• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else disappointed with the new DVC member celebration on cruises?

KKKKCS

Mouseketeer
Just off the Wonder 4 night San Diego/Cabo, my first since 2019, and it may have been the best of the 14 I've done. Our only disappointment was the new DVC member celebration. What a yawner and waste of 30 minutes. We went to hear about the latest incentives, the new resort in California, and to get other info for our friends who are interested in DVC now that they have grand kids, and of course the on board credit raffle. What we got was a lame trivia game hosted by one of the night club hosts who knew absolutely nothing about DVC and read a script off his iPad, the points didn't matter, everyone "won", there was no prize, and a photo opportunity with Daisy Duck. Absolutely NO INFO was given about anything. If this is the new normal celebration, it will certainly be our last.

Hasn’t it always been lame games and just a general cheesy feel? All the ones I have been to have been! All the way back to Dee Vee Cee at the boardwalk.

So you're disappointed that an event called Member Celebration included games, free drinks, and characters and not DVC news? Don't think the problem here lies in the event or staff...

Back in 2019 it was more information about the latest incentives, new or upcoming properties and general information hosted by the primary DVC guide stationed on the ship along with the free drinks. On our most recent sailing it was exactly what you experienced with being a 3 contestant game show where the points didn't matter and it really didn't contain any DVC info on current offers, promotions, or properties. If you wanted any of that you needed to stay and talk with one of the actual DVC guides or book a time to visit with them. In the two Member Celebrations on our cruise the primary guide on board didn't attend either of them.

All of this information is online, you know?

I'm sure you can sign them up for the pitch if that is what you actually wanted, and not the fun extras.

So you're disappointed that an event called Member Celebration included games, free drinks, and characters and not DVC news? Don't think the problem here lies in the event or staff...
Not games, a game. Never mentioned drinks. Not characters, a character. And yes, I was disappointed by no news since every one of the 13 other member celebrations I have been to was majority news about the latest incentives and new resorts. As for being a problem, there isn't one. DVC can do what ever it wants with the member celebration. And I don't have to attend.

So were there free drinks and any DVC swag? I'm going on the Wish over New Years and would probably go if those things are available.

Free drinks yes, an alcoholic drink and non-alcoholic, whatever the drink of the day for the ship is. Swag, not really unless you're one of the contestants picked to play which each of them received a drawstring bag.

So were there free drinks and any DVC swag? I'm going on the Wish over New Years and would probably go if those things are available.

We did a Wish cruise beginning of the month. We didn't do the dvc member celebration since busy doing other stuff but everyday they gave out different stuff if you stopped by.

Drawstring bag, luggage tags, chapstick, riviera picture, pirate dvc tattoos , pop socket. They were out of magnets and said will be for a bit since they are redesigning them.

We did a Wish cruise beginning of the month. We didn't do the dvc member celebration since busy doing other stuff but everyday they gave out different stuff if you stopped by.

Drawstring bag, luggage tags, chapstick, riviera picture, pirate dvc tattoos , pop socket. They were out of magnets and said will be for a bit since they are redesigning them.
Thanks!!

We went to hear about the latest incentives, the new resort in California, and to get other info for our friends who are interested in DVC now that they have grand kids

Then go to the sales pitch.

A member reception isn't the place to cram information some already know down your throats. They are not going to release anything ground breaking regarding the resort and the only thing they might have is a slightly discount incentive for buying while on board.

They likely found most people didn't even entertain going because they thought it was going to be a sales pitch.

They likely found most people didn't even entertain going because they thought it was going to be a sales pitch.
Exactly. Plus, keep in mind that cruises already have a very bad reputation for partnering on shore excursions with resorts that try to tie you into a timeshare presentation once you get there. Disney may not, but the stigma is there.

The DVC recognition/celebrations have definitely changed over the years. The first few times we sailed, fun swag was left in our stateroom (string bags, portfolio cases, etc) along with the swag (hats/lanyards/etc given out at the "celebration". We won the $200 on-board credit drawing one year so that was certainly a perk. After that, things starting changing, no in-stateroom swag, the celebration swag given out at the "celebration" also decrease to zero. Now to receive the swag, you must swing by the desk daily. We sailed right before the shut-down due to covid and in addition to the morning celebration, DVC hosted a members meet and greet one late afternoon where DVC members could show up and "meet" and visit with other DVC member. That was fun and I hope they bring it back in the future.

All this mentioning of the string bags, which I would love to have! But as a single person, it is so hard to justify the price of a Disney cruise. But some day! I do still have the hat I got at my first Member Mahalo at Aulani. They even passed out points charts at that one!!

All this mentioning of the string bags, which I would love to have! But as a single person, it is so hard to justify the price of a Disney cruise. But some day! I do still have the hat I got at my first Member Mahalo at Aulani. They even passed out points charts at that one!!

As someone who cruises with others its still hard to justify the prices these days.

Last DCL I booked 5 days out last December when they did a large discount last second. Otherwise its hard to beat that I can get suite perks that surpass Disney Concierge for the pricing model of their verandahs at this point.

My hope is that as Disney starts adding more ships the pricing drops some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter