Anyone else get burned by JetBlue's route cuts?

Credits can be used for other flights, just not to Orlando, right? Maybe you use the credits to enjoy a beach vacation, or a Disney cruise.
Thanks but the only Disney cruise we currently want sails out of Port Canaveral, so no, unfortunately for us that isn't helpful. We don't want a beach vacation instead of the cruise & don't have the budget for an extra vacation. We have a Dream cruise booked and that is going to be our only trip for a year, and JetBlue credits are time-limited. It really stinks. I'm probably going contest the original charge (also an Austin - Orlando flight) via my credit card. Even if I don't win, I can try.

Wow! Sorry to hear that they are making more cuts. I used to fly JB from JFK to Charlotte nonstop several times per year until they cut the route. Now my options are to either fly SW with a stop in Baltimore, notorious for delays and with limited flight options. The other choice is fly JB to Charlotte by going in the opposite direction first, through Boston.
The full list of cut cities is in this article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-major-pandemic-route-cuts/

Last edited:
Our flight with Jet Blue was cancelled too. I also have a credit that I have to use up. Not impressed.

Most days Jet Blue offers service from AUS to MCO with a connecting flight in FLL.

Was your just booked flight to MCO booked with cash (credit card)? If so a refund back to the original form of payment can be requested. I suspect you're long past the time limits for a credit card dispute if the original charge was months ago.

Is the credit significant/ An option would be consider cruises departing from MIA or FLL.

Most days Jet Blue offers service from AUS to MCO with a connecting flight in FLL.

Was your just booked flight to MCO booked with cash (credit card)? If so a refund back to the original form of payment can be requested. I suspect you're long past the time limits for a credit card dispute if the original charge was months ago.

Is the credit significant/ An option would be consider cruises departing from MIA or FLL.
Most of the round trip was paid for with travel bank funds. I have a credit card charge for that from January, and I do have the option to attempt a chargeback for that. The remainder I paid via my credit card and I know that will be refunded. I'm going to wait until they process that refund, then dispute the January payment via the CC company.

When I put AUS - MCO into a search engine now, nothing comes up, not even with FLL as a midway stop. JetBlue won't take us there at all. We're cruising on the Dream & that departs from Port Canaveral, so Fort Lauderdale is not helpful- the extra expense of a rental car eats up a lot of the savings of booking with the flight credit, not to mention the major inconvenience factor, as our vacation time is very limited, so we'd probably be driving in the middle of the night from Fort Lauderdale the night before the cruise. No thanks. Not possible for us to fly in earlier than the night before.

And it isn't just Orlando- they've cut multiple cities from Austin. I think I have a solid case for a chargeback. Not a done deal, but a solid case. The credit is for about $500 so it isn't a petty amount.

Last edited:
I lost my husbands flight from Reagan to MCO. I also have a pile of 6 credits with 6 different expiration dates, the first 2 will expire unused, unfortunately. I need to stop switching things around, I was used to SW lol.

I used to handle the merchant side of credit card disputes and we kept sales records readily available for 18 months because in probably a third of our sales the purchase was done well in advance of the customer receiving their merchandise/service (travel based company). Based on my experience, the clock starts ticking from the point the customer was to receive the merchandise/service, which can be different than the date the transaction was processed. So if it’s a flight that wasn’t scheduled to go yet, and they just found out that their flight is cancelled, they should be able to dispute it even if the transaction was processed months ago. It doesn’t mean they will win, because it will depend a lot on the fine print when they bought the ticket, but they should have time to try, which I certainly would. When a company can no longer provide what you paid for, a refund should be one of the options available to remedy the issue (barring a bankruptcy, which is its own fun can of worms . . .).

I have JetBlue flights to MCO in Sept, Oct, Dec and Feb. When did you start seeing schedule changes?

I have JetBlue flights to MCO in Sept, Oct, Dec and Feb. When did you start seeing schedule changes?
The day before yesterday JetBlue implemented some major route changes. It depends on your departure city- not every city was affected. JetBlue ended all service between my city and Orlando effective July 1st, so that was a lot of cancelled flights.

Same experience with Alaska Air but I received a refund. If your flight is cancelled or changed significantly (1 or more stops added or time changed by 1+hour) you should get a refund not credit. I am now on United non stop. Hope that doesn't change.

Happened to me last Feb & March. Dropped from daily to 3x a week flights to MCO. Was a total pain because then the only non-stop option was SW.

They cancelled our Philly MCO flight and routed us through Boston. I switched us to Newark for free.

Credits can be used for other flights, just not to Orlando, right? Maybe you use the credits to enjoy a beach vacation, or a Disney cruise.
Credits with one of the legacy airlines which has hundreds of flights daily to dozens of destinations are one thing -- but that's not @Cheburashka's situation. They are given flight credits which are worthless to them.

Hopefully they will be able to dispute through the credit card company -- although the merchant who generated the charge has the final say in disputes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter