Anyone ever fish from the dock @ FW?

DebºoºS

DIS Veteran
We would like to go fishing the first day of our trip. It would be myself, DH & DSs (23 & 17) All of us have experience fishing. I looked into the excursions and well it's a lot of money for the 4 of us. After some reading I saw that there's pole fishing at FW. Anyone ever rented poles and fished from the dock? Is it worth it or should I go for broke and take an excursion?

Fishing is not allowed from docks and bridges, but fishing is allowed from every water bank there is. All catch and release.

Is that considered private property, ie: what kind of rules / regs for needing a license? Can you use your own equipment / bait and all that type of stuff?

Thanks, had to go back and re-read the official site which is a little confusing to me. With all this planning it doesn't take much.
Key word is Dockside
Dockside Outings
Roll up your pant legs and hunker down for a day of fishing - the old fashioned way. Find your ideal spot, cast out your line and enjoy some dockside Cane Pole Fishing.

Dockside Fishing is available, without advance reservations, at the following Resort locations:
  • Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
  • Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campgrounds
Where is this in FW? That's what I meant by dock. Guess it's more of a pier.
fish.jpg

Is that considered private property, ie: what kind of rules / regs for needing a license? Can you use your own equipment / bait and all that type of stuff?

Private property - no license needed - and yes, you can use your own stuff. :thumbsup2

DebºoºS;33699390 said:
Where is this in FW? That's what I meant by dock. Guess it's more of a pier.
fish.jpg

Hmm.... is that the old River Country boardwalk? Can you actually still get in there or is it closed off now?

Where's Frank when you need him? :fish:

Deb and Monique-

That dock photo is not from Ft. Wilderness! That is the old Dixie Landings fishing hole!

It is one of the many fake photos that you can now find on the official WDW website. They also show people riding bikes at the Boardwalk and I guess imply that they are at Fort Wilderness.

Check out this page of my Thanksgiving 2008 report for the details:

TCD's Thanksgiving 2008 report on the Wilderness Swamp Trail
(after you click on this link, scroll up the page to see what the Wilderness Swamp Trail boardwalk looked like before it was removed)

TCD

You can catch some catfish, bass, bream on night crawlers and plastics and around Nov and Feb crappie on minnows and jigs. Best place is near and around 300 loop dam and closer to the lake by the old conctete wall. BDR caught a nice "cat" near the 2000 loop also. If you can afford the splurge at times you can catch some lunkers and quantities of bass on an excursion.

If you have some time to kill, there are pix of fish from The Fort and excursions on this thread.

http://www.rvusa.org/dev/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=387

Last week there were people fishing from the dock on the canal between the Bike Barn and the Meadows.

Deb and Monique-

That dock photo is not from Ft. Wilderness! That is the old Dixie Landings fishing hole!

TCD
Wow thanks TCD!!!:worship:
That's really annoying, frustrating and down-right un Disneylike of Disney.
Can you imagine how if I'd brought my whole family down to FW from SSR early in the am to go fishing on a dock that wasn't there? This is a birthday trip for my DHs 60th. What a way to start celebrating!

You can catch some catfish, bass, bream on night crawlers and plastics and around Nov and Feb crappie on minnows and jigs. Best place is near and around 300 loop dam and closer to the lake by the old conctete wall. BDR caught a nice "cat" near the 2000 loop also. If you can afford the splurge at times you can catch some lunkers and quantities of bass on an excursion.

If you have some time to kill, there are pix of fish from The Fort and excursions on this thread.

http://www.rvusa.org/dev/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=387

Thanks Denise, the info and the pics are encouraging. Do you stand on the edge of the lake? Is it in tall grass and are these places easy to find?
Sorry about all the questions.

Last week there were people fishing from the dock on the canal between the Bike Barn and the Meadows.

Thanks Judy, feeling better now. Maybe there's hope that I can pull this off:)

I stay on the bank, DH will walk in the water off the beach. The grass on the bank is mowed but there are some water grasses growing, waders would be nice if you have some. EZ to find go in 300 loop and follow dog walk directions to the canal. Right is bream, fishing left is bass and have seen nice crappie caught by the dam [ lake side ].

I stay on the bank, DH will walk in the water off the beach. The grass on the bank is mowed but there are some water grasses growing, waders would be nice if you have some. EZ to find go in 300 loop and follow dog walk directions to the canal. Right is bream, fishing left is bass and have seen nice crappie caught by the dam [ lake side ].

Great thanks, I made a note of the directions. That sounds perfect. They've talked about it every trip. To spend some quiet time hanging out fishing. After that I thought we'd have a quick lunch somewhere at FW.

I would like to point out that a couple years ago Denise and I did a 4 hour "fishing excursion" and it WAS at the peak of the season, and it was one of those once inna life time experiences, BUT, I stopped counting bass at 140,,and the smallest ran about 2 lbs....

The worst "fishing excursion" I have ever done on Baylake, I caught 4 bass in 2 hours. Thats a bass every half hour and I can't do that well at home on most days.

So yes,, the excursions are $$$,,but if you can handle the price tag, I say go for it, :thumbsup2

I would like to point out that a couple years ago Denise and I did a 4 hour "fishing excursion" and it WAS at the peak of the season, and it was one of those once inna life time experiences, BUT, I stopped counting bass at 140,,and the smallest ran about 2 lbs.... the big ones bout 5-6 lbs

The worst "fishing excursion" I have ever done on Baylake, I caught 4 bass in 2 hours. Thats a bass every half hour and I can't do that well at home on most days.

So yes,, the excursions are $$$,,but if you can handle the price tag, I say go for it, :thumbsup2

Another place you can fish is right outside the Meadows Trading Post back doors. It's a small dock. Lots of small sunfish. A good spot I found a couple of weeks ago was right across the street from the 1500 loop bus stop. The canal runs under the road. Pretty good fishing there with nightcrawlers. I caught a couple of nice, but ugly, catfish and several bream there.
Good luck.:thumbsup2

Hubs and daughter brought their own poles and fished the lake near the Golf Cart Rental and didn't catch a thing...and they are big time fishermen...like offshore sport fish...

Hubs and daughter brought their own poles and fished the lake near the Golf Cart Rental and didn't catch a thing...and they are big time fishermen...like offshore sport fish...

Wow really !?!? I'm really sorry to hear that,, I reck'n thats why they call it "fish'n" and not "catch'n".
I couldn't begin to count how many times we've fished the Fort/Disney and have never been skunked. There were times we didn't catch a whole lot fish'n from the bank, but never skunked.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter