Anyone else had issues with Visitor Toll Pass?

Was debating using VTP for an upcoming trip. To clarify, once you return your car, you drop off the VTP in the drop box. What else do you have to do in the app after that?

My understanding of the system is that if their sensors are unable to read the tag, it will default to pay by plate. If you registered the plate in the app, it will charge the toll to your account. If not, then the charge goes to the rental company, which will the forward the charge to you, plus any additional fees. So if you registered the rental in the app, you need to remove it.

I recommend just signing up for a regular (not visitor) Sunpass. I did this years ago and they sent me a transponder with suction cups which I bring along whenever we visit FL and stick on the rental car windshield. The tolls just get charged to my account and there is nothing to pick up, nothing to drop off, and no need to enter a license plate or do anything with an app.
We did that also, several years before moving here permanently. It worked well for us and logistically was easy to update as the account was "yours". We've had our Sunpass account for about 9 years now. Sunpass came out with the Sunpass PRO a couple of years ago that works on the Eastern seaboard where EZPASS does.
Point being, give a thought to a real Sunpass if you go to Florida at least once a year or more. Just hang a "don't forget me" flag off of it so you remember to pull it off and take it home.

We did that also, several years before moving here permanently. It worked well for us and logistically was easy to update as the account was "yours". We've had our Sunpass account for about 9 years now. Sunpass came out with the Sunpass PRO a couple of years ago that works on the Eastern seaboard where EZPASS does.
Point being, give a thought to a real Sunpass if you go to Florida at least once a year or more. Just hang a "don't forget me" flag off of it so you remember to pull it off and take it home.
I keep a ziplock bag prominently labeled SUNPASS in the center console of our rental car, so when I search the car for any belongings on returning it I will find the bag and remember to detach the transponder if I haven’t already done so.

We have had an issue. They charged us once for what was reasonable but then we had a second larger charge for all kinds of tolls we did not incur. Some for the exact same time period as the first charges. After much time trying to contact and escalating we ultimately asked the cc company to contest the charge. VTP was not interested in fixing the issue.
I agree with the no interest to fix problems. I called again to see if I could get the incorrect charge off and got nowhere. The person on the phone told me they couldn't do anything because the number posted everywhere is for general inquiries only and you need a VTP person. I told her this is the number posted everywhere on the website and on the final bill if you have comments, concerns, or billing problems. They have no way to contact VTP, give their number, or transfer you directly to speak to them. I emailed them like they asked with the rental receipt and received no response. The woman said she has never ever heard of them not answering an email. She then told me that she has recorded on my account that they tried to call me and left a voicemail. I never received any record of a call or a voicemail. I would have happily taken the call and fixed the problem if I ever would get a response or get a person on the phone that could actually take care of it.

I missed something. What did the PP do "wrong" that would have justified wrong tolls? It was CLAIMED they entered the license plate wrong, with no proof. AND they received a bill that was 100% theirs. So how do they receive one bill correctly, then a second false one?
When paying by plate, it always takes a couple days for the tolls to catch up to the account. Anything that reads the transponder posts almost immediately. I used it last week when I flew into MCO. Had no issues. Will use it when I fly into MCO again in January.

When paying by plate, it always takes a couple days for the tolls to catch up to the account. Anything that reads the transponder posts almost immediately. I used it last week when I flew into MCO. Had no issues. Will use it when I fly into MCO again in January.
Still doesn't answer @gmi3804's claim that PP "did something wrong". What was PP supposed to do differently?

And keep in mind, PP was billed for tolls that occurred AFTER they had turned the tag back in.

PP that I was referring to was charged for another vehicle because they entered the plate number incorrectly into the app. That should have been fixable by seeing the plate number was different than the legitimate tolls that had a hangtag number associated with them on the statement that got emailed at the end of the trip. I just looked at my statement and it lists both the plate number and the tag number for the four tolls I went through on my trip that ended Monday.

I missed something. What did the PP do "wrong" that would have justified wrong tolls? It was CLAIMED they entered the license plate wrong, with no proof. AND they received a bill that was 100% theirs. So how do they receive one bill correctly, then a second false one?

Agreed I have used it multiple times with ZERO issues. I'm on the east coast so I just bought the SunPass Pro, which covers 21+states. No way and I paying my rental agency daily just to have it in my car. If I didn't live on the coast I would definitely you VTP again with no problems.

First time user in September and it worked perfectly for me.

Upon activation, it charged $10 to my account to cover tolls. At the end of the trip, I got a statement telling me I'd used $4.32 of tolls, and was due a $5.78 credit. Credit came through yesterday.

Would definitely use again!

PP that I was referring to was charged for another vehicle because they entered the plate number incorrectly into the app. That should have been fixable by seeing the plate number was different than the legitimate tolls that had a hangtag number associated with them on the statement that got emailed at the end of the trip. I just looked at my statement and it lists both the plate number and the tag number for the four tolls I went through on my trip that ended Monday.
The poster said the plate # was enteted correctly.
Years ago, I thought it was fixed, plate readers had issues distinguishing between O (oh) and 0 (zero). Similar issues with 1 and l.

Also possible a driver entering the plate # made the same mistake.

The poster said the plate # was enteted correctly.
Years ago, I thought it was fixed, plate readers had issues distinguishing between O (oh) and 0 (zero). Similar issues with 1 and l.

Also possible a driver entering the plate # made the same mistake.
Regardless, the issue is with the toll authority, not VTP. There are two sets of charges, one legit, the other not. The toll authority can straighten this out.

Regardless, the issue is with the toll authority, not VTP. There are two sets of charges, one legit, the other not. The toll authority can straighten this out.
You.were already informed that

Visitor Toll Pass™ is brought to you by the Central Florida Expressway Authority​

VTP is the toll authority. A PP already brought this to your attention.

Your point is rubbish.

This appears to be an isolated case.

Still doesn't answer @gmi3804's claim that PP "did something wrong". What was PP supposed to do differently?

And keep in mind, PP was billed for tolls that occurred AFTER they had turned the tag back in.
PP also stated that the second bill had tolls on it that overlapped time-wise with correct tolls, but they were for a completely different tollway.

This alone tells you that the error is NOT due to anything the pp did — they can’t be in two places at once with the VTP… unless you know of some way to bend space-time.

PP also stated that the second bill had tolls on it that overlapped time-wise with correct tolls, but they were for a completely different tollway.

This alone tells you that the error is NOT due to anything the pp did — they can’t be in two places at once with the VTP… unless you know of some way to bend space-time.
No. The second set of tolls happened after OP returned the car/pass.

Thank you for trying to explain my situation in a less confusing way that I apparently did.

To those who are “arguing” my experience. I generally just lurk because of this sort of behavior. The thread was to ask if anyone else had an issue with VTP. I did and I explained mine. Period. No arguing is going to change my experience. I also had a good experience with VTP in June. Because of the lack of customer service for my issue, I will do something else in the future. This time it was $20 and my cc took away the EXTRA charge. I don’t want to have it happen again and/or for more because it is terribly difficult to get the customer service to cooperate. Period. Thanks to those who replied nicely for your understanding. And if you want to argue or be snarky. It doesn’t matter to me. I just shared my experience with VTP. Your comments won’t change what happened to me.

To those who are “arguing” my experience. I generally just lurk because of this sort of behavior. The thread was to ask if anyone else had an issue with VTP. I did and I explained mine. Period. No arguing is going to change my experience.
VTP wouldn't be operational if a significant number of customers shared your experience. Some people, wrongly, assume since it worked for them you must have done something wrong.

I'll speculate the plate reader guesses if it can't get a reliable reading

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter