• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else have Kong line issues?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
We were at IOA two weeks ago and had horrible luck with Kong Skull Island. Our first day there, it was closed the entire morning for technical issues. When it finally came back up, there were announcements that it was operating at limited capacity and waits were longer than usual. We got in the EP line anyway and waited 30 minutes and hadn't moved from the last turn where you walk down the long hallway. People ahead of us were sitting on the floor. We finally decided to walk back through the queue to exit and the EP line was all the way to the entrance, with stand-by being 180 minutes.

On our second day, which was two days later, we walked right into the EP queue and there were about 20-30 people ahead of us and it took a solid 25-30 minutes to get on the ride. Longest I've ever waited in an EP line during a not so busy time of year. They only had two rows of each car for EP riders and we watched as the stand by line was consistently let through with no stopping. There was no stand-by wait whatsoever, while the EP line piled up as far back as I could see. I mentioned this to the staff member manning the EP line and she ran off to tell someone but nothing changed. I was baffled why EP wasn't getting priority loading in this situation.

All in all, no big deal and we eventually got to ride - but something to be mindful of. Anyone else have poor queue experiences on Kong lately?

My experience with Kong last year at this time was pretty much exactly that. I was hoping it would be better this time. I guess not.

The first time we tried it broke down and they shut the line down. The second time it worked but express pass took forever. The third time we got on quickly but then it broke down during the ride and we had to sit there for a bit. On the plus side, we got a pass to ride anything out of the deal and since my daughter had on her birthday pin they didn’t take the ticket at forbidden journey so we used it on gringotts too. That made me happy it broke down since those rides didn’t have express back then.

We had no issues when we were there in October. I'd say we waited maybe 10 minutes in the express line all three times we rode it.

I’ve been on the ride many times
Have not ran into the issue you have

But did have the long delays due to ride break down on the potter ride
Aggravating isn’t it.....

Usually for those in the regular line and lines don’t move due to mechanical issues for the ride, tm issue an express pass
Just have to request it

Kong is popular and at different times of the day, long lines

We did it a few times in September. No issues with the queue. Actually i liked the queue better than the ride it self i guess.

Must have just hit a bad week with it then. I'm assuming the EP line issue was just bad EP management by staff. Not sure what the typical protocol is for moving the EP line, but thinking it was just an anomaly.

We rode it on Saturday night. The line reached 80 minutes wait time during the day, so we decided we would monitor the app and come back later. Well, when the time was down to 50 minutes, we went back and it had broken down. 45 minutes later it was back up and a wait time of 30 minutes. We were over in the Lost Continent area, ran back through HP and JP and got in just in time before the line skyrocketed again. We didn't have EP, but a lady we spoke to said her wait time was 30 minutes as well.

Rode it twice this week. First time, we waited exactly 1 hour in the Express line. Rode vehicle also didn't go outside.

2nd time was 1st thing in the morning and we walked right on. As soon as we got off, it broke down.

We had no issues last year in September and we rode it loads of times.

There was a delay for us going on it one day as it had stopped for a bit. But we went back around and came back later........longest wait with EP was 5 minutes or so and regular longest line we saw was 75 minutes. And a couple of times we didn’t go outside so assumed there had been some issues.

Wemon,y rode it once in December and it was a walk on for EP but regular line was 90 minutes. We wanted to do the regular line as our son hadn’t seen it yet, but regular line was just too long.

Rode it several times mid Feb. It had a consistently long line except for early morning, when it was always walk on. Broke down one morning as we were walking on a second time. After 10min, we gave up - not worth waiting since it was before 10am during the peak riding time.

Asked about a single rider line when there was a 70min wait. They said yes, it splits off once you enter the line. Well, that was a lie and there was no single rider line going. TM loading the ride said there was no single rider line all day... On the plus side, that queue is at least cool to wait in.

Here today and rode kong. 40 minutes standby and 35 minute express line. I complained to express line worker and filed complaint at guest service. They were not moving enough express people through and was very obvious. I don’t believe the ride operators knew how long the express line was backed up nor did they seem to care. It was ridiculous.

Was there at the end of February. On the Sunday 2/25 we were there and the Express line was the worse I had ever seen it. The next day on Monday 2/26 it was pretty much a walk on with Express and on 2/27 was also pretty much a walk on with Express.

Hogwarts Train then went down on Monday 2/26 early afternoon and was not up and running until about 1 the next day.

I think there are a few things impacting these issues.

1. There are just more people coming to Universal then before.

2. The animatronics involved in these new rides while fantastic to experience obviously takes more care and maintaining.

3. Unlimited Express was a perk of onsite resort guests only in the old days which meant that you could pretty much walk right onto all the rides with Express Pass (hotel room key). Now that folks who are not staying onsite can purchase Express passes coupled with the increased traffic from Potter fans, events, weekend crowds and holidays....Express lines can.....SOMETIMES.....be longer.

It’s just the growing pains of the Universal Orlando we all love so much.

3. Unlimited Express was a perk of onsite resort guests only in the old days which meant that you could pretty much walk right onto all the rides with Express Pass (hotel room key). Now that folks who are not staying onsite can purchase Express passes coupled with the increased traffic from Potter fans, events, weekend crowds and holidays....Express lines can.....SOMETIMES.....be longer.

It’s just the growing pains of the Universal Orlando we all love so much.
Express Pass that you can purchase has been around for long enough. At the very least since 2011 (I cannot remember if it was there in 2005 or not). I only mention this because your statement that I've quoted makes it sound like the ability to purchase Express Pass is a relatively newer thing. The effects you feel of being able to purchase Express Pass is something that has been around long enough. Express Passes are not cheap by any means and can be considered cost prohibitive for large enough groups so I don't think it's that many more people actually purchasing them.

Honestly a lot is really just how many more people have been visiting USO vs before.

But to your point it seems like the #1 advice given to people, especially those who are not planning on spending more than a day or two at USO, is to stay onsite at one of the participating hotels that offer Unlimited Express Pass included. To that point it could very well be more people staying onsite getting the perk than estimating it's the offsite folks driving up the time spent in line.

Express Pass that you can purchase has been around for long enough. At the very least since 2011 (I cannot remember if it was there in 2005 or not). I only mention this because your statement that I've quoted makes it sound like the ability to purchase Express Pass is a relatively newer thing

If you read my statement again you will see I referred to the days when the Unlimited Express was included with onsite Resort stay only as the...... OLD DAYS.....Before they were selling Regular Express and Unlimited Express to offsite guests. I have been going to Universal Orlando for many years. Back then you could basically walk onto every ride......and I can tell you.......people who were standing in regular line did not like it at all.......Universal saw a chance to sell the Express Pass and Unlimited Express Pass as an additional option to folks who are staying offsite and to those at budget onsite resorts if needed. A savvy business decision.

If you read my statement again you will see I referred to the days when the Unlimited Express was included with onsite Resort stay only as the...... OLD DAYS.....Before they were selling Regular Express and Unlimited Express to offsite guests. I have been going to Universal Orlando for many years. Back then you could basically walk onto every ride......and I can tell you.......people who were standing in regular line did not like it at all.......Universal saw a chance to sell the Express Pass and Unlimited Express Pass as an additional option to folks who are staying offsite and to those at budget onsite resorts if needed. A savvy business decision.
No I know what you were saying but you said "Now that folks who are not staying onsite can purchase Express passes" The bolded is what prompted my comment. At the very least it's been since 2011 since they have had EP available to purchase. When I read 'now that' it made it sound like it was much more recent when it's been long enough for any effects to have already been felt for enough time.

Many years ago uo had machines where you could get a express pass for one of three rides

I’m talking back in the earlier years when it wasn’t needed

You would have a choice of 3 rides to choose from and a choice of 3 time periods

I still have two of those tickets
If I could figure out how to post a pic of them, I would

Parks were not packed back then as they are now
Which is why I still have those tickets for ride/time slot

Many years ago uo had machines where you could get a express pass for one of three rides

I’m talking back in the earlier years when it wasn’t needed

You would have a choice of 3 rides to choose from and a choice of 3 time periods

I still have two of those tickets
If I could figure out how to post a pic of them, I would

Parks were not packed back then as they are now
Which is why I still have those tickets for ride/time slot

I remember that if you mean the free ones. I really wanted one for Jimmy Neutron but they were all sold out, but this was Thanksgiving.

Yes these were the free ones

I never needed to use them so saved them

Line waits were not an issue back then

We had a terrible express pass wait for Kong last September. Over 30 minutes. We stood for a very long time. Many people in line were very upset and quite a few left the line. Kong is particularly bad because it’s hard to tell if you are a first time rider how far you still have to go. And it’s just a dark, narrow tunnel. We would think we just had to turn the corner, then around the corner would be another long line. And we stood still. Just standing there. That’s the worst for a queue. They were not letting many EP people go at all. I assume if it had stopped there would be an announcement, but there was nothing. Just a lot of frustrated guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter