Anyone else's summer come to a horrible end already?

Arizona here. My kids started back at school this past week. It's been 110 or higher all week. It's fine. Just go from 1 air conditioned space to another. No reason to postpone the school year for that.
That was my school experience in Sacramento in the 1960's. Oh, except NO air conditioned spaces at school. In those days school ran from after Labor Day until mid June. September, October, May and June frequently had 100 degree days. We sure are a lot more sensitive to hot weather than we used to be.

DS16 starts on 8/10 and I'm already mad at the district. They decided at the late July school board meeting that clear backpacks were required for the school year. Parents were furious because they had already bought backpacks and some couldn't afford them. Some parents were also upset because it violated their kids' privacy. Because of parent uproar, they postponed that to January and are looking into buying them for parents who can't afford them.

DS12 starts on August 23. I found out last week that he had outgrown all of his school uniforms so we had to go to the uniform shop to get him measured. It was a zoo.

Is anybody in the Dallas Fort Worth area?
I am concerned about the extreme high temperatures and red flag fire alerts and air quality alerts for almost a month now…
Can not believe school will not be delayed if this continues .
Has anything specific been in the news?
Thank you …
All of the schools have air conditioning so why would it be delayed? It's not like they can go outside at home either unless they have a pool. My kids are walking the dogs right before it gets dark so they don't burn the dogs' paws. Honestly, I wish they'd start back in early August and get out in early May when the weather is nicer and they can be outside. It was so hot last summer that for the first time ever since they opened in 1935 their sleepaway camp bought air conditioners for the cabins.

Where in the heck do you live that schools starts this early?

Here in SE WI, our public schools usually start after Labor Day unless it would too late, then last days of Aug. This year they start Sept 5, about the latest start there's been. School ends 2nd week into June.

I will add that I do not know many people (myself included) who want to take vacations in June. Everyone seems to want JULY and AUGUST. These are the times when everything is "happening" like Festivals, Fairs, Outdoor Concerts. My family camps and unless it's later June, it's too early for fresh water swimming ( too cold) in June.

Here in SE WI, our public schools usually start after Labor Day unless it would too late, then last days of Aug. This year they start Sept 5, about the latest start there's been. School ends 2nd week into June.

I will add that I do not know many people (myself included) who want to take vacations in June. Everyone seems to want JULY and AUGUST. These are the times when everything is "happening" like Festivals, Fairs, Outdoor Concerts. My family camps and unless it's later June, it's too early for fresh water swimming ( too cold) in June.

School has started all over in the Southern US

Summer to me is essentially July and August, so there’s about a month left. Kids go back to school after Labor Day. LOL, I always think of the song, “See You In September”. I know there’s regional differences, but I’ve always known the school year and summer vacation to align more closely with the actual season of summer, which is approx. June 21 to Sept 21. The last two weeks of August, into the first week of Sept. is traditionally when many families here travel on vacation.

For those of us in the South, most schools get out in late May or early June; so vacation times tend to be in June/July before the heat of August takes over and melts us into the earth. Though the heat of July can also melt us into the earth too. 🙄 I'd rather my kids be in school in the air conditioning when it's 97 degrees with a 110 heat index with 85% humidity.

I’m in the midwest and school has started mid August since my adult kids were in grade school. Pretty much since they got the last of our schools air conditioned (through a series of bond issues).

I always liked it since we could scoot out on summer vacation before all the “after Labor Day” starters got out for the summer. And before the most oppressive heat hit us.

My DD19 leaves the 16th to go back to college :sad: . Her classes start the 21st.

She’s very excited, and even though our house is super boring when she’s gone, I’m excited for her.
Are you already planning care packages? That used to help me.

Im a teacher and went back on Friday. My son starts kindergarten this Thursday :(
:hug: It's a big change, but I bet he'll love it!

Are you already planning care packages? That used to help me.
No, I don’t mail anything - we see her many weekends when we go to watch her games. Even though we are lucky to be able to do that (she’s about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away) we still miss her at home horribly - she brings such a fun energy to the house.

The South. Lol. The majority of our fairs, festivals, and special events happen in the spring and fall and they slow down to a trickle during the summer. We plan any local vacations (Georgia, Florida) for June, and I encourage my son to choose camps that are scheduled for June because, in the past, his July camps have had their programs modified due to heat advisories. My in-laws keep coming to visit the last week of July and I keep telling them those six weeks between mid-July and the end of August are the absolute worst time of year to be here. 90* days with 90% humidity is a miserable combination. No one wants to do anything but sit inside and stay cool. May and October, however, are glorious, and we take full advantage of our “shoulder seasons.”

My step-daughter is still on summer vacation. I believe her classes start back on August 21? She is moving back to IU (which is an hour and some change away) on the 19th. That is not a lot of time to reacclimate before going back to class.

The South. Lol. The majority of our fairs, festivals, and special events happen in the spring and fall and they slow down to a trickle during the summer. We plan any local vacations (Georgia, Florida) for June, and I encourage my son to choose camps that are scheduled for June because, in the past, his July camps have had their programs modified due to heat advisories. My in-laws keep coming to visit the last week of July and I keep telling them those six weeks between mid-July and the end of August are the absolute worst time of year to be here. 90* days with 90% humidity is a miserable combination. No one wants to do anything but sit inside and stay cool. May and October, however, are glorious, and we take full advantage of our “shoulder seasons.”
I was asking the OP since they had stated school starting in JULY. I've never heard of that, except a year round school schedule. I'm old school. When I was in grade school, it was start date of after Labor day. I was aware southern states started weeks earlier in AUG. From reading all the posts I'm now aware that school schedules vary all over the calender!!! I live in WI and we are in full swing for outdoor activities. LOL, we cheeseheads have to cram as much fun into 3 months as we can!!!

:rolleyes1 Horrible end?!? Based on the title, am I the only one who DID NOT expect this thread to be about the school calendar?

I totally agree with you. I read this thread a few days ago. Based on the title, it gave me flashbacks to when my spouse was diagnosed with incurable cancer one July. He passed a few short months later. I was a teacher and summers have never been the same since. I came back to the thread to see if there was a way that I could hide it since the title has been activating my PTSD for the past several days. :oops:

I was asking the OP since they had stated school starting in JULY. I've never heard of that, except a year round school schedule.
The teachers went back in July. The first day of school for students was August 2nd (August 1st for my daughter who is also a teacher in a different county).

Because of how the calendar moves, next year it is looking like student start dates of July 31st for my wife and July 30th for my daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter