Anyone else concerned about the crowd increase?

In this case though you know that you aren't going to get the same experience for the same money. I would think if you aren't sure you are going to have a good time then you wouldn't pay for it. There are a lot of resources including Disney themselves that explain and show the differences. They never even said what percentage of crowds were being allowed to begin with. I don't think they have increased capacity I just think more people are going.
I totally get all of that and our expectations are REASONABLY adjusted! However, if people keep reporting negative experiences with crowds, no hopping, no fastpasses, etc., people just AREN'T going to quickly hand over thousands of dollars for a negative experience (extra-long lines and waits in the sun, not enough attractions/shows open to spread out the crowds, etc.). So for us, we have already decided that if we are reading a lot of negative reports near the time of our December trip we will just hang out at our resort, drive to the beach and other alternative sites. We will bank our tickets for future use when FP+ and hopping return along with nighttime spectaculars, etc!

I totally get all of that and our expectations are REASONABLY adjusted! However, if people keep reporting negative experiences with crowds, no hopping, no fastpasses, etc., people just AREN'T going to quickly hand over thousands of dollars for a negative experience (extra-long lines and waits in the sun, not enough attractions/shows open to spread out the crowds, etc.). So for us, we have already decided that if we are reading a lot of negative reports near the time of our December trip we will just hang out at our resort, drive to the beach and other alternative sites. We will bank our tickets for future use when FP+ and hopping return along with nighttime spectaculars, etc!
Ok, I'm glad you have a back up. People don't have to hand over their money. I'm seeing just as many positive reports as negative. People have different perspectives and expectations of the crowds.

I have to admit, this just has not been our experience the last few days. We have seen nearly 100% compliance in lines and elsewhere every day this week. I saw one man without his mask pulled up and he complied instantly when he was reminded. Maybe one or two noses were out but it’s really been amazing.

We were in MK yesterday and dealt with multiple occurrences of mask non compliance and crowding issues in lines. At one point we were sandwiched between a woman who was constantly non-compliant with wearing her mask and a large group behind us who kept being up our butts with one person also not wearing their mask. We kept an extra space between us and the obnoxious entitled lady in front of us and had to say something to the group behind us twice because they were that bad and we were in a very long wait. The shops on main street were also extremely crowded. I was there the second week big September and had a more positive experience. While we are not having a bad time, we are cancelling our Christmas trip because we don't feel it will be safe.

We were there Sept 21-29 and I thought mask compliance was not a problem at all. Long lines in the sun were probably the biggest problem we encountered as standing in the hot sun was brutal. The last day was nice weather and it was much more tolerable, but mid-September shouldn't have super long lines. We have gone 3-4 times a year for 15 years (always in low season) and I am going to miss that place because we won't return until there is a FP system and hopping is an option. By all means, if you are accustomed to really long lines, short park hours, no water parks and one park per day, then you will like the current system.

We were in MK yesterday and dealt with multiple occurrences of mask non compliance and crowding issues in lines. At one point we were sandwiched between a woman who was constantly non-compliant with wearing her mask and a large group behind us who kept being up our butts with one person also not wearing their mask. We kept an extra space between us and the obnoxious entitled lady in front of us and had to say something to the group behind us twice because they were that bad and we were in a very long wait. The shops on main street were also extremely crowded. I was there the second week big September and had a more positive experience. While we are not having a bad time, we are cancelling our Christmas trip because we don't feel it will be safe.
There are 2 sets of people who have trips planned between now and the end of the year: those who are going no matter what because the crowds do not phase them, and those who booked because of the initial low crowd reports and recent discount room offers. Many of those in the latter group who are still not completely committed to going will cancel if reports over the next few weeks indicate Disney is not making proper adjustments to accommodate the larger crowds.

As has been said several times, Disney is very near or already at a tipping point where they cannot comfortably accommodate many more guests (more and more people are complaining about waits and food options - and yes I know it's all in personal perspective). And we haven't even hit the busy fall break weeks yet, which will be the first big test since Labor Day.

Oct 9-25 are fall breaks for a lot of schools in the southeast states. The Columbus Day weekend and week was completely booked for all days and parks until they increased availability last week. The weekend of the 16-19 is likely going to be the busiest weekend since reopening by far based on resort prices/availability. Disney knows exactly how many people are coming to the parks thanks to the reservations, so there is absolutely no reason for them not to be prepared. If a lot of people report negative experiences over fall breaks, that could make people think they will definitely not be prepared for the even bigger holiday crowds.

There are 2 sets of people who have trips planned between now and the end of the year: those who are going no matter what because the crowds do not phase them, and those who booked because of the initial low crowd reports and recent discount room offers. Many of those in the latter group who are still not completely committed to going will cancel if reports over the next few weeks indicate Disney is not making proper adjustments to accommodate the larger crowds.

As has been said several times, Disney is very near or already at a tipping point where they cannot comfortably accommodate many more guests (more and more people are complaining about waits and food options - and yes I know it's all in personal perspective). And we haven't even hit the busy fall break weeks yet, which will be the first big test since Labor Day.

Oct 9-25 are fall breaks for a lot of schools in the southeast states. The Columbus Day weekend and week was completely booked for all days and parks until they increased availability last week. The weekend of the 16-19 is likely going to be the busiest weekend since reopening by far based on resort prices/availability. Disney knows exactly how many people are coming to the parks thanks to the reservations, so there is absolutely no reason for them not to be prepared. If a lot of people report negative experiences over fall breaks, that could make people think they will definitely not be prepared for the even bigger holiday crowds.
U hit it on the nose here! I am in the group that thought hey Disney in November with a pass holder discount, shorter park hours, no fireworks but low crowd capacity so my sister, niece, daughter and II booked a trip for November, 2nd week but we’ve been watching and now we believe that it is probably not worth it. Yes, we are very disappointed. It has been a horrendous year. My nephew passed away in January at 19 years old. I think we are trying to grasp some sort of happy place for 2020 but I now know that a Disney vacation second week of November 2020 is not it.

U hit it on the nose here! I am in the group that thought hey Disney in November with a pass holder discount, shorter park hours, no fireworks but low crowd capacity so my sister, niece, daughter and II booked a trip for November, 2nd week but we’ve been watching and now we believe that it is probably not worth it. Yes, we are very disappointed. It has been a horrendous year. My nephew passed away in January at 19 years old. I think we are trying to grasp some sort of happy place for 2020 but I now know that a Disney vacation second week of November 2020 is not it.

So sorry about your nephew. My condolences.

The Disney park experience is definitely different than ever before.

I'm very sorry for your family's loss. Truly can't imagine.

If you still have flexibility in your cancellation policies, maybe wait as long as you can. While I am very nervous about my trip for fall break in 8 days because there is not enough time for many changes, I do have to admit that Disney is slowly making some changes. Maybe those fall break weeks will prompt Disney to make significant changes so they can accommodate the larger holiday crowds.

I'm in the first group. By the time I get there it will have been 10 months since I had a vacation and I work in a medical clinic. If all I can do is sit on Main Street eating a Mickey Bar and watch people go by, that will be just fine. I need a break. I was really hoping to get some of the earlier reports for my trip but at this point if I stand in line for an hour to ride SDD, it's better than being at work with that stress. I am so looking forward to being back there. :cutie:

I'm in the first group. By the time I get there it will have been 10 months since I had a vacation and I work in a medical clinic. If all I can do is sit on Main Street eating a Mickey Bar and watch people go by, that will be just fine. I need a break. I was really hoping to get some of the earlier reports for my trip but at this point if I stand in line for an hour to ride SDD, it's better than being at work with that stress. I am so looking forward to being back there. :cutie:

I'm in that group as well. Myself, husband, son and his GF have all been working throughout all of this (me at a funeral home), we are so ready for a break. We are coming Christmas Day (through January 3rd). We're happy to usher out 2020 from someplace other than here. We are prepared for pretty much anything, not having super high expectations (groups of people don't phase us). If enough people cancel, maybe it won't be so bad (wishful thinking!).

I'm in that group as well. Myself, husband, son and his GF have all been working throughout all of this (me at a funeral home), we are so ready for a break. We are coming Christmas Day (through January 3rd). We're happy to usher out 2020 from someplace other than here. We are prepared for pretty much anything, not having super high expectations (groups of people don't phase us). If enough people cancel, maybe it won't be so bad (wishful thinking!).
Yep I'm in the same boat too! We are DVC and had a HS graduation trip planned in May for our DD when everything fell apart. We're making up for it in October! We realized two months ago with parks closing early there would be more resort time and now with crowds increasing probably less rides. That's ok, just need to get there and unwind after this crazy year.

I am concerned about the crowd increases. We will only go during the week or not at all, if that's crowded too.

We are AP/Fl residents that spent the last three years, going 3 days a month. FYI, the parks were packed in the years prior to the shut down. That was the previous normal of WDW in Orlando. Still, it had a places to put everyone, like the waterparks, arenas for competition, shows, night hours, fireworks, hotels, restaurants, and transportation.
My guess is more than 1/2 of WDW complex is not available for use.

DD loves, loves, loves, EPCOT. Went last Sunday and said "Never Again!" (until all construction is done)

I thought the new phase announced by governor removes the shield requirement for servers at restaurants. Something has changed because the H2O WaterPark near AK is now allowing the huge inner tubes for the wave pool and the river. That has not been allowed at all this year.

Last edited:
I am concerned about the crowd increases. We will only go during the week or not at all, if that's crowded too.

We are AP/Fl residents that spent the last three years, going 3 days a month. FYI, the parks were packed in the years prior to the shut down. That was the previous normal of WDW in Orlando. Still, it had a places to put everyone, like the waterparks, arenas for competition, shows, night hours, fireworks, hotels, restaurants, and transportation.
My guess is more than 1/2 of WDW complex is not available for use.

DD loves, loves, loves, EPCOT. Went last Sunday and said "Never Again!" (until all construction is done)
Is any active construction going on OR just walls to detour and create heat danger with zero air flow for guest movement ?

I made the difficult decision to postpone till March (was scheduled 2nd week of November). I was worrying too much. Mostly about the possibility of exposure and then bringing it back to my co-workers and patients upon returning to work right after my trip. I think if I had more time off work to "quarantine" after, I would have still gone.. Decided to rent a beach villa in SC to decompress instead.

Good for you. You will never know what would have happened had you gone, but an unusual concern or worry might be a protection. When I get stopped at a traffic light, I sometimes remind myself that there’s a possibility that I have missed a potential accident or unwanted turn of events.

Hope you have a great time in SC. We went to Hilton Head in August. Lots of people on the beach, but people spaced out by family groups. Beach time was maskless, but even my cautious sister didn’t seem concerned; we weren’t actually close to anyone while walking or bike riding. At the stores and restaurants, faces were covered.

According to a timeshare article, SC has become ”the” pandemic escape place. Who knew? We came back with no signs of infection after a week.

I've resorted to believe there really is no happy place right now in 2020. Being confined to a hospital room for the next 7 weeks seems so daunting and yet I have no choice. We will all get through these rough times and it'll be behind us. I'm praying Disney gets to some normalcy soon so we can all enjoy what we love.

Let me set the record straight. I’m here at MK right now standing in front of SM. There is ZERO magic. ZERO social distancing. Most people are wearing masks. Good luck staying at least 6 feet from others. Today looks like a normal weekday. I live in FL been coming for 25 years. I’m dissapointed. I felt completely safe at Epcot yesterday as far as distancing goes and had a great day! Here no one cares. Can’t wait to leave in 2 hours. I found a sitting area near Galactic Gateway stage and there is 50 ft for people to avoid me yet they walk within 2-3 feet. All day long....There is going to be massive Corona spikes in Florida in the next 2-6 weeks. Forget waking near it’s a small world or 7 dwarfs you can’t get 2 ft away from anyone.

I was at MK at the same time, but not in Tomorrowland.

Perception, timing, and location makes such a difference when at the parks.

To answer the original question of whether I am concerned about the crowd increase would depend what size - smaller - crowds I had experienced.

I started at WDW in 1998, pre- FP, and non parking hopping. I don’t remember it as too bad. We used to wait nearly 2 hours for rides at Opryland and Six Flags when I was young. WDW didn’t seem that bad. Traveled with a friend, so company while on lines.

Fast Forward to Jan 2020. One day, Park Hoppping among 3 parks (did MK twice, used The Monorail and Skyliner between parks). Didn’t realize it was right after a Marathon weekend. And hadn’t been on a regular day (non-party night) in about 8 years. I couldn’t believe how packed it was. Strollers everywhere. The six-people- across family walking groups. FP and hopping made the difference; I was able to what I wanted. (I even snagged a BG for RotR, but was too tired to wait out the line).

September 20-30. Did 4 days (S-M-T-W) and then waited Til the following Wednesday. Skipped the weekend, based on reports and no availability at HS. Did F&W on the first Sunday.

Honestly I like parks with a bit of crowds. Some livelihood and cheer. I went in 2008 and WS was completely empty. I have pics with 2-3 people in the background. It was nice but I much prefer to have human interaction.

My impression? The crowd level (what crowd?) was great. Enough people to not have that ghost town feel. Check.

Longer wait times than I like (especially as a solo traveler). Sure. But they didn’t seem as long as the appearance made you expect. We used to stand packed in, breathing down each other’s necks, as if that made us get on the ride sooner. Overall, very good compliance with following the floor markers. Which makes those lines look horrendous.

I skipped my most desired ride - 7 Dwarves - on my first day’s visit due to the heat and lack of shade. Got there on Sep 30, midday, and thought the 45 minute wait + ride was doable.

I think the slow forward motion of the long lines is more bearable than the old packed long time duration lines.

... It would take a pretty good increase in crowd size from this week’s attendance for me to be concerned.

I would continue to plan my trips with regard to usual crowd expectations (avoid holidays and summer), weather (I didn’t realize September was so hot) - and now, ticket pricing based on date (I’ve been using old multi-day non-expiration Park hoppers. New ticket prices are quite an eye-opener!). And wait with fingers crossed For the return of park hopping and FP (with an anticipated upcharge; I’m already willing to pay for hopping, so why not?)

Returning in November. Still not planning on a Friday nor Saturday Park day. It will be interesting to see if I ”feel” the parks are more crowded

They’re selling tickets for park hopping beginning in January. Is everyone expecting this to come back by then?

The Cast Members at the Ticket Sales office certainly sounded like it was happening (and I wasn’t there buying tickets, just asking about ones i already have for November).

They did not believe the Phase 3 relaxation on restrictions would happen at Disney, however.

... Biggest tip / thing I noticed - big swings in lines or wait times. FOP line started on the bridge at 1100. When I got off, perhaps 45 minutes later, the line started inside the marquee with the wait time.

I skipped the safari, thinking it wasn’t worth it to stand in a line in the sun. So I did the Gorilla Trail - and couldn’t find a line!

Sometimes just move on and come back later makes a difference.

[My safari truck had 5 people (4 “groups”, as 3 of us were solo riders) in a vehicle that usually carries 36-45 people. Skipping rows (and plexiglass dividers between rows) and only groups seated together.]

Sadly, though, I realized I may have filled my heart’s WDW cup. Been there, done that. I guess it does happen. Still got some days left on my old ticket to be used several years down the road.

Have fun, everyone. Wherever your Happiest Place on Earth happens to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter