• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else disappointed in the 2019 Caribbean itineraries?

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
So was anxiously hoping they would up their game with Caribbean choices for the Summer 2019 dates, and maybe include more than one 10 or 11-night Southern Caribbean sailing, or add new ports. I see there is one on the Fantasy, but that's it. Anyone else disappointed that they didn't change it up a bit?

I think as i recall the first year was last year they had both an 10 and 11 night Fantasy and had
trouble filling the ship? Didn't they go VGT? Maybe they didn't get the full cost of what
they wanted so now offering one date.

I just don't think we should have to wait for ANOTHER set of new ships for them to change up their itineraries after all these years. :confused3

So what Caribbean ports do you wish they would go to?

I'd love to see them sail out of Texas during the summer. I think the cruises would be fully booked! Most kids are out of school by the first week of June when many other states are still in school. Heck, they could even sail out of Texas in June then switch over to California for July and August. Make lots of people happy!

I wish they went to St.Maarten on regular basis again.. Could include St.Kitts, not just on the southern sailing.
We will continue to sail DCL but it has to be Europe or Alaska or even Southern like we just did. It made it exciting again. Not that cruising isn't, but it was refreshing to visit new ports.
We have zero interest in Western Caribbean, and so that doesn't leave much choice...
Not surprised either, but as others I was hoping to see something new and different.
DCL is first and foremost geared to the first time cruiser and less repeat... that's what I think.

Regarding new ports - things are very limited for many families in the Caribbean right now between Zika and the hurricane cleanup. Many people taking Disney cruises would possibly be pregnant or get pregnant within 6 months of the cruise. The CDC has only approved the Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Martinique, and St. Bart’s as being Zika-free right now, and St. Bart’s is a mess after the hurricane. So maybe this isn’t a great time to be adding new ports with all the limitations!

I'd love to see them sail out of Texas during the summer. I think the cruises would be fully booked! Most kids are out of school by the first week of June when many other states are still in school. Heck, they could even sail out of Texas in June then switch over to California for July and August. Make lots of people happy!

I wouldn't mind this either, still closer to me than Florida.

I personally don't care where we go as long as I'm on a Disney boat. It could be 7 sea days and I'd be fine with that.

I think once you’ve done those a time or 2, it’s time to start looking for cruises in other parts of the world.

You and me both!!! We have been there done that with these ports. While I understand that for a lot of cruisers the ship itself is the destination and they really don't care where it goes, that's not us. At all !!! A Mouse doesn't make up for the same old same old ports over and over. We need new, interesting places to explore and Disney just isn't offering that for us right now. Even the European sailings (which we were mostly interested in) are pretty much the same thing they have done year after year. I really hope that when the new ships come on board they will offer more adventurous itineraries. But until then - well there are so many other options out there and we are more than happy to take advantage of them.

You and me both!!! We have been there done that with these ports. While I understand that for a lot of cruisers the ship itself is the destination and they really don't care where it goes, that's not us. At all !!! A Mouse doesn't make up for the same old same old ports over and over. We need new, interesting places to explore and Disney just isn't offering that for us right now. Even the European sailings (which we were mostly interested in) are pretty much the same thing they have done year after year. I really hope that when the new ships come on board they will offer more adventurous itineraries. But until then - well there are so many other options out there and we are more than happy to take advantage of them.

I'd love to see them go to Hawaii again.

I keep hoping for more and varied Hawaii and/or West Coast cruises. A cruise up and down the west coast would be awesome. Maybe one that starts in San Diego, stops in SF, LA, Astoria, Seattle, Victoria, and/or Vancouver and then back down the coast.

Kate

They’ve got a good thing going and they usually fill every ship. I wasn’t expecting too many changes.

They’ve got a good thing going and they usually fill every ship. I wasn’t expecting too many changes.

I actually agree with you. While I'd love to see Disney offer something different, I don't see it happening (or at least not significantly) until the new ships begin sailing. It's not difficult to fill four ships with Disney fans. They really have no incentive to switch things up. As I mentioned above, lots of people just want to be on the Mickey Boat and they don't care where it goes. I'll admit to being one of them the first couple of times we sailed with them (and our son was young). But when the Disney appeal started to wear off (for us, at least), we began to want more. It became all about the ports, and now we wouldn't take a cruise that wasn't going somewhere that we really wanted to see.

I have also wondered just how much clout Disney has with the ports. I think we are all so used to thinking about Disney the corporation and that they are so powerful, but in the cruise world they really are just a small fish in a big pond. I would think the ports are more concerned about keeping the big boys happy and making sure they have spots available for them vs. a company with four ships. I really do hope that the new ships bring more offerings. While there seems to be an endless supply of Disney fans available to fill a large number of ships in the summer and over holidays, I think it will be a different story for the off season. They already end up discounting during the off season to fill the ships they currently have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter