• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else with Disney Gift Cards from Canceled Trips?

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I have about $350. worth of Disney Gift Cards that I bought on a discount and used/planned to use at Disneyland. Now, I'm starting to feel like I would rather have the money - which isn't a choice. Just curious what other people are doing. I am thinking maybe I'll see if I want to buy something online at some point and just use them. My first choice would be to use for food at Disneyland or the hotels, but I don't know when that will be an option.

I have about $1500 in Disney gift cards right now. I buy a couple a month as a means of saving for my pass each year. I am still working fully (perks of working for an insurance company), so not needing the money back right now. My pass expired end of March (or should have), so now I have the money on hand to buy my pass when the parks do re-open (whenever that might be). So no plans to spend the gift cards right now.

I have them but I’m not spending them on anything I don’t “need”. Like if it’s a gift or some merchandise I’d spoil myself with anyway I’ll give preference to finding something at ShopDisney but aside from that they’re in the sock drawer until I can travel again.

I have a little over $200 in GCs. I'm holding on to them for now. I have been tempted by a few things on Shop Disney though...specifically that Mickey waffle maker. But then I remind myself I don't need another appliance that will be used so infrequently.

There is a lady on the cruise ship board that paid for the whole family to cruise and got cancelled, $12, 000 worth of gift cards and they have no idea when they can all go again.

That's not too bad. There's someone on another section of the forum that has $11,000 in Disney gift cards. YOWZA!!!

There is a lady on the cruise ship board that paid for the whole family to cruise and got cancelled, $12, 000 worth of gift cards and they have no idea when they can all go again.

That’s almost what I paid for a 100pt VGC DVC contract, holy moley. I can’t imagine spending that much for one trip, but I know that’s the standard price for a family for DCL. Yeeesh!

That’s almost what I paid for a 100pt VGC DVC contract, holy moley. I can’t imagine spending that much for one trip, but I know that’s the standard price for a family for DCL. Yeeesh!

That's at the low end for a family of 4/5. Prices go towards and even through $20K for many of the Alaskan and European itineraries.

LAX

I have about $350. worth of Disney Gift Cards that I bought on a discount and used/planned to use at Disneyland. Now, I'm starting to feel like I would rather have the money - which isn't a choice. Just curious what other people are doing. I am thinking maybe I'll see if I want to buy something online at some point and just use them. My first choice would be to use for food at Disneyland or the hotels, but I don't know when that will be an option.
Your gift cards should not expire in CA, so you can hang on to them until you decide what to do with them. We're keeping ours, at least until the parks reopen. It's not like we won't find something to spend them on at Disney! Just double check any gift cards that were a "gift with purchase" or promotional gift -- sometimes those do have an expiration date on them, so check the fine print!

Just a friendly reminder to SPEND your gift cards for stores like JC Penney, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Saks, etc... a lot of them are actively contemplating bankruptcy (JCP), or are likely headed that direction. Best to use them now vs becoming an unsecured creditor with the court.

Probably safe with Disney, but know that’s a risk of holding them regardless of state laws (bankruptcy laws are federal).

I know California mandates that you can 'cash out' gift cards with a balance under $10.00. Not sure about other states.

Mentos is right..if you hold a gift card with a business that files bankruptcy you are on the very bottom tier of creditors. I'd certainly be looking at spending any GC for a business that has rumors of bankruptcy.

I have a card worth a smidge under $1,000 because I churn constantly for Disney GCs. It was to be used to pay towards the balance on a short DCL this fall break, but I cancelled that trip. We will go to Disneyland instead at some point later this year or in 2021. Over on the cruise board there are people with insane amounts on GCs that they got back from DCL! First world problems and all. 😃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter