Anyone else have a toddler who's a bit of a maniac?

The Fire tablet comes with a one-year subscription to Amazon Kids, which SEEMS great, but every app is downloaded onto the device and you cannot remove them from the home page. At least, we couldn't find a way to do it even after Googling. I really only want two apps accessible right now--Disney Plus and ABC Mouse.

Did you get the regular fire tablet or the Fire Kids version? The tablet we have boots up in my daughter's profile and then there's a PIN to switch over to the parent profile which has the permission to block apps, remove apps, etc.

Every now and then I go and purge some of the more stupid games....

Did you get the regular fire tablet or the Fire Kids version? The tablet we have boots up in my daughter's profile and then there's a PIN to switch over to the parent profile which has the permission to block apps, remove apps, etc.

Every now and then I go and purge some of the more stupid games....

The Kids one that came with the cover. It's probably fine for other people, but I realized I'm way too entrenched in the iOS environment to figure it out. :D

Ok, I'm at 4 1/2 with the youngest and she's still like that. 🤦‍♀️ She doesn't throw herself on the floor in Target, but she mainly does all that at home. I guess it's a good thing (or so "they" tell me.) She is in preschool and she's an angel with other people. In fact, I was shocked when we went for a routine physical and she literally said and did nothing. It was the quietest she has ever been. I was shocked!

I think it's just a lack of control over their surroundings. She likes to boss everyone around so at home she does it to the older sister and us. We don't often listen, but sometimes we do if it's actually important and not just about a snack.

At Disney when she was slightly younger she was completely fine. Go figure. Had 1 meltdown at the pool and I took her back to the room.

Like others have said, have him pick a ride, pick a snack sort of thing and then most of the time I would imagine he will just be soaking in the environment.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear your little one was fine at Disney even if Target can still be challenging - I was thinking we had to master Target first, ha ha.

I will say, as far as my little guy just soaking in the environment - I don't know, that's what everyone says about toddlers and Disney, but this child just does not 'soak', lol! Wherever he goes whatever he does, he has like this Grand Master Plan for how he wants things to go. It's hard to explain but somehow he finds a mission right away, be it stacking rocks or running to a certain destination or climbing on something - whatever it is, he usually decides on some mission pretty quickly and then screams bloody murder if you try to deter him. I think he would be ok with less structured spaces at Disney where he can kind of do his own thing though - if I can keep him largely in those spaces and strap him into the stroller when we need to move, I'm feeling more hopeful about managing a trip in the next year or so!

Epcot currently has two actual playgrounds - one by Creations and the other near Starbucks. I think the one by Starbucks is here for F&G but I'm hopeful it stays around awhile because it's fantastic. The fountains near Figment are one of his favorite spaces and we are often the only people there! He loves the jumping water. The area at the end of Figment is also a favorite (fun interactive games - he just likes to touch things, really).

MK has Tom Sawyer Island, playground near Splash Mountain, play area inside Dumbo (though it's literally closed every single time we visit!), splash pad outside Dumbo (it has reopened). We also love the hub grass.

The courtyard outside Playhouse Disney is usually not busy so he runs around in there a lot. He also loves to walk up and down the stairs outside of the Frozen show! I wish HS had an actual play space.

AK is by far our favorite with him and we often don't ride a single thing. Trails + animal habitats + Digsite can fill hours for us.

Thank you, I am making a list of all the play areas and this really helps!

This is what we did. We also had a count down calendar as well where they colored Disney pictures and I glued them on a calendar I made with poster board. Mine were a bit older at for and 5 when we were planning so maybe a bit easier.

Also, while you are there make sure you have your number on your child just in case you get separated. Thankfully this did not happen with my kids but I did come across a kid once that got separated from their family. I was able to get a cast member to help and they took over from there. Having a phone number would make it easier for a cast member to find you.

Good advice about putting your phone number on your child - it makes me sick with worry just thinking about him being separated, but if it happened, I can see how that would help a cast member find mom and dad much faster!

Good advice about putting your phone number on your child - it makes me sick with worry just thinking about him being separated, but if it happened, I can see how that would help a cast member find mom and dad much faster!
a long this line make sure you have a picture each day and anytime clothes are changed to show security if needed. nothing is worse than trying to remember what your child was wearing in the heat of the moment and being wrong. lot easier to just show picture

This sounds like my son - he just turned 9 and I have lived to tell the tale! 😆 He was so strong-willed and high energy as a toddler that I had days where I just cried because I couldn’t do anything with him and I was so frustrated and felt like a terrible parent! We did still travel when he was younger because travel is really important to me so we just sucked it up. We chose to stay in condos then because he was a terrible sleeper and I knew we wouldn’t be bothering other people as much as when we were in a hotel room. We ALWAYS carried snacks on us (still do!) because he eats constantly and get hangry. One thing that helped was to kind of set the expectations and tell him what we were doing for the day. We also used a backpack “leash” thing in the parks so he could have a little freedom to wander (he hated holding my hand) but wouldn’t get lost. Giving him some control where we could was helpful as was finding ways to let him just run around and play unstructured. Lots of people recommend taking breaks but this didn’t work for my kids at all - he didn’t nap anyways and my kids are so high energy that they want to go go go all the time! And no, they still didn’t fall asleep exhausted at night!! We were in Disneyland a week ago for my son’s 9th birthday and we ended up walking 19 miles that day - my DH was hobbling out of the park and my son was still begging to go on more rides before we left after 15 hours straight in the parks!! 😳

Good luck OP - it does get better! Everyone told me that and it’s hard to believe when you’re in it but the last few years with my son have been amazing. He still is high energy and strong-willed but he’s mellowed out a lot and is a great kid.

I also wanted to add that I do my best not to create an opportunity for a “battle” situation with him - this makes things much worse as he digs in his heels and it really escalates the situation. When it comes to safety or bothering other people, I am firm and stand my ground no matter the battle, but in other situations I either let a few things slide or I approach him differently. This might not work great at 2 but it definitely helps in the future! Now I see when he wants to battle, I often back down and say something like “I don’t agree with that but I guess if you really think that’s best.” (Let’s say over something like wearing a coat) and he immediately backs down and listens to what I have to say. This realization has made our lives MUCH easier!

a long this line make sure you have a picture each day and anytime clothes are changed to show security if needed. nothing is worse than trying to remember what your child was wearing in the heat of the moment and being wrong. lot easier to just show picture

Good idea!

Now I'm so worried thinking about this that I'm considering a GPS anklet, ha ha! Just kidding... I think.

Our youngest was very easily over-stimulated. After having taken the first two everywhere and anywhere, we quickly realized life would be miserable for all of us if “the baby” went along. We took him very few places until he was at least 4yo. He was in junior high and we still had people saying they didn’t know we had a third child. You know your child better than anyone else. Listen to what your heart says about traveling with him and don’t let others pressure you into doing something you don’t want to do.

It did get better for us. As he was 6 years younger than the next oldest sibling, we got to travel with him alone after the others had graduated and moved out. We even got in some international travel with the whole family when he was still in grade school.

This sounds like my son - he just turned 9 and I have lived to tell the tale! 😆 He was so strong-willed and high energy as a toddler that I had days where I just cried because I couldn’t do anything with him and I was so frustrated and felt like a terrible parent! We did still travel when he was younger because travel is really important to me so we just sucked it up. We chose to stay in condos then because he was a terrible sleeper and I knew we wouldn’t be bothering other people as much as when we were in a hotel room. We ALWAYS carried snacks on us (still do!) because he eats constantly and get hangry. One thing that helped was to kind of set the expectations and tell him what we were doing for the day. We also used a backpack “leash” thing in the parks so he could have a little freedom to wander (he hated holding my hand) but wouldn’t get lost. Giving him some control where we could was helpful as was finding ways to let him just run around and play unstructured. Lots of people recommend taking breaks but this didn’t work for my kids at all - he didn’t nap anyways and my kids are so high energy that they want to go go go all the time! And no, they still didn’t fall asleep exhausted at night!! We were in Disneyland a week ago for my son’s 9th birthday and we ended up walking 19 miles that day - my DH was hobbling out of the park and my son was still begging to go on more rides before we left after 15 hours straight in the parks!! 😳

Good luck OP - it does get better! Everyone told me that and it’s hard to believe when you’re in it but the last few years with my son have been amazing. He still is high energy and strong-willed but he’s mellowed out a lot and is a great kid.

Glad to hear you've been there to and still managed travel! An aside - I recently came across the term "high needs baby / toddler", and I feel like this describes my son perfectly. I was so confused when parents would talk about putting their baby in the swing to make dinner or in the bouncer so that they could get some housework done - like you said, it was a very "What am I doing wrong here?!" feeling. Even as a baby, if I put him down for a minute he would scream loud enough to alert the entire block. I thought when he started walking he would mellow out but it was like he started running - everywhere! - the second after he started walking, ha ha! He was born intense, this little guy!

Right now I think that if I can go and just be there with my family, that will be a win for the moment. I don't even know if we'll try rides on the first trip - maybe just going from play area to play area and checking in with his cousins between rides. (He could surprise me with rides though - I anticipate him being freaked out by rides, but sometimes he completely surprises me. He loves giant slides, for example, that I would think might be scary for a toddler. So who knows!)

Our youngest was very easily over-stimulated. After having taken the first two everywhere and anywhere, we quickly realized life would be miserable for all of us if “the baby” went along. We took him very few places until he was at least 4yo. He was in junior high and we still had people saying they didn’t know we had a third child. You know your child better than anyone else. Listen to what your heart says about traveling with him and don’t let others pressure you into doing something you don’t want to do.

It did get better for us. As he was 6 years younger than the next oldest sibling, we got to travel with him alone after the others had graduated and moved out. We even got in some international travel with the whole family when he was still in grade school.

I think that's important to remember - at the moment I'm thinking I will attempt a trip with him when he's preschool age (I do feel bad that my parents probably won't be able to travel much longer) but after that, if we need to stay home we'll stay home, and I need to remember that's totally ok too!

2-3 year olds are just crazy. Then they get much better and when they hit 14, they get crazy again. Some are just born with more energy and stubbornness. You know your child and what they are able to handle. I would wait if I did not think that my kid could handle going to WDW. Nothing wrong with that. Some kids really need their routine and a good diet to keep them on track. Know that you are doing what is best for your little guy and don't let anyone else pressure you into going when you know he is not ready.

Glad to hear you've been there to and still managed travel! An aside - I recently came across the term "high needs baby / toddler", and I feel like this describes my son perfectly. I was so confused when parents would talk about putting their baby in the swing to make dinner or in the bouncer so that they could get some housework done - like you said, it was a very "What am I doing wrong here?!" feeling. Even as a baby, if I put him down for a minute he would scream loud enough to alert the entire block. I thought when he started walking he would mellow out but it was like he started running - everywhere! - the second after he started walking, ha ha! He was born intense, this little guy!

Right now I think that if I can go and just be there with my family, that will be a win for the moment. I don't even know if we'll try rides on the first trip - maybe just going from play area to play area and checking in with his cousins between rides. (He could surprise me with rides though - I anticipate him being freaked out by rides, but sometimes he completely surprises me. He loves giant slides, for example, that I would think might be scary for a toddler. So who knows!)
Yes, that was my son exactly! I think I even looked up that term before too! Lol! Nothing was EVER easy with him! And he never slept so of course I hardly slept!! It was a rough few years! It's hard when others don't understand too! My SIL does daycare and has 4 kids and likes to give lots of unsolicited advice all the time, and she watched my son for maybe 20 minutes before and she was even surprised and how her methods didn't work on him! Hahaha! I was like, see? It's not my parenting!!!

So my son actually loves rides so that was never an issue with us - this kid went on Tower of Terror when he was only 4 or 5 - and loved it! So hopefully your son will like some rides too but definitely start out small and go from there!

I hope you're able to manage it all and still travel with him. And I promise, it will get better! My son is such a great kid and I wouldn't change him for the world, craziness and all! :)

Good idea!

Now I'm so worried thinking about this that I'm considering a GPS anklet, ha ha! Just kidding... I think.
remember a few years back at small park I work at. had a mother who had spent 10 minutes looking for small son before she said anything to staff. when security got there she was sure he had one color of shirt and that was what she was telling security. husband finally got there with phone with the pictures and sure enough child had another color of shirt. security had her son the whole time but because clothing did not match they would not take her to child based on what she was saying. she then flipped out saying well you knew you had him you should have taken me to him. if fact our security usually has child before parents contact them

2-3 year olds are just crazy. Then they get much better and when they hit 14, they get crazy again. Some are just born with more energy and stubbornness. You know your child and what they are able to handle. I would wait if I did not think that my kid could handle going to WDW. Nothing wrong with that. Some kids really need their routine and a good diet to keep them on track. Know that you are doing what is best for your little guy and don't let anyone else pressure you into going when you know he is not ready.

Thank you! I have to keep reminding myself - he's wild, I'm very anxious - if travel is not in the cards for us until he's older, that's totally ok!

Yes, that was my son exactly! I think I even looked up that term before too! Lol! Nothing was EVER easy with him! And he never slept so of course I hardly slept!! It was a rough few years! It's hard when others don't understand too! My SIL does daycare and has 4 kids and likes to give lots of unsolicited advice all the time, and she watched my son for maybe 20 minutes before and she was even surprised and how her methods didn't work on him! Hahaha! I was like, see? It's not my parenting!!!

So my son actually loves rides so that was never an issue with us - this kid went on Tower of Terror when he was only 4 or 5 - and loved it! So hopefully your son will like some rides too but definitely start out small and go from there!

I hope you're able to manage it all and still travel with him. And I promise, it will get better! My son is such a great kid and I wouldn't change him for the world, craziness and all! :)

I'm so glad it's not just me, ha ha! Some kids just come into this world as wild things!

I think that I might be able to get through a trip with little man at this age, for the sake of my parents (I do worry about them having their 'all the grandkids at Disney' memory before it's too late). But it's hopeful to think that when he's older, we might actually be able to relax a bit and have fun on a trip together! I do love Disney and I'm really hoping that once he gets to school age he'll love it as well.

remember a few years back at small park I work at. had a mother who had spent 10 minutes looking for small son before she said anything to staff. when security got there she was sure he had one color of shirt and that was what she was telling security. husband finally got there with phone with the pictures and sure enough child had another color of shirt. security had her son the whole time but because clothing did not match they would not take her to child based on what she was saying. she then flipped out saying well you knew you had him you should have taken me to him. if fact our security usually has child before parents contact them

Wow, I will definitely just take a picture! Hopefully I won't need it but it would be so much easier to just show security "Look, this is my kiddo!"

Thank you! I think play areas will be key! I'm thinking the Nemo aquarium, the play area after the figment ride, the splash pads in MK if those are reopened post Covid... not sure about HS but hopefully there is something!
Bless the splash area at Pete’s Silly Side Show in Magic Kingdom, you know the circus themed one. My 20 month old was MELTing down big time from having to get off Dumbo (her fav ride) and as we were passing the circus splash area, her Dad just let her down and she had the best time! Calmed her down, barely anyone was there, and she left a happy camper.

Toddlers are unpredictable under the best of circumstances. My DD is 3.5 and apparently an angel at school (albeit sometimes too curious) and a nutjob at home. She is language delayed which makes it a smidge more difficult but we are all learning.

If your family was anything like ours social interaction has been very limited over the last couple years. It occured to me the other day when we took our kids to AtHome and DD was incredibly fidgety in the shopping cart....OMG she hasn't been in one since she was a year old! Had no idea what was happening, the lights and sounds were a lot. Her older brothers at the same age were errand/restaurant pros...her...nope.

Toddlers/kids right now have had a very different experience than their older counterparts. We as adults need to remember that. Their prime time for learning out of the house social skills was largely interrupted.

Yet I think back to our WDW trip last August and DD was a champ. Our home airport is small so the wait and flight down was pretty good...snacks and the Disney+ app and older siblings helped her stay occupied. The wait to get our bags at MCO not so great but half the kids in the airport were the same...I think most people assumed she was impatient to get our trip going. As far as the actual vacation there were only two issues and those were when the theaters at Festival of the Lion King and Philharmagic when the lights went down. We had positioned ourselves near door so DH scooped her up and off they went while I stayed with our older kids. The dark was too much...lesson learned and ride/shows where it got real dark real fast became a divide and conquer situation with our older kids. One meltdown in AK...wrapped a cooling towel around her and within minutes happy, quiet kid. And which one of us hasn't had an AK heat related hissy? Come on you know even as an adult you've been there.

Our trip was multigenerational as well. Nine people ranging in age from 3 (she had her 3rd birthday on the trip) to 69. Four kids, five adults. We didnt try to stick together, the whole trip and that was probably a really smart move. It was more of "we are headed to this park on this day" and when we were able to hit rides together we did. Met up for one large group table service meal and a couple QS along the way. The families were split into 2 hotels both along the skyliner so we often started/finished/took breaks at the same time. Used the time getting to the gondolas to catch up on what we had thus far experienced and to plan the second half of the day.

One tip I read on the boards was having your travel party/the kids in your travel party wear either the same color or themed shirts. So if one got separated which didnt happen to us (thankfully) you can look at someone else and be able to say oh so and so is in blue or a toy story shirt since everyone else is in something similar. Etsy and amazon also sell temporary tattoos you can put a phone number or any medical info on. Embrace the stroller or baby leash if possible. Trying to walk while carrying a pretzel could slow down a runner too. After a day or so DD would grab the stroller and park her little butt in it as soon as we put her magic band on her in the morning...legit magic!

Just roll with the punches, the smiles and giggles on the little faces more than outweigh any tantrum. And honestly I felt like in WDW all the other families you encounter will have already dealt with a meltdown that day/week. As long as you are prepared and can handle the situation with some grace and humor your child will follow your lead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter