hot pop-up :guilty:, while we rest in our cool, a/c-ed tent :cool1:! I was giving MIL a hard time about having a microwave in her pop-up-- I wonder what she's gonna say about my a/c :rolleyes1! --Katie

Thanks for all the links. I found a pic online of our tent, and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out how to set up the a/c? Ideally, I'd like to have it set up in the little "cooler" doggie-type door that's on the side. Here's the pic of our tent:
tent2.jpg

So here are my questions:
1) Do I need to elevate the unit somehow? Would wooden blocks do it?

2) I'm pretty sure the cooler door hole is smaller than the unit. Could I duct tape a trash bag around the unit and duct tape the trash bag around the cooler door opening to make a sort of duct for the a/c to run through? Or can I just try using the binder clips and tarp and set the a/c flush with the opening (even though it's bigger than the opening? Or, do I just need to give up on the idea of using the cooler hole and put it in the doorway?

Thanks so much guys-- ya'll have been really helpful! --Katie

Thanks for all the links. I found a pic online of our tent, and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out how to set up the a/c? Ideally, I'd like to have it set up in the little "cooler" doggie-type door that's on the side. Here's the pic of our tent:
tent2.jpg

So here are my questions:
1) Do I need to elevate the unit somehow? Would wooden blocks do it?

Yes a few wooden blocks will work fine.

2) I'm pretty sure the cooler door hole is smaller than the unit. Could I duct tape a trash bag around the unit and duct tape the trash bag around the cooler door opening to make a sort of duct for the a/c to run through? Or can I just try using the binder clips and tarp and set the a/c flush with the opening (even though it's bigger than the opening? Or, do I just need to give up on the idea of using the cooler hole and put it in the doorway?

I think you are on the right track. Do you have a Lowes or Home Depot close by? You could look in the plumbing area for flexible pipe, It comes in various sizes. You could put the pipe in the cooler hole and then figure a way to secure it to the front of the A/C. Then cover the A/C to keep the rain out of the front controls. Try not to cover the vent on the back or sides of the A/C so you do not burn up the motor.

Thanks so much guys-- ya'll have been really helpful! --Katie[/QUOTE]

It will look something like this.

9strip4.jpg

This looks different from your tent, but here is a Coleman tent with an AC hooked up.

I like how this camper kept it simple:

Jonas908155.jpg

TCD

We've never done it but loaned a 110v. window unit to a young couple with an inconsolable baby one weekend. He was home on leave from Iraq. Gave them instant relief for a really unhappy little one. Cool can make all the difference!

IMHO I would put it in the door opening and seal with the clips and blue tarp. Trying to use the cooler opening is going to fail for a couple reasons. You have to remember that a A/C doesn't just blow cold air, it takes in the warm room air, cools it, removes some of the moisture and blows it back into the room. Trying to duct tape a trash bag to the cooler opening and having the outgoing and incoming air travel through that small opening isn't going to be very efficient. Also trying to set the unit up completely outside and running a duct for the outgoing cold air to the cooler opening won't work because the unit will now be sucking in outside air instead of the warm tent air, it won't remove any of the moisture from the tent and may actually create a moisture problem inside by causing the moisture in the air to condense on everything inside. Also the thermostat won't function properly because it's sitting outside the tent and it will be very difficult to waterproof the controls without covering up some vital intake or outgoing vent. Don't mean to rain on anyones parade. Hope this info helps.

We've never adjusted our tent for our AC. We use the back window and place the AC unit on top of the table, and Fridge on the other end. We use a tarp to cover over the top and sides, And place the AC against the screen.

If your flap has a screen, I'd suggest leaving the screen shut to help keeps the bugs out. They can get into tiny crevasse. If not make sure you wrap the tarp as tightly as possible around the unit, and then clip it every two inches to the opening.

Make sure you prop it up. It creates a lot of water out the back, and it needs to be at an angle to run properly. So if you get a couple blocks from home depot, make sure you place a piece of wood on top of them that's cut at a slight angle. It should only be like a 15 degree angle, to wear the bubble on a level should be just outside the lines.

And not only would it be helpful during a power outage. If you have a room that gets a little hotter than the rest, it'll help save on your electric bill to have a room ac for cooling it. (kari's father worked for the electric company and allowed her to use a room ac because the computer would make it hot and uncomfortable) Of course it was a high energy star rating and cost about 50$ a year to run.

Make sure any one you get is small enough that it doesn't take like 3 people to carry. And make sure to get a smaller BTU, just because you have a bigger unit, it doesn't mean it'll cool any faster or work any better. You want to get one appropriate to the right size.

We went camping the first time in July and it was the worst mistake... We've never gone without it since then.

No, you definatly want the back part to be sticking out, and completely sealed away from "inside air". That's how window units work.

Of course for like 150 or so, you can buy room units that stand alone inside the room. But That's generally for rooms that are already slightly cooled.

You can't create cold without create a reaction with heat... that's how room ac works.

I don't worry about a tight seal as much because it's blowing through the screen. And I've never had rain ruin any controls. The AC unit has been stuck in our truck bed before during rain. And well, if it's a window AC... the back is designed to be in the outside weather.

Post 8 is a good example of having it right. Just make sure to try and keep the tarp around the front part, not blocking the outside ventilation. And yes it will definatly help with keeping the moisture out of the tent at night. And plus with an extra tarp over the top of the tent, it will help keep the cool in. (I've noticed a difference when I forgot to bring the tarp). And keep it a little darker in the morning for a bit of sleeping in.

I like this set up with only one additional suggestion...

IMG_7121.jpg

Here in Florida (and now in particular) rain water after our afternoon torrential rains take a bit to soak into the ground. My only suggestion with this would be to elevate the unit off of the ground about 8-10 inches. Concrete blocks with a board should do the trick - or the heavy plastic storage crates would work, too.. You don't want the unit sitting in standing water. Also - try your best to make the seal between the A/C unit & tent as tight as possible. Why? The A/C unit draws humidity out of the air, and if you're conditioning the outside air as well as the inside air, everything in your tent will be slightly damp.

Thanks for the additional info, guys. We are planning on using the tarp/binderclip set up (thanks for posting those pics!) with four by four wooden blocks under the a/c to prop it up. We bought the $100 Walmart special, so it's only 5,200 BTU's-- that should be plenty for a tent. We leave on Saturday and get back on Tuesday night-- I'll try to post back and let you guys know how it went! --Katie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter