Anyone else been victimized by Donald at Artist Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolynne28

Mouseketeer
The server, not the duck. Please tell me someone else knows what I'm talking about. This guy basically shouted at us with his hands cupped weirdly around his mouth the entire time, even after telling us from jump that they weren't crowded that night. He said "my name's Donald" every.single.time he left the table. He gave us some bizarre schtick about the characters needing to spend more time with us and what we should say to them. He forgot our drinks. The kids reminded me about the chocolate heart box that comes at the end, and when I asked him about it he told us all that he'd already presented it but would be happy to do it again. Um, I'm pretty sure we'd remember if we ate those. This was our 3rd time dining there, first time bringing my parents, so we spent close to $600 on the meal. I swear when we walked out, we all turned to each other and said WTH was that?! The food was good, which is why we go back, but the overall experience was not b/c of this guy.

We are nearly two weeks out from this and we are still talking/laughing about it, so I guess that's a positive. I did my daughter's spelling words in "Donald" character this morning and everyone was rolling. I don't know, maybe we should feel grateful and see him as the gift that keeps on giving.

Maybe he transferred from one of the restaurants that does zany schticks? Like Whispering Canyon or Prime Time Café? Seems someone would have told him that Artist Point isn't like that...

The server, not the duck. Please tell me someone else knows what I'm talking about. This guy basically shouted at us with his hands cupped weirdly around his mouth the entire time, even after telling us from jump that they weren't crowded that night. He said "my name's Donald" every.single.time he left the table. He gave us some bizarre schtick about the characters needing to spend more time with us and what we should say to them. He forgot our drinks. The kids reminded me about the chocolate heart box that comes at the end, and when I asked him about it he told us all that he'd already presented it but would be happy to do it again. Um, I'm pretty sure we'd remember if we ate those. This was our 3rd time dining there, first time bringing my parents, so we spent close to $600 on the meal. I swear when we walked out, we all turned to each other and said WTH was that?! The food was good, which is why we go back, but the overall experience was not b/c of this guy.

We are nearly two weeks out from this and we are still talking/laughing about it, so I guess that's a positive. I did my daughter's spelling words in "Donald" character this morning and everyone was rolling. I don't know, maybe we should feel grateful and see him as the gift that keeps on giving.
We had a very strange waiter there a few years ago and have not been back. He was very chatty and brought an award out to show us he had received from corporate Disney. It's not easy to explain but he was very intrusive after a long park day - and very odd hahaha

I may be totally wrong here, but:

a) I thought the subject of the post was a "Mean Girls" reference. (I think the line in the movie was, "How many of you have ever felt personally victimized by Regina George?")

b) Upon reading the post, I wondered if the server was a person who could do the tasks required to be a server, but someone who didn't realize that they were behaving in a manner which restaurant guests might not view as "typical."

I really can't stand it when people post on social media or in public forums and complain and use the server's name because you had bad service. The subject line is very click bait. If it was truly that horrible of service, you should contact Disney. If it's just a funny story to share, then leave his name out of it.

Glad to see the humor wasn't lost on all ; )
I didn't report it b/c I don't want to affect anyone's job/income. He wasn't rude or mean, but it was by far the most bizarre dining experience we've had at Disney, as someone above mentioned. We didn't leave feeling good about it, but it seems it will also go down as the most memorable meal just b/c of the hilarity of it all.

It's my understanding that the cast members don't use their real names. They use a Disney character name not their own name. So, to all those upset about the use of the servers name I say relax, it's not his real name. Also, the OP has right to share her/his experience.
That's not exactly true. Employees need to wear a name tag, even if it's not their own. There is no way to determine that the name on their tag is not their own. Some places, like at WCC, the servers do use a pseudonym, but that's a true "character." Our favorite server at WCC is MT ("MT Wallet!"), and over all the years we've known her, we still don't know her real name.

It's my understanding that the cast members don't use their real names. They use a Disney character name not their own name. So, to all those upset about the use of the servers name I say relax, it's not his real name. Also, the OP has right to share her/his experience.
You're thinking of the call center CM's. CM's in the parks and restaurants can and do use their real names (though from time to time they will toss on a tag with a different name for fun or if they've lost their own). Even IF that wasn't his real name, management would have no problem figuring out which server it was wearing a tag with that name on it...and Disney management DOES read these boards. So maybe, the OP should consider removing the name.

The story didn’t sound like the service was so awful that it needed reporting, in my opinion. Maybe just an odd character but not rude or nasty so I know I certainly wouldn’t file a complaint or anything.

You're thinking of the call center CM's. CM's in the parks and restaurants can and do use their real names (though from time to time they will toss on a tag with a different name for fun or if they've lost their own). Even IF that wasn't his real name, management would have no problem figuring out which server it was wearing a tag with that name on it...and Disney management DOES read these boards. So maybe, the OP should consider removing the name.

Well, if they do read these boards maybe they will see the one about the elimination of resort package delivery. Most everyone agreed that Disney should reinstated that perk.

The next time I'm at WDW I will ask cast members if the name on their name tag is their real name or a character name.

Or not.

CM's in the parks and restaurants can and do use their real names (though from time to time they will toss on a tag with a different name for fun or if they've lost their own)...
That's what I was told as well by a CM, if they forget their name tag they end up with a generic one. There is some sort of penalty for it if it happens too often, it's really not something they want to do.

I think it's their hometown they get more leeway to play with? It came up because I saw a CM with a CA hometown listed and was like "I'm from CA!" She then asked me if I knew her city but I said never heard of it. She laughed and said it was fictional, but she gets a kick out of how many people respond "oh yeah, I know that town!"

Well, if they do read these boards maybe they will see the one about the elimination of resort package delivery. Most everyone agreed that Disney should reinstated that perk.

The next time I'm at WDW I will ask cast members if the name on their name tag is their real name or a character name.

Or not.
Um CMs use their real names. I can't imagine what confusion that would cause as they would have to learn both their coworkers real and fake names. There are spare name tags when they forget them.

We had a weird server at the Yachtsman Steakhouse some years ago. He was just...odd. For instance, when we placed our orders he seemed giddy with excitement as if we had just chosen the best items on the menu. He was harmless, but it was weird. His name was Dmitri. j/k I have no idea what his name was :earboy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter