Anyone else already nursing sick kids after *just* starting school?

Yep! Daughter was out the entire 2nd week of school with COVID (which was last week). I've got it this week.

Our house had gone the entire 2 1/2 years without COVID up to this point but I figured it would get us when school started. I've heard soooo many anecdotal stories of people getting COVID this summer that I knew cases would explode when school started back. I'd say by mid-September it will have calmed back down (at least for areas that started in early August like ours did).

My 6th grader made it 2 weeks and has been out for the last 2 days with sore throat, runny nose. Mine always seem to get sick the first couple of weeks of the school year and the week back from Christmas break.

I most likely will if he goes downhill. He has a tendency to develop bronchitis. Right now he seems okay. He's not getting worse, so that's something.
Hope he feels better. My older daughter finally got a prescription for an albuterol inhaler at the end of last year after being sick every two weeks and getting rough coughing spells. (but only needs it when she's really sick, never outside of illness so far) Worried for a return to the viruses, but I do rack up a bill with the pedi because it at least reassures me and I don't like the late night ER visit, like I had to do with my toddler who suffered with RSV last year. Best of luck.

My little great grandbaby is sick with what appears to be a very bad cold right now. She is not in school. But she goes out with her parents to stores and to visit relatives. It's around and it's going to be around, whether it's covid or the flu or some new strain of something.

Not a parent. Have been blessed to teach and work with kids at church. I do remember well always getting sick not long into a new preschool year as a teacher! I just wanted to thank and offer a hug and prayer for all of you who have kiddos in your life. Thank you for giving them loving homes. 🙏 for healthy children right now during Covid especially!

I think school aged kids are too old to nurse.

What? So you think I should let my autistic teens figure out which meds they need for each symptom and keep track of dosing schedules while delirious with fever, and also let them walk all over the house touching the refrigerator handle to get drinks and Popsicles and just spread their germs all over? 😆 No thank you.

In this house, when someone is sick, they stay in their room as much as possible so everyone else doesn't get sick, and the healthy ones take care of them and bring them what they need. It's called caring for each other. I am already a stay at home mom. It's not like I have anything better to be doing. This IS my job.

What? So you think I should let my autistic teens figure out which meds they need for each symptom and keep track of dosing schedules while delirious with fever, and also let them walk all over the house touching the refrigerator handle to get drinks and Popsicles and just spread their germs all over? 😆 No thank you.

In this house, when someone is sick, they stay in their room as much as possible so everyone else doesn't get sick, and the healthy ones take care of them and bring them what they need. It's called caring for each other. I am already a stay at home mom. It's not like I have anything better to be doing. This IS my job.

I just don't think you should breastfeed them.

This is my son’s first year of school and he’s missed 6 of 12 days so far and will be out for at least another two, if not more. 😩

School started on a Monday and that Wednesday I got a call from the nurse that there had been an “incident” where he suddenly went very pale, said he didn’t feel well, and they were concerned about him and wanted me to come get him. I brought him home and later that evening he came down with a fever so I kept him out the next day, too.

Things got better from there and I thought we were off to a fresh start by the next Monday. On Thursday, the nurse called an hour into the school day to tell me he had a runny nose and that when the teacher mentioned it to him he started crying. My kid is five and he has some weird phobia about blowing his nose, so I was picturing a scenario where he got embarrassed or scared that she was going to make him blow his nose and started crying. Besides, I had just been with him not even two hours prior and he was fine. I told the nurse the runny nose was the tail end of last week’s illness and if that was all that was going on then he needed to go back to class. She called back an hour later to tell me he threw up in class. 😔

When I arrived to pick him up he was still vomiting in the nurse’s office. He was okay at home for the rest of the day, then the next morning he woke up with pink eye. I took him to the doctor that afternoon and he tested positive for Covid. Now I have Covid and my two year old, even though he home-tested negative, came down with the same symptoms. Thankfully, the little one rebounded quickly. My poor 5 year old, on the other hand, is still running a fever and occasionally vomiting seven days into this.

We’ve practically used up all of the allotted absentee days for the year already and I’m pretty sure the next step is for CPS to take my children away for truancy. :sad:

ETA: to fix all the date errors I made while typing this in a Covid haze.

Last edited:
This is my son’s first year of school and he’s missed 6 of 11 days so far and will be out for at least another two, if not more. 😩

School started on a Monday and that Thursday I got a call from the nurse that there had been an “incident” where he suddenly went very pale, said he didn’t feel well, and they were concerned about him and wanted me to come get him. I brought him home and later that evening he came down with a fever so I kept him out the next day, too.

He got better over the weekend and I sent him back to school the following Monday. On Wednesday, the nurse called an hour into the school day to tell me he had a runny nose and that when the teacher mentioned it to him he started crying. My kid is five and he has some weird phobia about blowing his nose, so I was picturing a scenario where he got embarrassed or scared that she was going to make him blow his nose and started crying. Besides, I had just been with him not even two hours prior and he was fine. I told the nurse the runny nose was the tail end of last week’s illness and if that was all that was going on then he needed to go back to class. She called back an hour later to tell me he threw up in class. 😔

When I arrived to pick him up he was still vomiting in the nurse’s office. He was okay at home for the rest of the day, then the next morning he woke up with pink eye. I took him to the doctor that afternoon and he tested positive for Covid. Now I have Covid and my two year old, even though he tested negative, came down with the same symptoms. Thankfully, the little one rebounded quickly. My poor 5 year old, on the other hand, is still running a fever and occasionally vomiting seven days into this.

We’ve practically used up all of the allotted absentee days for the year already and I’m pretty sure the next step is for CPS to take my children away for truancy. :sad:

Illness is an excused absence. You have nothing to worry about. Hope you ALL feel better soon!

My DS had a scratchy throat which turned into fever and a croupy cough. My nurse brain went to viral something even through its early for croup. Started reading more about this current strain and decided to use a rapid home test. It was positive in 2 minutes. Thankfully it’s day 5 and he feels like his usual rambunctious self. Im
Just sharing in case someone else can learn from the croupy cough being different. Sounds like this strain is more upper airway and presents like croup in kiddos.

I'm more wondering about the chest pain/cough which was the initial symptom, followed by high fever and fatigue. He also has nasal congestion and a runny nose.

My kids never really had strep except for one time many years ago and it was just a sore throat and fever that time. No other symptoms.
When my DD had Covid in June (for the first time, post WDW trip), the thing that was different for her was the chest tightness. She’d used her inhaler (which she hardly ever uses) and felt a little better. Tested positive the next day (but it took four or five home tests, if I recall).

When my DD had Covid in June (for the first time, post WDW trip), the thing that was different for her was the chest tightness. She’d used her inhaler (which she hardly ever uses) and felt a little better. Tested positive the next day.

I had this when I had covid too. I didn't need an inhaler, but my bronchial tubes definitely felt painful and inflamed.

I'm basically treating this like covid until it's ruled out by the PCR result. But I really think it's the flu at this point.

I think the joke went over your head.

I'm more wondering about the chest pain/cough which was the initial symptom, followed by high fever and fatigue. He also has nasal congestion and a runny nose.

My kids never really had strep except for one time many years ago and it was just a sore throat and fever that time. No other symptoms.
RSV ? RSV was just terrible in my region last fall. I ended up going to the urgent care because my cough was so bad and the nurse told me it was rampant at the time. I was surprised how sick I got with it.

Ugh. This blows! School JUST started last Thursday. Sunday morning my youngest started complaining of chest pain and a cough. He napped and woke up later in the day absolutely burning up with fever and feeling awful. Of course I figured it was covid and we began taking precautions and separating him from his older brother (they share a room and neither has had covid yet). Later that evening, he threw up. Covid test was negative. He has a super severe sore throat and it's now day 3 of fever.

Fast forward to today. Older son woke up feeling sick to his stomach and went back to sleep only to wake up to throw up. He is in the adult transition program for special needs adults so he is now missing the first full week of that after going for only 3 days.

I actually don't think it's covid, though. Younger sons three tests have all been negative. I did take him yesterday to the CVS drive thru for a combination Flu/Covid PCR tests so we are waiting on those results.

Is anyone else dealing with kids illness this soon after school starting up again? Seems too early for flu, but at this point, it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to viruses in circulation.
I hope your kids feel better soon :wizard:

My DD19 would always get a horrible cold 1 week into school starting every year. Now that she’s in college I’m waiting for the FaceTime call saying she doesn’t feel good. I‘m hoping this year will be different since she’s not in a closed up school all day every day. We’ll soon find out….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter