• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone driven across border into US lately?

petunia

DIS Veteran
I understand there is no negative antigen test needed to cross into US, has anyone done this recently, was it just like crossing at any other time? We have crossed many times, sometime just for shopping and often to fly out of BUF..wondering if its business as usual or if they ask anything new aside from vax certificates? I understand you need to be double vaxxed and will need a PCR test to return. Thx

Hi, I crossed over on Christmas day to fly to Florida from Buffalo. They asked the usual, where we were going and why, how long and were we vaccinated and we said yes and he didn't ask to see proof.

We crossed back over on the 28th, we had the results of the free Walgreens NAAT test on our phone, he first asked if we had tested, asked to see the result, I showed him the picture on my phone, swiped next for the other one, I don't know how he could have even seen what the result was let alone who's name was on it, and this was all before we even handed him our passports. He looked quickly, took the passports, asked the usual how long were we gone, what were we bringing back and the value, then he said his system had selected my sister to do a random take home test and handed her the box and a piece of paper. It was easy peasy. Headed back over and down south in another month.

We crossed on Dec 18th to fly to Orlando from Buffalo. The US border officer was a little short and not very pleasant, he asked the standard where and for how long, and if we are vaccinated but did not ask to see proof. Then he looked at Ds12 and asked if school was out. Then he asked how are we getting to Orlando, I said flying and he asked what airline and what time our flight was. Oh and asked what is the name of the Disney resort. So he asked a lot and didn’t even crack half a smile but really only looked at our passports. Just have all that info ready in case they decide to interview you :)
On the way back into Canada on Dec 26th, the officer scanned our passports which I think brought up our arriveCan receipt as he didn’t ask for it. Just asked to see the tests which I printed, and waived us through. Overall easy, no problems, I would say business as usual for the most part.

I'm curious to know if anyone from Quebec crossed under Legault's curfew?

I'm curious to know if anyone from Quebec crossed under Legault's curfew?

i crossed before , the 25th. We had the nicest agent ever. Asked where we were going, how long, how much $ we had, never asked us our vaccines(which we had). Told us how smart we were, and was there room for him. 😜. We are leaving today, sadly. We will have to time it for the curfew on returning through. It will depend on the weather

Can I ask where you printed off your test results?

I was really worried about not having the results printed, I really like to have paper copies. But we were at my parent's house, they didn't have a printer, I sort of looked for a place to print it at the airport, I probably could have got the lounge attendant at MCO to print it but in the end I decided to just go with it. I had taken screen shots so I wouldn't run into any access issues. Triple checked that it said that paper or digital proof was accepted and just went with it. It was a total non issue.

I was really worried about not having the results printed, I really like to have paper copies. But we were at my parent's house, they didn't have a printer, I sort of looked for a place to print it at the airport, I probably could have got the lounge attendant at MCO to print it but in the end I decided to just go with it. I had taken screen shots so I wouldn't run into any access issues. Triple checked that it said that paper or digital proof was accepted and just went with it. It was a total non issue.
Absolutely, it says on the government website you can have a digital or printed copies. I wanted to print ours if I could, but wasn’t going to go out of my way. The resort did it for me no problem (same thing Disneyland Hotel in August) so I presented the paper copies. I just felt it was a little easier but not absolutely necessary.

Do the border agents check your vehicle, luggage, food/beverage cooler crossing into the USA?
11 people in our group so this may take a while if they do.

Do the border agents check your vehicle, luggage, food/beverage cooler crossing into the USA?
11 people in our group so this may take a while if they do.
They can if they feel the need. I’ve never been checked but it’s up to them.

I crossed over from Sarnia into Michigan before Christmas twice. The first time, the border guard was like, "Going shopping? What stores do you go to? Where you going for lunch?"

The second time he was like -

Where are you coming from? Where are you going? How long will you be there? Are you meeting anyone? What stores are you going to? Have you ever been denied entry to the United States for any reason? Have you ever been summoned to a court of law for any reason? Please unlock your doors. Please open your windows.What is your occupation?

All of which I answered with Yes sir and No sir, until the last question which I answered with, "I'm an elementary school principal." That seemed to satisfy him. It was a bit stressful but I always go into it knowing that on both sides the border guards can do whatever they want. On the way back into Canada both times it was very low key, and both times I had spent $150 US on an afternoon trip so I was ready to be sent over to the scary place.

I actually know a few people who have worked with customs. One thing to remember is they are not there to be friendly and make you feel at ease. They are performing a security function, not working at a restaurant.

Also some of the questions they ask may seem really random and sometimes they may seem very very serious, almost short. Sometimes this is done to see how you react. Remember they are trying to catch people doing something they aren’t supposed to. If someone is up to something they will get even more nervous when a guard acts like this. They are watching for this.

Also they are human and may be tired, having a crappy day etc.

I actually know a few people who have worked with customs. One thing to remember is they are not there to be friendly and make you feel at ease. They are performing a security function, not working at a restaurant.

Also some of the questions they ask may seem really random and sometimes they may seem very very serious, almost short. Sometimes this is done to see how you react. Remember they are trying to catch people doing something they aren’t supposed to. If someone is up to something they will get even more nervous when a guard acts like this. They are watching for this.

Also they are human and may be tired, having a crappy day etc.

Very true

We are home. Thankfully the weather coming home was fine, uneventful. It was just long, trying to unwind now, man is it 🥶 cold.
When we got to the border the agent first asked where we went, how much and what we had to declare. If we had cannabis 😯. No, no no. He then said I need to see all your test results, he checked our phones (so fast it was incredible), and waved us through.
Unrelated, and just to vent, I had set up a Walmart grocery delivery for today, as our grocery stores are closed for a few Sunday’s, and every single cold/frozen item and fruit is missing. 😡 All I received basically is chips, bread and a few canned goods. So angry, as I start work Monday, and basically have empty everything. I set up my refund and called but grrr.

Of course - at our Disney resort, Port Orleans FQ. I asked at the front desk and they said they can print it off for me, but I had to email it to the cast member’s work email.

Thanks. That's good to know they can do that for us. Hopefully I can print it off at our hotel in Kentucky otherwise I'll just show them the digital one.

We are home. Thankfully the weather coming home was fine, uneventful. It was just long, trying to unwind now, man is it 🥶 cold.
When we got to the border the agent first asked where we went, how much and what we had to declare. If we had cannabis 😯. No, no no. He then said I need to see all your test results, he checked our phones (so fast it was incredible), and waved us through.
Unrelated, and just to vent, I had set up a Walmart grocery delivery for today, as our grocery stores are closed for a few Sunday’s, and every single cold/frozen item and fruit is missing. 😡 All I received basically is chips, bread and a few canned goods. So angry, as I start work Monday, and basically have empty everything. I set up my refund and called but grrr.
Did you time your return outside the curfew hours?

We crossed back over on the 28th, we had the results of the free Walgreens NAAT test on our phone, he first asked if we had tested, asked to see the result, I showed him the picture on my phone, swiped next for the other one, I don't know how he could have even seen what the result was let alone who's name was on it, and this was all before we even handed him our passports. He looked quickly, took the passports, asked the usual how long were we gone, what were we bringing back and the value, then he said his system had selected my sister to do a random take home test and handed her the box and a piece of paper. It was easy peasy. Headed back over and down south in another month.

Walgreens in Buffalo or Orlando? I'm doing a quickie trip that is under 72 hours, but have no confidence that we will be back to no test needed for short trips by May. So I need to plan on needing tests to get back after our trip, but worse, it's a girls' trip where a husband will be dropping us off at the Buffalo Airport because we're both one-care families that can't just leave a car at the airport. So husband will need a quick test in NY to get back into Ontario unless rules change. Any experience with where he can go and how much will a quick test cost?
Or any experience with walking across the Rainbow Bridge and getting a taxi or something to the airport so no husband has to cross the border?

Did you time your return outside the curfew hours?

No, we crossed about 7am or so. We kind of timed it to be after, unsure of driving time, we did go right through, leaving Florida at about 5:30am Friday. With the luck we have, we Would have got pulled over for sure. 😏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter