Anyone ever exchange to DL Paris?

KLR-wlv

DIS Veteran
DH and I are planning a trip to Paris next summer for our 10th anniversary - and we were going to go alone - but the more I think about it I would like to take the kids. And if we take the kids, we HAVE to go to DL Paris (I think it's all an excuse for me to see that cool castle...). I was just wondering if anyone had exchanged to Newport Bay specifically and what it's like??? Thanks!

KLR

I used points in '95 to stay at Newport Bay at DLP. It is a beautiful hotel, reminding you of the Yacht/Beach club type. It is a very large, sprawling, hotel, and our room happened to be at the very end of one of the wings, so we had an extremely long walk from the elevator. The rooms were really nice, however, and "americanized". We were finishing a 3 week jaunt through Europe, and my then-10-year-old son was very glad for those american pillows. All the hotels were walking distance to the park and the downtown Disney area. (It was at the time called Festival Disney). Hotels are all walking distance to the train station as well. We took the train into Paris a couple of times, and the ride was about 45 minutes. They included park passes with our points then - we were there 4 nights (actually too long for just the one small park), and the passes were good for 3 days. The one down side to the hotels, and Europe in general, is the smoke. Even the non-smoking sections of restaurants at DLP were just a few tables, which were not very isolated. All in all, though, I would visit again, and I would use points. I am eager to see the new studio park when it opens there.

Thanks for the info! You said park passes were included with the points then - did that change - I was under the impression they still were...Do you know when the studios are due to open? I've been searching the internet for information today - and it's rather difficult to come by. THe official site is based out of ENgland and they don't have hotel rates listed.

Thanks again
KLR

KLR-wlv all the non-DVC programs are subject to change. The info for 2002 should be out very shortly and should include the point schedule and whether passes are included or not. I'm not sure what the policy was for 2001.

We had a wonderful trip on points with our two DD's, first staying 5 days in London at the Hotel Royal Garden and then we took the Eurostar train right into DLP and stayed another 5 days there, we originally had booked at the Disneyland Hotel, but they overbooked and asked us if we would rather have a one-bedroom suite in Hotel NY, since it gave us our own room and the kids had the sleeper sofa out in the living room plus a half bath out there for them and there own TV too, it was great, the room was huge, plus we like the location much better, it was very spooky walking from the DLH past the dark train station back over to the Disney village and then to our hotel, the Sequoia Lodge is after the NY and then a longer walk around the reflection pool to the Newport, I felt it was a long walk from the Disney Village but it is also very nice.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the Newport Bay, but that's only based on one stay. We got a room right near the video arcade and it was very noisy. :(

Although the hotel was very nice I felt it was in need of refurbshment.

We stayed in Sequoia Lodge on points in July. We got a very standard room, straight over the entry (= bus stand) and even worse housekeeping hadn't been and the curtains were hanging of the rail. We went back to guest services to complain and were given a honeymoon suite :bounce: :bounce:

If you want to make it a special trip try staying in the Disneyland Hotel.

The studio's are expected to open end of March.

If you have any questions on DLP, mail me privately.

JJ Penguin

I've stayed at the Sequoia Lodge and the Hotel New York and perfered the Sequoia. No complaints about the rooms in either, I just prefered the ambiance.

If possible I would suggest try the Disneyland Hotel at it is only a few points more and looks WONDERFUL.

I would suggest making a dinner reservation to eat at the latest the morning of the day you want to eat but preferably a week or so before as the restaurants get VERY BUSY at closing time of the parks. Of the restaurants in the park I thought the one that is in the Pirates of the Caribbean was the nicest looking. This also needs to be booked a week or so in advance.

PS I have to agree on the smoking, it is VERY noticable and if you are anti-smoking be prepared to be annoyed on a regular basis. Smoking in lines for food, rides, even on rides and walking through HEAVY crowds during parades.

Did anyone else feel uncomfortable walking back from the Disneyland Hotel to the other hotels at night past the train station, when we were there it was very dark and the only security was a guard checking ID's at the gate to the DLH.

We've stayed at New York(1x), Newport(2x) and Sequoia(3x) and
I too prefer the Sequoia(ambience and like having a drink in the evening at the Redwood bar). They don't have room service but you can go to the Beaver's Creek restaurant, order anything on the menu and take it to the room. As for the restaurants reservations , if you can't call ahead do your reservations when you check-in. We didn't made reservations one time and we couldn't get a table before 10:45pm!
Normr,
I wouldn't like either returning in the dark from Disney village to the Disneyland hotel but I guess that wouldn't be a problem if you go in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter