• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else feel a "difference" between DL and WDW?

Actually, I think this has been a really pleasant thread, for the most part. It was nice hearing what others have to say. That being said, FP+ is total garbage, IMO and I hope it doesn't ruin DLR.

:) I need to plan a trip to WDW just to experience FP+. Well, actually it would be to have an awesome time...but also to see what all the hubub is about regarding FP+ and magic bands. ;)

I agree that it's been pleasant for the most part, so long as I remember that it's all a matter of perspective. From my perspective and with my history I prefer DLR. It's the more "magical" of the two to me. But there is no right answer here. It's like trying to compare Babe Ruth vs. Barry Bonds vs. Albert Pujols. And no, i'm not trying to start that argument here. :rotfl2:

Legends was designed for guests to interact with other guests. CMs ask guests to assist other guests with the game, so it is not something they are doing on their own. The objective of the game is for guests to become a part of the story, so some do dress up (although I too felt the gal in the corset was a bit much), become a part of Frontierland and have fun! Guest interaction is encouraged to the largest degree, with titles of Hero and Legend being given to the guests that are the most creative and helpful to others! And it's not just regulars that receive these titles. I saw multiple day guests receive titles 8/31-9/1.

The game spans a large area and at times there are 100's playing so there is no way Disney could have enough CMs there assisting all the guests in playing, hence the guest involvement.

This is the first time this type of entertainment has been attempted in any Disney park. They are still adjusting and trying to determine if interactive role playing games like Legends is a viable addition to Disney parks. For the most part it is working at DL. Not sure how well it would work at DW as they just don't have the regular customer base DL has. To advance the story and for the game to work it is necessary for people to return multiple times.

Glad your son had fun! No one knows if Legends will ever surface again after it goes away 9/27, so consider yourselves lucky that you had a chance to be a part of a very fun and unique type of entertainment.

dsny1mom

We got the chance to play Legends on August 23rd and my daughter (8) just loved it. We thought she'd want to play for an hour and then go around the park riding her favorite rides. We spent the entire game play time (from 11:30am until the closing ceremony at 5:45pm in the Golden Horseshoe) playing that game. When she was called forward to get her Hero coin she was grinning so much I thought her face would split.

I agree that this kind of game wouldn't work in WDW. There are too many people who are going on a once-in-a-lifetime trip and not quite enough of a local fan base to make it possible. I mean, of course there are people who travel from around the world to DL and of course there are locals in Orlando who love the parks (hellooooo, podcasters!) but if you look at the percentages, DL's got the higher number of locals coming back again and again.

We got the chance to play Legends on August 23rd and my daughter (8) just loved it. We thought she'd want to play for an hour and then go around the park riding her favorite rides. We spent the entire game play time (from 11:30am until the closing ceremony at 5:45pm in the Golden Horseshoe) playing that game. When she was called forward to get her Hero coin she was grinning so much I thought her face would split.

I agree that this kind of game wouldn't work in WDW. There are too many people who are going on a once-in-a-lifetime trip and not quite enough of a local fan base to make it possible. I mean, of course there are people who travel from around the world to DL and of course there are locals in Orlando who love the parks (hellooooo, podcasters!) but if you look at the percentages, DL's got the higher number of locals coming back again and again.

So happy for your DD! When children reach Hero and Legend status it is so much fun to see their excitement!

I hope there is a way the game can be tweaked enough that this type of entertainment can return to DL. If not then those of us who had the opportunity to play Legends will just have to be thankful we were able to play at all!

dsny1mom
aka Slue Foot Sue
Hero and Legend

I didn't rad all of the posts so I apologize if this redundant....to me DisneyWorld is a destination trip and Disneyland is a component of a trip to southern CA. Right now, I would take either one!

:) I need to plan a trip to WDW just to experience FP+. Well, actually it would be to have an awesome time...but also to see what all the hubub is about regarding FP+ and magic bands. ;)

:rotfl2:

Have you heard the Chinese proverb, " Be careful what you wish for?" Well, I think it applies to MDE and FP+ :scared1:

I just returned from 5 days in the parks at Disney World, and I liked the Magic Bands for easy access to my hotel room, and into the parks. I visit Disneyland about once a year for about a week in length. I never use Fastpass much there. While I can see the benefit of Magic Bands for park admission, I'm not sure how they can make it beneficial for all the Annual Passholders that Disneyland has.

I have an interesting perspective. I grew up going to Disneyland, but then since my family later moved east, I ended up moving to Florida and worked at WDW for over 8 years as an adult. I have very fond memories of both, and I love both. What I find the biggest difference between the two (other than size) is just the general vibe- the guests themselves.

WDW feels like "World Class Tourist Destination." It's huge, and families sometimes save years to go- it may be a once in a lifetime experience. I've also noticed you see a whole lot more strollers and ECVs there than you do at Disneyland.

DL, on the other hand, has this vibe of "this is our special park." It's a local attraction with a far greater percentage of repeat visitors as well as park guests who are only there for a day or two instead of making it a whole vacation. When I go to DL, I get asked all the time at cash registers if I have an AP- because the CMs are used to that being the case!

Another interesting observation I've had is that Disneyland seems to get a higher percentage of hardcore Disney geeks than WDW because more people are able to make frequent return trips and because of it's proximity to LA (I'm guessing). The crowds at DL have a lot more groups of teens and young adults than at WDW which has mostly families and if you see groups of young people, they are usually CMs on their college program. I now live in San Jose, CA, and have been amazed at how many people I've met who regularly make that 6 hr drive to DL! In FL, many local people see Disney as the "big, mean, employer."

However, I have not noticed any overall difference among the CMs between coasts. I've met very kind CMs in both places.

I have an interesting perspective. I grew up going to Disneyland, but then since my family later moved east, I ended up moving to Florida and worked at WDW for over 8 years as an adult. I have very fond memories of both, and I love both. What I find the biggest difference between the two (other than size) is just the general vibe- the guests themselves.

WDW feels like "World Class Tourist Destination." It's huge, and families sometimes save years to go- it may be a once in a lifetime experience. I've also noticed you see a whole lot more strollers and ECVs there than you do at Disneyland.

DL, on the other hand, has this vibe of "this is our special park." It's a local attraction with a far greater percentage of repeat visitors as well as park guests who are only there for a day or two instead of making it a whole vacation. When I go to DL, I get asked all the time at cash registers if I have an AP- because the CMs are used to that being the case!

Another interesting observation I've had is that Disneyland seems to get a higher percentage of hardcore Disney geeks than WDW because more people are able to make frequent return trips and because of it's proximity to LA (I'm guessing). The crowds at DL have a lot more groups of teens and young adults than at WDW which has mostly families and if you see groups of young people, they are usually CMs on their college program. I now live in San Jose, CA, and have been amazed at how many people I've met who regularly make that 6 hr drive to DL! In FL, many local people see Disney as the "big, mean, employer."

However, I have not noticed any overall difference among the CMs between coasts. I've met very kind CMs in both places.

That was very insightful. Thanks!

:wizard:

It's interesting that Disneyland is perceived as less expensive. I see it that way too, even though the way we travel,
for us, it is more expensive per day. Food is high and lodging is more because we use wayyyy more points at GCV than we would on villas at wdw. I always have this idea that it will be cheaper because the flights are shorter, but it never works out that way. We love both wdw and dlr.

It's interesting that Disneyland is perceived as less expensive. I see it that way too, even though the way we travel,
for us, it is more expensive per day. Food is high and lodging is more because we use wayyyy more points at GCV than we would on villas at wdw. I always have this idea that it will be cheaper because the flights are shorter, but it never works out that way. We love both wdw and dlr.

I know that everyone's circumstances are different, but for us DLR is much much less expensive than WDW. We can drive to DLR and stay offsite and stay for less days. Our costs are as follows:

DLR:
Gas to get there: $200
Hotel: $800

WDW:
Flights: $2500
On site hotel: $2500

For us, the price per day for WDW and DLR is basically the same. Though overall, WDW can be more expensive if we stay longer. But we pay about the same for airfare, hotel per night, food, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter