Anyone else concerned about the crowd increase?

My wife and I have a trip scheduled for 11/9 - 11/17. Are the fall school breaks done by then? I expect the parks to be busy on the weekends. Is there anything to point to the crowds being reduced in November during the week compared to what it has been in late September and October so far? The last time we were in Disney was for our Honeymoon in September of 2017. We arrived a day later than scheduled due to Hurricane Irma closing the airport. The crowds were a bit reduced and there were several attractions that were not operating due to hurricane damage. We're expecting things to be different but I'm not sure if the crowds continue to keep increasing if this will be worth our money.

My wife and I have a trip scheduled for 11/9 - 11/17. Are the fall school breaks done by then? I expect the parks to be busy on the weekends. Is there anything to point to the crowds being reduced in November during the week compared to what it has been in late September and October so far? The last time we were in Disney was for our Honeymoon in September of 2017. We arrived a day later than scheduled due to Hurricane Irma closing the airport. The crowds were a bit reduced and there were several attractions that were not operating due to hurricane damage. We're expecting things to be different but I'm not sure if the crowds continue to keep increasing if this will be worth our money.

I think it's wishful thinking on yours and our part! We are booked 11/6-11/15. I am worried about the tail end of "Jersey Week" (you are a few days further so you got that going for you) and then Veterans day. I didn't realize either of those things when we booked :crazy2:
Last year we accidentally booked over Columbus day and noticed a surprisingly huge influx of people. It was like 90+ degrees, 90 bazillion humidity, and we found ourselves in a 110 minute ToT line. Didn't realize it was Columbus day until I was having a mini tantrum about the crowds in the said 110 minute ToT line.

I should really look at a calendar when booking....

I think it's wishful thinking on yours and our part! We are booked 11/6-11/15. I am worried about the tail end of "Jersey Week" (you are a few days further so you got that going for you) and then Veterans day. I didn't realize either of those things when we booked :crazy2:
Last year we accidentally booked over Columbus day and noticed a surprisingly huge influx of people. It was like 90+ degrees, 90 bazillion humidity, and we found ourselves in a 110 minute ToT line. Didn't realize it was Columbus day until I was having a mini tantrum about the crowds in the said 110 minute ToT line.

I should really look at a calendar when booking....
If Disney Hotel prices are a good indication of what the demand is I think we're going to luck out and it won't be as busy as it has been. Jersey week hopefully will only have a minor impact on your trip. I can't imagine Veterans Day will have more than a one day impact due to it landing on a Wednesday. I'm still going to be checking this board and youtube up until we go.

This! You summed up my concerns exactly. Unless you arrive about 2 hours BEFORE scheduled opening, you will likely be in long lines for every E-ticket ride at DHS. I arrive Sunday during the first big school Fall Break week. The entire week had very little park availability until a couple of weeks ago when they increased capacity (and yes, they absolutely have increased capacity a couple of times already because completely full days in all buckets suddenly have lots more availability). That increased capacity and limited Disney hotel availability next week indicate it will be the busiest week so far. Unfortunately, I am worried that I am arriving during the period of time before Disney makes the increasingly necessary crowd accommodations. Although I'm concerned, I am going in with realistic expectations and do think we will have fun.

We arrived around 9:00 last Saturday, we were around the Skyliner exit In line, got in fast. Two hours isn’t necessary. It would be hard to get there two hours early. The parking lot doesn’t open until after 9:00. The Skyliner starts running about 8:45. You could walk from an Epcot Resort earlier.

I agree with the people saying not to judge the situation by the pictures. Cellphone camera lenses have basically 0 depth of field so it's always going to look crowded from angles taken behind people.

So, as I was standing there with all those people in front of me, my eyes were playing tricks on me? And the Slinky Dog line going all the way out of Toy Story Land was a mirage? The wait right now is 120 minutes.

Crowds were a tipping point for us. We were already balancing the risk of flights, other transportation, etc. We started watching livestreams and looking at how people's days went and realized with no FP, limited offerings, etc. plus the expected crowd numbers, we'd be waiting much longer than we typically do. That plus pandemic meant the risks increase and so the trip in Dec is a no-go. We rebooked for late April, about the latest we're willing to go weather-wise. Perhaps by then the situation has changed enough that we think its worth it.

If we were closer where it can be a long weekend and we drive there, I think we'd still have gone since it has much lower cost, lower risk, easier flexibility. To fly in for a week is just too much investment for too little.

But, I also had a (healthy, long-distance bicyclist) coworker in the hospital for several months who is just regaining enough strength to walk, and a couple other acquaintances get sick enough to need ICU, and we have a couple risk factors ourselves, so our calculations are a little more risk-averse than they would be if we didn't know anyone who had gotten that sick.

On Saturday during a holiday weekend. Not surprising to me.

Unless Disney opens up more shows and venues, it will get worse between now and the end of the year.

Last night the Orange and Lime parking closed before 7 PM, they were at capacity. What did those with dinner reservations do for parking?

So, as I was standing there with all those people in front of me, my eyes were playing tricks on me? And the Slinky Dog line going all the way out of Toy Story Land was a mirage? The wait right now is 120 minutes.

There is no doubt that lines are long. But you can still social distance while in line.

There is no doubt that lines are long. But you can still social distance while in line.

Not questioning Disney’s social distancing, I thought we were discussing the increase in crowds and wait times along with clusters of people trying to find places to eat and attractions is lacking.

Disneys COVID procedures are great, the amount of venues open to disperse crowds is not and it will become very apparent this coming week.

Unless Disney opens up more shows and venues, it will get worse between now and the end of the year.

Last night the Orange and Lime parking closed before 7 PM, they were at capacity. What did those with dinner reservations do for parking?
the watermelon surface lot is now open

I agree that the photos show pretty decent compliance, but they also show a LOT of people, and just statistically some of them must be contagious. I do think that given current attendance levels and wait times, virtual queues or fastpass should be implemented. If you are indoors for an hour in line, it doesn’t matter if you are 6 feet away from the next group, that is a really prolonged exposure and there are always some nose peekers, walk-and-drinkers, or pull-down-to-talkers in line adding droplets to the indoor air. Fastpasses would give people an option to shorten their indoor exposure to 15 mins or less.

To quote Rafiki, “It is time.”

In regards to being on indoor queues...you do understand that the way it is now, the lines move constantly. You have more of a chance of having to be indoors for a longer period of time if FastPass comes back. The stand-by lines won't move at all for quite a while, just like they used do. Without FastPass the lines move constantly.

The Touring Plans Line app uses Crowd sourced data to track actual wait times:

Right now at 10:52 on 10/6/20

Splash Mountain- WDW posted 65min TP estimate 32min
Space Mounatin- WDW posted 45min TP estimate 18min
Seven Dwarfs- WDW posted 50min TP estimate 37min

Thanks for showing us this. I just signed up for it. Still trying to decide about T-Day week.

Several posters and bloggers, such as Josh at easyWDW, had argued that Saturday wait times at HS should be no different than weekday times provided HS is hitting capacity most days.
But the actual reported wait times during the week have been considerably less than 2 hours for Slinky Dog. I stand by my (admittedly speculative) statement that weekends, particularly holiday weekends, will have longer waits.

Whoever wants to argue with me or doubt me can. I don’t care. But, I have only posted updates to inform people, not to be bashed or told I’m wrong. I’m here now so I know what it’s like. I come to WDW Christmas week and I can assure you, standby is longer yesterday and today than Christmas week. I know the lines are spread out but that has no effect on time waiting. Here’s a pic of a cavalcade today. My camera lens is not playing tricks. The head in the pic is 6 inches from me and the people across sitting down are not all one family. Disney is not doing a good job social distancing.

Last edited:
Whoever wants to argue with me or doubt be can. I don’t care. But, I have only posted updates to inform people, not to be bashed or told I’m wrong. I’m here now so I know what it’s like. I come to WDW Christmas week and I can assure you, standby is longer yesterday and today than Christmas week. I know the lines are spread out but that has no effect on time waiting. Here’s a pic of a cavalcade today. My camera lens is not playing tricks. The head in the pic is 6 inches from me and the people across sitting down are not all one family. Disney is not doing a good job social distancing.
View attachment 531473
This one definitely looks a lot worse to me than the others you've posted. (I'd probably walk away from watching this cavalcade.)

Maybe Disney will make some adjustments after this (what looks and sounds like a busy) weekend for upcoming busier times. The extended hours are hopefully a good start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter