Anyone else refuse to go to see Capt'n EO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had2stopLurking

Mouseketeer
I just can't do it on general principle. I actually complained on our last trip that I thought it was in VERY bad taste to bring that back.

I hope it goes away VERY soon!

I don't remember ever seeing it when I was little...so I went and saw it because I was curious. It was cheesy, but that's what amused me :)

Honestly, I don't really know why, but I can separate the two...I dont' think he's a great man, or someone to be a role model...but I do think the Captain Eo show was entertaining. Moreso than Honey I Shrunk the Audience, which is probably why Disney put it back.

I hate it. Saw it once in the 80's wish I had walked out. I was just there thursday and DS11 wanted to see it said forget it

I dont like it simply because I think Disney could do better. A. Disney is to big to buy in to hype of someones death, they can create there own hype thank you, and B. tommrow land is desperately in need of something new, not a blast from the past. Frankly im sick of hearing about how great Mj was, I dont think he was that great, I also dont think he was a child molestor. I just dont get it I guess. :confused3

What's a Captain EO?

In the 80's Micheal Jackson made a show for Disneyland called Captain EO. It was where Honey I Shrunk the Audience was. They put it back because fans were wanting to see it again. I'll see it because I saw it in the 80's but don't remember it that well. And anything is better than HISTA. I hope they are working on something good for that theater in the meantime.

I just can't do it on general principle. I actually complained on our last trip that I thought it was in VERY bad taste to bring that back.

Not sure what the general principle is. I will see EO - though when I saw it in the 80's it did not do a whole lot for me. But I want my kids to see it. If the general principle relates to Michael's legal troubles and moral issues, if you take that to its extreme you are going to have to skip most Hollywood movies (no Iron Man 2), most mainstream music, and most sports.

When I saw the This Is It tribute movie a few months ago I was reminded again of his immense talent. When we visit DL in July we will see EO once and that will be the end of it for me. I do not think EO has very high repeat value as an attraction at DL.

When we visit DL in July we will see EO once and that will be the end of it for me. I do not think EO has very high repeat value as an attraction at DL.

I agree. We saw it because it was something I remember hearing about growing up, but not something i ever remembered seeing. Definitely low repeat value- DH nor I have any reason to see it again. But it was nice to see it once.

I imagine this is filler while Disney comes up with something else for the space.

ITA. Ew. Won't step foot near it. Surprised Disney would do this. No need to explain myself. I am sure everyone is aware of why it is in bad taste.

All I see in EO is an old dated cheesey show. It's actually so dated it's funny. The only good coming out of it IMO, is somewhere for curious crowds to go. I doubt if there are many repeat attendees lol. We went in March out of my adult kids curiosity. It was exactly as horrible as it used to be. I don't recommend it and it isn't on anyone in my families must do list. Each their own, that's what I love about Disney :)

My kids hated HISTA when we went to DL in Feb/09, it scared them silly, and my DS5 had a meltdown when he went on TSMM as he thought that it was going to be similar. It was only with a great deal of encouragement that he went on it, and had a great time. IMHO I would rather have them create a completely new show for that venue, rather than bring back something from the 80's until they could come up with something better and worth seeing. Will I go to see Captain EO when I visit DL in Oct, probably not, as I've never been a big fan of Michael Jackson, but again this is a matter of personal preference, and is just one opinion amongst many.:3dglasses

I'm looking forward to seeing it this trip and so is my daughter. It was one of the highlights to my Grade Night in 1987 and I've told my daughter about how cool it was at the time so she is excited to get a chance to see it too. She's about the same age I was when I saw it in '87. We had never really seen that kind of 3D before so it was pretty special. I'm sure it will look dated now, but oh well, it's an experience.

I'll see it.

I hate all the hoopla surrounding MJ's death (& the rabid fans that look past all of his horrid behavior) but I'd see it again, just for old times' sake. He made some great music, not that Capt EO is part of that. I'd see it again just to see the "cheesieness"!

ITA. Ew. Won't step foot near it. Surprised Disney would do this. No need to explain myself. I am sure everyone is aware of why it is in bad taste.

I was very disappointed they brought it back. Considering his reputation and that Disneyland is for children, it is sick.

I was very disappointed they brought it back. Considering his reputation and that Disneyland is for children, it is sick.
MJ the person gave me the creeps. As for MJ the performer, I was always so-so about him. Since his death we have rewatched some of his old stuff with out teens (on youtube) and DW and I watched the "This Is It" movie. And I have to admit that seeing all of his work gave me a new appreciation for MJ the performer. He was incredible. Innovative. Unique. That has sparked my interest in seeing Eo again - although as I said it did not do much for me when I saw it in the 80's.

MJ was a huge Disney fan and you can read more about the Disney/MJ history at these links:

http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/121809_NF_BN_CaptainEo.html
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID512790.asp

I understand the position some folks take that link a performer's personal life with their stage life. Earlier in life I held similar sentiments.

My question to all of you is how far do you take this?

For example...

Johnny Depp - star of POTC 1, 2 and 3 and now part of the POTC ride. He was welcomed into DL for the movie premieres inside DL. And he also has a history of drug abuse and addiction. See http://www.people.com/people/johnny_depp. What do you do, avoid the movies and the ride at DL because of his private behavior?

Beach Boys - Their music plays constantly at DCA both in pre-recorded tracks and live by local performers. I love Beach Boys music. They also have a history of drug abuse - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_Boys. So, should we avoid DCA?

Owen Wilson (voice of Lightning McQueen) - Drug abuse and attempted suicide. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294996,00.html. Put away that Cars DVD and avoid the upcoming CarsLand at DCA if you are already not avoiding it because of the Beach Boys.

Amy Grant - Signature voice of World of Color. Left her husband and father of her three kids and married country singer Vince Gill. Maybe World of Color should be avoided because of her private life?

So for folks who say it is in bad taste for Disney to bring back Eo, I wonder how far bad taste extends? Julie Andrews and Dick VanDyke can only play so many roles for Disney.

:cool2:

OH come on don't even try it!

NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING can be worse than a crime against a child!!!!! Those examples you posted are just a JOKE! It is shame that you would even TRY to make the comparison.

I've been around here long enough to know where this is going. I am stopping now and I am out of here.

I do. I couldn't stand it when I saw it as a kid, and refuse to see it as an adult. Didn't really care for MJ. I'll let DH see it as I wait by the stroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter