Anyone else frustrated with F&W?

No, I would never say that if I hadn’t seen them (a group of several very young people) honk at people and then all jump off their Evs to run over to a cart or ride etc, they were very mobile I assure you! Bless you though and all you’ve been through, I am a likewise very compassionate person.
Thank you - sorry that I jumped the gun. That was my fault - I'm having an especially rough go of it (many years ago, I could do it fine. The past few trips were harder and I started using ECVs but then wouldn't because of comments people made. And then a month ago, I got to the point where I literally had to have it. And I have feelings about it all. That's especially true now since I have two young ones who ALSO have MD. I worry someone will say something about me re: the ECV (it's happened several times, even at conferences where people thought they were accessible/disability friendly) and it'll give the kids the wrong message. And I worry about how they'll be treated if/when they need a similar aid (I once had a medical supply store clerk refuse to sell me stuff my DR/Surgeon ordered for me because "I was too young to have hip problems").

Anyway, sorry for my knee-jerk reaction.

My only F&W in 2015 was absolutely rammed with people, many of whom appeared to be having a booze fest. Maybe some of the current complaining is causing y’all to look at prior trips through rose colored glasses?

The same year a drunk guy climbed the Mexico Pavilion Pyramid.

Haven't gone for a couple years but having gone almost 10 years in a row, my biggest issue was how little changed from year to year . . . a few new dishes but that's it. Clearly they felt they were catering more to the infrequent visitor . . .

I love F&W because I love food, but posts like this remind me why I only go every few years, and I always make sure to go on a mid week day.

After coming back from our week-long trip this past mid-Oct week, I kind of feel the same way. We did 2 days in Epcot... both mid-week (we learned from prior years to don't bother going to Epcot the on the weekend... way way crowded in World Showcase and the drunks are too obnoxious).
The drunk crowd this time around wasn't as bad during the week, but you still have lines at every station. Combine that with Florida heat (this week was 90F for a high every day), and it just drains you while you shuffle along the World Showcase. My wife was super excited for F&W this year and went a little crazy with picking out food and drink items to try in a 3rd party App on the phone. While we tried a few of her tagged items early on, towards the early evening (dinner time) of the day our party was drained, and we basically threw up our hands and skipped everything to get to Mexico so that everyone could eat a meal at the regular quick service restaurant.

F&W is kind of neat when the crowds aren't bad or the weather is cool, but otherwise you tend to wear out when waiting in lines at each station and start to no longer care about the various food shareables.

The past few trips were harder and I started using ECVs but then wouldn't because of comments people made.

That is just appalling. No one should ever comment or make judgments on anyone's mobility or aids. The next time you go, I would make a professionally lettered sign (you could whip one up at the Walgreens photo counter or website) and then stick laminating sheets on it. Punch a couple of holes at the top and have it hanging by a ribbon from the back of your ECV. The sign could say" "Proud Muscular Dystrophy Survivor!" or "Muscular Dystrophy Won't Stop This Dad!" or anything else you like. You should NOT have to do this but I guarantee your family will receive only positive comments, if any.

I ran into an overabundance of bad behavior a few weeks ago. I was also stupid enough to go on the weekend.

I used DAS for Frozen, and had a large group of drunks shouting that I was cutting the line. It was both humiliating and embarrassing, considering that I was also solo.
Yikes. I’m so sorry.

A thread like this comes up every year. We've learned to never do F&W on the weekends (or if we do, only between 11am and 1pm. No Thursday nights, either. You aren't going to find many drunk locals wasted at Epcot at 11 on a Tuesday, but maybe some at 7pm on a Tuesday.

Thank you - sorry that I jumped the gun. That was my fault - I'm having an especially rough go of it (many years ago, I could do it fine. The past few trips were harder and I started using ECVs but then wouldn't because of comments people made. And then a month ago, I got to the point where I literally had to have it. And I have feelings about it all. That's especially true now since I have two young ones who ALSO have MD. I worry someone will say something about me re: the ECV (it's happened several times, even at conferences where people thought they were accessible/disability friendly) and it'll give the kids the wrong message. And I worry about how they'll be treated if/when they need a similar aid (I once had a medical supply store clerk refuse to sell me stuff my DR/Surgeon ordered for me because "I was too young to have hip problems").

Anyway, sorry for my knee-jerk reaction.

Don't beat yourself up. There is rampant ableism on this forum, and your circumstances warrant being protective of yourself and your children. It's the very reason that ECV misuse is toxic to those whose lives are greatly improved by them. Your post is a good reminder to us all to not make assumptions about those who use ECVs in the way they were intended.

I remember seeing a group with a cooler pre-gaming at one of the resorts, so they aren't always getting tanked in Epcot at Epcot prices.

We were there in Sept. and we enjoyed it but did bug out around 7:30 on Friday because of the crowds. We had a baby with us so were leaving anyway. The lines weren't bad except after the horrible rain storms because they had to shut down the registers outside and were taking orders from within the booths. I've seen drunk people but to be honest, I've also seen them at the other parks (even MK) so I'm not sure how much of it is F&W related.

Real question, not being sarcastic (isn't is a shame one has to preface a question that way): how are weekends at Epcot outside of a Festival? I only ask because I really can't remember a time I was there when there wasn't a Festival. I tend to go mostly during F&G, F&W or Christmas. I'm sure way back in the 80s I must have been there when there wasn't a Festival but I can't remember. We tend to arrive on Sunday and leave on Friday most trips since hotel prices are less during the week which might also be why I don't remember.

We went to EPCOT last Friday afternoon and again first thing yesterday (Monday). We didn’t encounter any roudy crowds. The food we tried was very good (although the lamb chop could have been warmer). There were a few new things on the menus. We expected crowds on Friday but were surprised how crowded it got by noon on Monday. There were 30-40 people in line at the French booth and many of the others around noon on Monday. For the first time ever I decided against a lemon citron slushy because of the lines.

There was a time when knowing the dates of a festival mattered, if you didn't you might miss one. Today, there appears to be a festival available, as they provide Disney a constant revenue stream of selling food & beverages at elevated prices with an expanding number of booths across the property. A small segment of customers will get carried away and overindulge within the realm/offerings of the festival :drinking1

Food booth and crowd wise this feels like most other F&W festivals. Avoid EPCOT post noon on Fridays and Saturdays. We miss all the special events - the demos, tastings, party for the senses etc. So yes this F&W is very different than past years but the drunken guests seem fairly par for the course,.

I love F&W because I love food, but posts like this remind me why I only go every few years, and I always make sure to go on a mid week day.
We go every year, including last year, and avoid being in the park at night. I also miss the special events.

We avoid the weekends and usually miss most of the 'over the top' behavior. What was driving me nuts was the heat - have a hard time enjoying hot servings in such weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter