Anyone else thinking of cancelling their fall room reservations because of Covid

Boardwalk Tigger

DIS Veteran
We had a March 2020 reservation that was cancelled in March by Disney and we rescheduled for early October 2020. Strongly thinking about cancelling again. I’m fearful about going into Florida at this point. Anyone else trying to decide about cancelling for fall?

We just cancelled a early Nov trip. But it was only partly due to the covid numbers. Yes, we are home with staying out of stores, masks, washing hands 30 times a day, it's not like we don't think it's a worry. But for us, it's also all the changes - ME getting own bags, no hopping, no fireworks, no shows- just takes away so much for us.

I feel you. Disney cancelled my April trip to Yacht Club. 😭. We rebooked for September. Things seem so out of control in Florida that I'm thinking to cancel again and try for March.

We live 1 hr from WDW and canceled a Tgiving week long trip and Dec long weekend trip. Just will not be the Disney experience we have come to love.

We had a trip planned this past May. Rebooked first this September and today we just rebooked for next may. Hopefully things will be looking up by then

We booked April 2020, then changed to September 2020. Just made the change to April 2021. I'm not worried about doing Disney in a mask or observing social distancing--it's the current numbers coming out of Florida. I wouldn't have gone to NYC in April and I'm not going to Florida now. NYC recovered because most everybody stayed home. Doesn't look like FL is doing that.

We booked April 2020, then changed to September 2020. Just made the change to April 2021. I'm not worried about doing Disney in a mask or observing social distancing--it's the current numbers coming out of Florida. I wouldn't have gone to NYC in April and I'm not going to Florida now. NYC recovered because most everybody stayed home. Doesn't look like FL is doing that.
Agreed! We’re in Western CT, and went through the COVID19 surge in March and April. Not as bad as NYC, but still bad, and we stayed at home. Right now our numbers look really good, but it’s entirely because people are taking precautions seriously. I, too, have no problem wearing a mask, washing my hands, and giving a generous space cushion to everyone around me. I give lots of credit to Disney and Universal for enacting and, more importantly, enforcing, their precautions, but the parks aren’t open 24hrs/day and the community spread is too high for me to be able to go and relax now.

We had May canceled, and right now I’m holding on to the November rebooking. But I’ll cancel if the situation hasn’t drastically improved.

We had a March 2020 reservation that was cancelled in March by Disney and we rescheduled for early October 2020. Strongly thinking about cancelling again. I’m fearful about going into Florida at this point. Anyone else trying to decide about cancelling for fall?
We're going to POP on the 8th of Sept. Disappointed that the shows aren't happening....but I feel WDW is going "over and above" to make it safe. We're all positive for antibodies.....which makes the decision to go much easier....but I'm in that mindset that believes we have to figure out a way to move forward...can't live in a bubble forever!! Hope it all works out for you!

We're not cancelling our trip for Jan yet. We would've cancelled a fall trip by now, too many areas of uncertainty still. Beside quarantines and experience, I'd rather not be at FL's mercy if one/all of us got sick. There's a higher chance at exposure compounded by timing. Don't want to get sick there the week the health system ends up compromised. The situation feels like a joy ride, not the happy kind but dangerously fast in a stolen vehicle.

There are acceptable risks in life and others easily minimized. I'm hopeful much will change by the time the holidays roll around so these concerns are left in the past. The people of Florida may win this fight soon. We're all rooting for them.

We have a trip booked for early December but like others have said our trip is not locked in stone. FL has scary COVID numbers these days but I’m hoping they fade by Thanksgiving. Need some pixie dust!

^this

Unless you have other plans for the deposit money or need to make a call on the trip now for whatever reason I see no reason not to wait it out.
Yeah, it's not bad for people to wait it out closer to the date. Many trips don't have that flexibilty though.

We are DVC so definitely time limitations. Need to bank points. Cancel flights etc. I’m still waiting this week to decide but when I think of having to get on a plane and get in elevators at airport and hotel I get worried due to Covid. I’m paying attention to what people are posting but people here say we are crazy to even think of going to Florida! 🙁

We are DVC so definitely time limitations. Need to bank points. Cancel flights etc. I’m still waiting this week to decide but when I think of having to get on a plane and get in elevators at airport and hotel I get worried due to Covid. I’m paying attention to what people are posting but people here say we are crazy to even think of going to Florida! 🙁
You need to trust your own analysis. “People” have a plethora of opinions. And then in 2 months you’ll find yourself wishing them well on their trip to FL... If you will worry and stress about it for the next couple months keeping it might not be the right call for you. Sure everything might be great but if you need a 3 week vacation to come down off the extra stress having the trip booked put on you for the last 3 months it’s not worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not bad for people to wait it out closer to the date. Many trips don't have that flexibilty though.
That’s why I LITERALLY said unless you need to make a call now for whatever reason.

You’d be amazed at how many people are cancelling who don’t need to make a call right now and then regretting it like a day later. I think it’s a mix of stress + panic doing it to folks. OP has to make the call now but I’ve seen too many DIS cancellations who didn’t have to make the call forcing themselves to make one right now 😔

That’s why I LITERALLY said unless you need to make a call now for whatever reason.

You’d be amazed at how many people are cancelling who don’t need to make a call right now and then regretting it like a day later. I think it’s a mix of stress + panic doing it to folks. OP has to make the call now but I’ve seen too many DIS cancellations who didn’t have to make the call forcing themselves to make one right now 😔
It's complicated and you hit the nail on the head with stress. Most people from my area put alot of planning into a trip. Getting time off of work, adjusting schedules, changes with kids/school, pet sitter, flight, rental car, resort, tickets, quarantines, experience, other deal breakers, on and on. Refund deadline plays its part but often it's just one detail among many. The stress of juggling all these details and cutoffs around several uncertainties hanging overhead can get too heavy. If they're down to a slim chance of making it a go then maybe it's just not worth wasting the mental space to carry it anymore.

We are DVC as well. We had a DVC trip planned for October and cash trip for December. I had until July 31 to bank points so finally made the call to switch the two trips. This way, if things aren’t improved by October, I can cancel and not lose my points. Airfare is SW so I won’t technically lose that either unless as long as we fly by May. It just feels less stressful now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter