• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone dealing with judgmental family members re: Disney trips right now?

Yes, we went in July and didn't tell anyone. We actually lied to my mom (our dog sitter) and said we were visiting my husbands family. We are planning to go again in November for my son's 5th birthday. I am pregnant. We didn't make this decision lightly but feel everyone will judge us for it. No-one knows I am pregnant but we did tell our parents we were going. I am intentionally avoiding the pregnancy announcement until after we go because I don't want the judgement. I think people assume it's just business as usual there or that we don't know what we are getting ourselves into. I assure you, going to a restaurant here in my home town is far more exposure than we had on our last trip.

I'm a 45-year-old woman and I'm scared to tell my parents we are going!
I am 45 too and I am not telling my Dad and Step-Mom that I am taking a girls trip with my daughters next week! My Mom and Step-Dad live in our town and know and I am sure they will quarantine from us when we get back. No social media posts will be made!

We deal with judgemental family members every time we go whether Covid is going on or not. I ignore all the comments. I figure you are an adult. You are weighing the risks and the reward. Your choice. Period.

Amen. Everything from I give too many gifts to my kids and have up too many decorations at Christmas to judgment on skipping the family Christmas this year to be sure I am healthy to attend my dad's funeral in January. It will never end. The only thing you can control is your reaction to it. I'd just tell them for the last time that while you understand that they may not agree with or understand your decision, you do need them to respect it and raising it constantly is not respect. I'd also be fine quarantining upon return if they lived nearby so no one was exposed.

Yes, friends and family have expressed disbelief that we are planning to fly on an airplane, much less vacation in Florida. I tell them they can think what they want. I've done my due diligence in researching the air and WDW. All my research says I will be safe. That said my Director said that I will not be allowed to enter for 14 days post vacation and I've rescheduled a doctor visit. I work from home now so the job part doesn't worry me - it's not like I have to use vacation or I'll miss pay.

I feel for you, we had no such judgy issues when we went last month, except one person at work when I got back. I feel the amount of increased risk is waaaaay overblown when you look at real statistics. Five of us went, we took reasonable precautions, we had fun, no one got sick.

I totally understand your problem! When my kids, (now adults and parents) were young we went to WDW very frequently, and I got much grief from my family even back then! We went on “secret” trips, but with no social media that was much easier! We, (adult son and daughter) and baby and spouses are going in two weeks! We’ve bought a baby HEPA air purifier/fan for the stroller, as well as all the protection needed for us, and we understand up front this will be a very different trip. But, that’s okay. We’ll post pics when we get back, AFTER the 2 week quarantine! Lol😊

My mom would think I'm insane if I told her how many timea we've been to the parks since it reopened. ( Haven't gotten sick !)So, I don't tell her. It would just make her worry. It's always a risk. My cousin died a few months ago of covid. He was extremely healthy college aged male, no pre existing conditions. Because of that, my family would NOT understand. I realize it can effect everyone differently. You have to make your own choices. We choose to go to the parks at mainly outdoor attractions, I'm not entirely comfortable with indoor things yet. If you are paying for the trip, it's not your parents business. I would respect them by not going around them for the 14 days after your trip. Have a great time!

My family doesn’t care- if anything, they think we were being too cautious before.

Some of my co-workers were very judgmental about someone who went to Disney back in September. Their comments are pretty rich coming from the same people who go to the tourist town nearby every weekend, crowded churches with hundreds of people, and local sporting events. So I’m not sharing exact details with work. I get banned from site for two weeks if I leave the surrounding area (basically if I leave the county I live in), so all they need to know is that I left the state.

I am 45 too and I am not telling my Dad and Step-Mom that I am taking a girls trip with my daughters next week! My Mom and Step-Dad live in our town and know and I am sure they will quarantine from us when we get back. No social media posts will be made!

I leave next week and I still have not told my parents. :rolleyes1 Any tips?

I leave next week and I still have not told my parents. :rolleyes1 Any tips?

Honestly, I just explain to people that we were in the parks the week before they closed due to COVID.

There's no way it's less safe now than it was then...

I never thought of it that way :rolleyes: My husband and I were at WDW the week before it became a thing! We left to fly home when people were starting to stop flying and were extra nervous.
We could have been exposed for sure. Being sick at disney would not be a new thing for us. One of us Always gets a "virus" of some kind at the end of our trip with coughing, fever, sore throat, fatigue. Always. I thought it was being exposed to so many people from all over. I always felt it was like a petri dish being at disney anyway. The crowds and situations that occur at disney make it difficult to distance at all (before covid that is).
We always joked about who was going to get disney sick this trip:)
I could have had the virus the week before it became known , who knows?

I took my kids to a foreign country my parents thought was unsafe (Turkey years ago) and I finally had it. I told my parents they expressed their opinion and I heard them, but as an adult and I was free to make whatever choice I wanted with MY CHILDREN, just like they got to make my choices and I was done hearing their opinion. Then if they brought it up again I would tell them I already heard their opinion and left the room. One of my favorite vacations too this day.

Good luck and parents will never stop nagging because they love you!

Your family your decision. We gave up seeking approval for a Disney trip years ago. Our family thought we were crazy for going so often. If you are comfortable going, GO. If you feel more comfortable waiting for the storm to pass, WAIT. We traveled for 2 weeks in December to several National Parks. Had a great time. We came home ten days before Christmas and quarantined. Everyone stayed well and my dh and I were glad to give some much needed business to some attractions that desperately needed it. We visited three zoos and had them to ourselves. I'm looking forward to December as I really missed visiting WDW in 2020!!

You know you have a Disney addiction when your hiding it from your friends and family. lol

But ya I am thinking the same thing, I don't plan on telling many at least.

Last edited:
Your family your decision. We gave up seeking approval for a Disney trip years ago. Our family thought we were crazy for going so often. If you are comfortable going, GO. If you feel more comfortable waiting for the storm to pass, WAIT. We traveled for 2 weeks in December to several National Parks. Had a great time. We came home ten days before Christmas and quarantined. Everyone stayed well and my dh and I were glad to give some much needed business to some attractions that desperately needed it. We visited three zoos and had them to ourselves. I'm looking forward to December as I really missed visiting WDW in 2020!!
I agree completely. It's your family so it should be your decision.

I'm judging MYSELF honestly lol. I'm still wrestling with going in May. We keep booking and then canceling. But we did decided we ARE going at some point this year so if not May then maybe the early Fall. I'm not looking forward to telling friends but at the same time a lot of my friends are people who have people come over their place without masks. So I feel like everyone is taking the risks they feel comfortable with anyway. I'm going to work everyday and I live and work in the city so taking the train an hour back and forth in itself is a risk. Granted you can say that working is more of a necessity and going to Disney isn't. But then you can also argue that Disney is not a necessity but your mental health IS and if you have been good and played it safe and not gone out a lot why not allow yourself one period of fun as long as you are still doing it safely?

If it was just me and my husband I wouldn't be so torn and would probably just go. But I am going with my daughter who will be almost 2. Yes I know that Covid doesn't infect kids as much and if it does its very rare, and yes I know that out of the kids who do get infected the number of kids that die is even slimmer but I'd be lying if that 1% doesn't still terrify me.

I'm hoping that at least with warmer weather the numbers will go down again. And with more months passing by that will mean more people have gotten the vaccine and will cause numbers to go down even a little. Planes I hear are better ventilated than you may think and they are relatively safe. I'm more anxious about MCO as its still a very busy airport from what I hear.

Sorry for the rambling. People will judge. Its unnecessary travel during a global pandemic. But everyone has their limits. If you have weighed the pros and cons and you decided you are comfortable with it and are still doing your part to protect others thats all you need. Just be as safe as you can and enjoy!

I'm judging MYSELF honestly lol. I'm still wrestling with going in May. We keep booking and then canceling. But we did decided we ARE going at some point this year so if not May then maybe the early Fall. I'm not looking forward to telling friends but at the same time a lot of my friends are people who have people come over their place without masks. So I feel like everyone is taking the risks they feel comfortable with anyway. I'm going to work everyday and I live and work in the city so taking the train an hour back and forth in itself is a risk. Granted you can say that working is more of a necessity and going to Disney isn't. But then you can also argue that Disney is not a necessity but your mental health IS and if you have been good and played it safe and not gone out a lot why not allow yourself one period of fun as long as you are still doing it safely?

If it was just me and my husband I wouldn't be so torn and would probably just go. But I am going with my daughter who will be almost 2. Yes I know that Covid doesn't infect kids as much and if it does its very rare, and yes I know that out of the kids who do get infected the number of kids that die is even slimmer but I'd be lying if that 1% doesn't still terrify me.

I'm hoping that at least with warmer weather the numbers will go down again. And with more months passing by that will mean more people have gotten the vaccine and will cause numbers to go down even a little. Planes I hear are better ventilated than you may think and they are relatively safe. I'm more anxious about MCO as its still a very busy airport from what I hear.

Sorry for the rambling. People will judge. Its unnecessary travel during a global pandemic. But everyone has their limits. If you have weighed the pros and cons and you decided you are comfortable with it and are still doing your part to protect others thats all you need. Just be as safe as you can and enjoy!
Luckily it’s not even close to 1%. It’s more like .0005%

My 2 cents: Having been in the pandemic era myself and also being very cautious Northeasterners who were scarred by the early wave here in NY, we felt more comfortable and safe at Disney than going to the grocery store. Consider:

1. Very strict mask requirements on-property
2. Rigorous cleaning (at least that we saw)
2a. I have never been on a cleaner plane in my life. I fly a lot for work and personal travel and planes really gross me out - I would've licked the seat back tray for $10, that's how clean the plane was.
3. You are outside a good chunk of the day at Disney (parks, DS, etc.)
4. They are doing an excellent job on-property with social distancing as far as I could tell when we went, and it was a really enjoyable trip!

However, only you know what is best for your family and what's worth it/what your 2-year-old can handle. And if someone judges you for going but you plan on following the rules, please refer to all points above and tell them it's no riskier than anywhere else in public right now. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter