• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else skinny but with a big belly (MEN)?

outofshape

Earning My Ears
I am 50 but feel like 80. For years I was the skinny boyish looking man. When I was in high school I weighed 125 pounds at 6 feet tall. I looked like they were starving me. So when I went to college I lived in the dorm and ate cafeteria food three meals a day. The people in my dorm all chipped in and sent me to a doctor to see why I could not gain any weight. The doctor said I was fine and I would gain weight if I just eat alot of food. He recommended those weight gaining shakes and about 5000 calories a day.

From age 18 to 22 I ate about 5000 calories a day and did exercise with weights, but only gained 10 pounds. By age 22 I weighed 135 pounds.

By the time I was 40 I was up to 150 pounds and at age 50 I am 180 pounds. But my wife says I am still skinny with small arms and legs and most of my weight in my belly.

Can anyone else relate to my situation?

I'm not a man, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. lol

While it's certainly true that fat goes certain places and not other places due to genetics (including sex), the fat in your stomach is primarily from excess carbs. Yep, it's actually possible to have a "beer belly"--though it might be from potatoes, bread, pasta and rice. Lay off the carbs, lose weight/pounds/fat, and the belly will go, along with any other fat deposits you have. It sucks, doesn't it, fat goes in one place sometimes, and it's often the last place to leave too, unfortunately.

Good luck!

HI, I am not a man, but my dad is that way. His arms and legs are very thin, yet his stomach is very large. He is 70, and has been this way since he was 40. Could be gender related.

hey outofshape :welcome: to WISH!! now what can we do about making your username just a whisper in your memory??

i can't relate to your situation, sorry; but i can relate to a realization of HEY! i don't like the way my body looks and heck, who can blame it! and then the decision and determination to educate myself, dig deep within myself and make changes. i applaud you! you have found a GREAT place to share in your journey!! and then who knows? maybe that belly will start to melt away as you get healthier?? :)

Sounds like your problem is almost entirely diet related. What type of doctor did you see? Unless you saw a nutritionist, most doctors aren't qualified to give diet advice. How did you know you were eating 5000 calories a day? Did you weigh all your food, and count your calories?

With some adjustments to your diet and adding consistent exercise, you should be able to fix your problem. How is your daily diet now? Are you exercising?

My husband has a "baby" in his belly. He is skinny all over (although not like he used to be) -but his gut extrudes, lol. Poor guy gets made fun of at work. He runs 4-5 miles several times a week (although he doesn't lift weights - but did tell me he did the other day).

I think I heard Dr. Oz say that it's a type of fat (duedendum) - or something like that.

How funny that DH and I were just talking about this last night. I'd love to figure out how to help him lose his baby. He is by no means fat at all, just a belly. Also - he doesn't drink. I've heard it referred to as a beer belly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter