• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else spending way less money?

We are spending more actually, even though I'm cooking at home more. We are both still going to work, so no changes there. Biggest change for us is that one of our adult sons decided to come to stay with us and ride this thing out. He can work remotely and didn't want to be pent up in his apartment all alone. So we are spending more on the groceries. He has more than once volunteered money for groceries and we decline it. The mom in me kinda likes having him home, lol.
Your lucky, my son & 3 grandsons, a girl on the way live in Austin & we are in Florida, so much time on our hands & we can’t see them. Enjoy your son being home!

I'm not sure. Spending more on groceries, less on eating out (including DH's normal work lunches), less on gas. But we've also made some "support our online small business" purchases that we wouldn't normally do. So I think we are mostly around the same, maybe a little less.

Craft stuff. I've taken up counted cross-stich, of all things

What are you working on? I just finished a simple little lighthouse with some shore for my mom. It was super basic but fun to do.

I'm spending a lot. I now hate to shop at the insane grocery store, so we get a lot of take out. I've also done a fair amount of online shopping. And booking Disney vacations...

I think I'm overcompensating for being isolated and depressed. My S.O. has been out of state visiting family since before this really hit hard. I share custody of my son, getting him during the week when he's mostly working on his very authentic virtual learning from his excellent high school, then his dad gets him on weekends. And I'm working from home, but it's very unsatisfying as it's nothing like really being at work (I'm an elementary school teacher, used to spending all day with sweet kids- that's gone now as our district doesn't even allow video classes with students). I've been following social distancing rules by not going over to visit my sister & brother-in-law, my sweet nieces, or my mother. The high point of each day is walking the dog with my son. We did it yesterday even though it was raining a little. Just had to get out.

Not liking all of this. At all.

Last edited:

Not really-trying to support local restaurants and doing a lot of curbside plus tipping way more than I normally would since I feel bad for the workers (well that and the atm only gives out 20’s and I don’t want to be having to deal with any contact so I just hand them a 20. )

What are you working on? I just finished a simple little lighthouse with some shore for my mom. It was super basic but fun to do.

Right now, a kit with a bicycle and flowers that says "Its all about the journey". I'm not sure which I'll start after that. I've got a few downloaded designs I picked up - a couple of sassy/political slogans, a sea otter, and the Beauty & the Beast rose. So it'll be one of those.

I’m not sure yet.

We’re spending much less on eating out. We’re not even getting take-out because I’m too worried about possibly picking up the virus from the food containers.

DD & older DS also aren’t commuting 45 minutes each way to college every day, so we’re saving on gas. Plus, gas is a lot cheaper right now, so it’s not taking as much for DH to fill up his car for his commute to work.

I’m not having to buy supplies for the co-op class I was teaching, & I‘m also not buying new Easter outfits for everyone. I did order some stuff for the kids’ Easter baskets though.

However, we’re spending WAY, WAY MORE on groceries.

I keep thinking that we have enough, but then we end up running out of something or thinking of something I want to cook/bake. We keep running out of sliced cheese, bread, Buble/La Croix, chips, & ice cream.

Definitely more on groceries and less for eating out. We still get take out from local restaurants but it's not the same. I do find myself splurging more on flowers. I probably doubled or tripled my weekly budget. I guess I keep hoping flowers will make the days nicer. I even did my planter boxes, but it has been below freezing the last 2 nights, so I brought them back inside.

Definitely more on groceries and less for eating out. We still get take out from local restaurants but it's not the same. I do find myself splurging more on flowers. I probably doubled or tripled my weekly budget. I guess I keep hoping flowers will make the days nicer. I even did my planter boxes, but it has been below freezing the last 2 nights, so I brought them back inside.

I just bought flowers for my desk and my daughter's room where she's doing her schooling. I figured if we have to be stuck inside, we should have things around us that make us happy!

Just dropped more money on books for myself and my daughter. In my defense our state tax refund came through today. :)

I haven't bought books in so long that now it feels like I fell off the wagon. I was doing so well just going to the library. Oh well.

We are spending more on food. Have been stocking up for when cases surge here and we really don’t want to be anywhere near a grocery store. Had to have my brakes done which was about $500 I wasn’t really expecting in March.

Also going to order a new salt generator for our pool which we need to replace along with the salt and chemicals to get it going in case this stretches into summer and we are still at home. Don’t want to need one in May and then everyone is trying to get pool supplies and they are out of stock. Plus I noticed some stores are now closing aisles so you can only buy “essential” items so I’m planning ahead.

April should be better moneywise. I hope.🤪

Spending less here.
We used to go out to eat 3-4 times a week. Now cooking at home - we are buying more groceries so it comes out close to the same. Home cooked meals and fresh fruit and veggies are expensive. The schools closed so my neice has been with us since March 16th (my sis and bro-in-law are both still working) so I need to cook lunch for my daughter and her everyday. They eat constantly! I can't keep snacks in this house, they are gone right away, lol.
Working from home so not eating lunch out - saving $30-40 week. No bowling leagues for my husband or I right now - saving $80 week (bowling and drinking add up, lol). Not going to the Legion or out with friends every Saturday night - saving $100 week
That's just more money to put into our Disney savings account :D

We've spent next to nothing. Grocery store once in a great while. No gas, no take-out, lots of cooking at home! I should mention that my household is just 2 people so we have a big crowd. (our liquor store runs however....)

We spent $2,300 more in March than February. Having extra time searching the wine auctions on WineBid did me in. Bought a bunch of vintage Port.

Our grocery is fully stocked with fresh meat.
you're lucky...not a single store anywhere in my area has anything other than beef, which we don't eat. Lean chicken and pork are non existent right now

We'll be eating more takeout in the weeks ahead - it's pricier, but we want to support some worthy local restaurants...they're hurting big time right now. We don't want to see all the mom and pop places close.

We have been spending more on groceries, and we ordered a bunch of supplies for the hospital my school is affiliated with. At the beginning there was a lot of Amazon buying because I was in spring break. Now I’m more focused on school again so I haven’t had time to just browse Amazon.

Spending less on:
- Vacations. Canceled WDW, DLR, and Aulani trips plus a Disney cruise.
- Eating out. Although we didn't do that a ton to begin with unless on vacation.
- Gas. Only going out for groceries or necessary appointments.
- Daycare/preschool tuition. Our school isn't charging us tuition while they're closed so far.

Spending more on:
- Groceries. With everyone home all day we're going through everything faster and also getting more pantry and freezer items than usual. DH usually gets free lunch, coffee/drinks, and snacks at work but he's WFH now and constantly snacking on something..
- Things to entertain the kids. We're home with our 1 and 4 year olds so I've been ordering more things online for them.
- Utilities.

Overall we'll be spending less since vacations are a much bigger expense than the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter