Anyone else concerned about the crowd increase?

Not worried at all!

I live here in the north Florida Panhandle on the Gulf Coast and we have been packed all summer. In fact, its one of the busiest summers that PCB, FL has had in years. People everywhere on the beach and out shopping and eating dinners. Its been great to make fun of the "news" all summer watching how they say the country is "shut down" while the Gulf Coast is booming with people traveling and vacationing.

Try going out without a mask and seeing people again. Stop living so sheltered!

And it will probably increase in the Fall and Winter....IMHO
Theme parks aside, with school being in person full time starting in October here, cases WILL go up. Look at the death rate. If you are high risk, stay home. Again, the case numbers will rise. Each and every family will decide for themselves whether traveling to Disney feels right to them or not.

We are hoping the crowd level will not increase in Nov. I actually thought that there would not be a "Jersey Week" this year due to Covid....guess we will see. We don't plan on any rides, using a UV umbrella to keep cooler and social distance better, no problem wearing a mask and hope that continues for the year, leaving the park after 2 hours and going back to resort. Since staying at YC and only going to Epcot that reduces using park transportation. Hoping for a relaxing trip this time.

The increase in crowds is KILLING me. Especially around RoTR as we have never ridden and only get one crack at it.

But Jersey Week is STILL ON. And with virtual school, the hotels are starting to pitch SchoolCations. Which is exactly what we are doing.
We are flying in Sunday night and staying in a 2 bedroom at Sheraton Vistana. Our kids only have in class on Thursdays and that week, we off that Thursday. And they only have virtual until 11:50AM.
So here is our schedule with a packed week.
Sunday Arrive (Disney Springs)
Monday 11:50AM School out(Universal)
Tuesday 11:50AM School out(Universal)
Wednesday 11:50AM School out (EPCOT)
Thursday Off (Hollywood Studios)
Friday Off (Magic Kingdom)
Saturday (Discovery Cove)
Sunday (Animal Kingdom) then fly home

I for one am glad to see attendance rising. That's overall good news for Disney and their employees. Hopefully they will increase capacities at the restaurants as well as lighten up on some of the other current protocols. I for one and ready to see the mask wearing be an optional item on the Covid requirements. I think that change alone will bring more people back to the area, and that will bring more money as well as the need for more employees.

Hopefully this is the first step to getting things back to a real normal.

When they reopened in July, there was supposedly a pent-up demand for vacations, yet the crowds were light. Once we got past Labor Day, we headed into what is usually the slowest time of the year at Disneyworld, yet crowds were heavier. In this topsy-turvy year, I wouldn't be surprised if the parks were largely vacant Christmas week.

When they reopened in July, there was supposedly a pent-up demand for vacations, yet the crowds were light. Once we got past Labor Day, we headed into what is usually the slowest time of the year at Disneyworld, yet crowds were heavier. In this topsy-turvy year, I wouldn't be surprised if the parks were largely vacant Christmas week.

I'm secretly hoping for this. I think the pent up demand hit later than they thought it would. I'm sure there were a lot of people that still weren't comfortable enough for travel in July yet. But at 6 months in, people are figuring out we have to get back to our lives. And with so many schools being virtual for the time being, it's easier for families with school age kids to travel right now. So maybe this is the "peak" travel time now and I will have a pleasant Christmas/New Year's vacation... One can hope anyway lol!

I am more concerned about the increase in time waiting in lines. The wait times seem to go up weekly. I feel like Disney is doing the best they can with masks and social distancing. If I see someone not following the rules I will try to avoid them if I am able to. If I feel uncomfortable at a park I will take a break. If the wait times keep increasing with no appreciable rise in more shows, food options, or not running the rides at capacity that may make me change my November plans. People need to be spread out more. I think these are the issues that need to be addressed.

I guess we all knew it would happen but, the jump from manageable crowds to what appears to be chaos on weekends and recent weekdays seems too much too soon. It appears the need to recover lost dollars outweighs the safety of guests at this point. The pictures/videos and articles over the past couple of weeks makes it look like they have opened the flood gates to guests. I know everyone wants to get out and try to feel normal but, it sure doesn't look like they are limiting attendance. I have not personally been there to experience it but, it looks like pre pandemic currently.

I agree it seems to have escalated quickly, a combination of people feeling more comfortable traveling to Disney and Disney increasing capacity. I am worried it's too much too soon and am still deciding if I'll keep my December trip.

The good thing is that the increased crowds means that Disney can reopen more. I hope that they will continue doing so and that the crowds will become more manageable and distributed.

I am hoping park hopping comes back. I wonder if it could actually help with crowds. HS is often at the new capacity, but what if some of those people were able to Skyliner over to Epcot for a bit?

Park hopping could work if people "gave up" whatever park they were at so the attendance would still be controlled. Say you are at MK & would like to leave. Looking at the Availability Calendar you see there are openings still for Epcot so you make a reservation & head to Epcot. But you decide later on oh you'd like to go back to MK for dinner & rides except there's no parks open on the Availability Calendar now. Oops too bad you have to stay in Epcot now since that's your last selected park. It's a gamble. You may or may not be able to hop depending on crowds that day. You may not get to hop to the park you want. Personally I would be fine with this scenario if it allowed park hopping & Disney could still control the crowd numbers allowed in the park at any given time.

It's all perception. I have gone to each park at least once since the re-open, and yes, it is obvious that there are more people at the parks currently than earlier in the summer. I have also gone to Universal 5 or 6 times (and Volcano Bay) so I feel I'm able to make a good comparison. This past Sunday at MK, it was very manageable. We got in the park at 9:00 and went right to 7DMT, where the line started across from the entrance to Little Mermaid (wait time said 50 minutes). We were off the ride in 41 minutes. Went to Space - line said 45 minutes and was winding all over Tomorrowland - off the ride in 26 minutes. Went to HM - line said 45 and went down along the dock by Steamboat. Off the ride in 22 minutes. Went to BTMR - line said 40 minutes, off the ride in 13 miuntes. Pirates line said 65 and started by Jungle Cruise - off the ride in 35 minutes. Mobile Ordered for Cosmic Cafe - tables available both inside and outside at 12:40. finished lunch and did Race cars - waited 8 minutes. We left around 2:00. Social Distancing markers are even in place in the extended lines, and people respect the lines. Labor Day weekend - we stayed at Universal (RPR) and all 3 parks closed to capacity each day. I don't believe any parks at WDW have closed due to capacity. As Yulilin has repeatedly said - rope drop and then the last 3 - 4 hours are your best friend, and wait times are not necessarily accurate.

There have been tons of times that the parks were at capacity and all 3 reservation buckets were full...sometimes it stayed like that and others Disney "rearranged" things to make more availability magically appear...but yes Disney parks have hit their capacity on many dates at this point.

There have been tons of times that the parks were at capacity and all 3 reservation buckets were full...sometimes it stayed like that and others Disney "rearranged" things to make more availability magically appear...but yes Disney parks have hit their capacity on many dates at this point.
I have not seen any day where the ticket booths closed and they were not selling tickets to walk up purchases, nor have I seen any sign placed out front stating so, or the app stating you could not enter a park due to capacity being reached -- which is what has happened at Universal. Are you saying that this is what has happened many times?

I have not seen any day where the ticket booths closed and they were not selling tickets to walk up purchases, nor have I seen any sign placed out front stating so, or the app stating you could not enter a park due to capacity being reached -- which is what has happened at Universal. Are you saying that this is what has happened many times?

The park reservation system have been sold out on multiple days. The ticket booths may look open but on days like that they are selling tickets for other days, not those days. So no on days where reservations are full you cannot walk up, buy a ticket, and walk in. Thats literally the point of the system.

The park reservation system have been sold out on multiple days. The ticket booths may look open but on days like that they are selling tickets for other days, not those days. So no on days where reservations are full you cannot walk up, buy a ticket, and walk in. Thats literally the point of the system.
I understand the point of the reservation system, but I have seen people walking up, buying tickets, and then entering the park. (I have only gone on weekends - and I have seen it every time, including this past Sunday, at around 2:00 in the afternoon at Magic Kingdom, and two weekends ago at Epcot). I have also seen people play the "refresh game" with reservations, which magically appear just like fast passes in the past.

They had signs out on Labor Day weekend:

https://blogmickey.com/2020/09/sign...sney-world-theme-parks-have-reached-capacity/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter