anyone done a solo character meal?

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
I'm planning on going to Chef Mickey's on my next solo trip (I don't have too many qualms about dining alone - I did it on my last solo trip successfully), but my question is about pictures. I want to get my picture taken with the characters, but I'm not sure if there will be cast members that would help out or if I should politely ask the people near by me to take my picture. I know that at CP when I've eating there, the cast members aren't always nearby the characters. Any advice or suggestions? I'd appreciate it!

Hi Mathgeek-
I went solo this past 4th of July, and went to Chef Mickey's. When I was there, there was always a cast member next to the character. The cast member had no problem taking the picture for me.
Hope that helps a little!
Bob

Hey bobf320, did the characters pay a little more attention to you because you were solo? Thanks for letting me know.

Steven

Hi Steven-
They were VERY playful! I was really surprised how much time they stayed. I would really go if you have a chance, and want to get a great picture with the characters.
Bob

Welcome to the DIS, Mathgeek, I'm really glad you found us!

When I ate breakfast solo at Crystal Palace, the characters paid a lot of attention to me and my server took the photographs using my camera.

I loved eating there solo, I really had fun. I think I will try Hollywood and Vine, solo, next, just to see what it's like.

Katholyn

Thanks for the responses! It makes me feel better to hear that other people had good experiences doing character meals solo. I really want to get some good pics. :D

I think the characters and thier handlers pick up on what you want. I did Crystal Terrace solo and while I smiled at the characters and talked to them, I made no effort to use my camera which was sitting on the table or really engage and they moved on.

That was fine. I really just went there on a whim to escape the MK and I was hungry. I liked watching them interact with the kids, but was not in the interacting mood myself.

I have found the caracters pick up on how you react. The more you react to them the more they play with you. If you don't they say hi and move on.

I usually chat with the characters the first time they come around to the table, but after that I just wave and they'll blow a kiss and move on.

I've done character meals solo at the 1900, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's & the Garden Grill. I have to agree that the characters sense your reactions as to whether or not you want them to be playful or just wave hi and head to the next table. I found all of the characters to be very playful when I wanted them to. There is almost always a cast member around to take your picture with the character. On my last trip I had my picture taken with several characters in the parks too. There was always a CM there with the character, so I just asked them politely if they could take the picture.

I did Charactor dinners solo at Liberty Tavern and Crystal Palace. A cast member with the charactor or my server were more than happy to take my picture. Crystal Palace the only charactor who came over my way was Eyeore, but it was still alot of fun. Liberty Tavern all the charactors came by my table, and Goofy pulled up a chair. Great Fun.

I've gone to WDW several times solo and have never had a problem with getting pictures with the characters either in the restaurants or the parks. In the parks, there is always a cast member there, so I just ask them nicely if they can take the picture. In the restaurants there is usually a CM in the area to ask or you can ask the people at the next table.

Although I wasn't travelling solo, I was sitting at Donld's Breakfastasaurus waiting for my DH to return from the buffet when I got a wonderful surprise from Donald himself.

I was sitting looking down at my coffee waiting for DH to return when I noticed people at another table looking at me, as I raised my head to see why, I was shocked to find Donald's beak right next to my cheek. He'd been standing there waiting for me to notice. It was a delightful surprise and so much fun when girl at the next table offered to take our picture. :bounce:

My DH was so disappointed that he missed all the fun. But I have to say that if I hadn't been sitting alone, it probably never would have happened.

Rose

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter