• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone dealing with judgmental family members re: Disney trips right now?

mercuryvenus

DIS Veteran
Not sure what forum to put this in. We’re new DVC members (joined in February) and are excited to go on our first DVC trip. We went to Disney last in February with both sets of grandparents and our 3 year old.

After a ton of consideration about Disney’s precautions, waiting to see whether there were outbreaks linked to the parks, etc. we decided to book for late January. One set of grandparents will be coming with us. We looked up the risk of getting COVID on a plane (1/7100 if the middle seats are blocked). Disney is taking what seem to be very reasonable and effective precautions. A vaccine is probably not going to be the panacea, so we all can’t just wait until then to live our lives. At some point, we need to be thinking about masks, washing our hands, and social distancing as the answer here, not simply the vaccine.

Anyway, my parents think we’re insane. They said there’s no reason to take a recreational trip during this time. I told them I’m not looking for their approval and certainly not expecting them to come with us. I said I understand why they are making the decision they are. We are healthy people in our early 30s. Our daughter is healthy. Our in-laws are older, but are making the decision that they want to make.

My parents just will not stop telling me how much they “completely disagree” with our decision. I just don’t want to hear it!

Anyone else in this situation?

I have the opposite issue - my parents (in their 70s) think we've been crazy to isolate as much as we have this year. They were SO EXCITED we decided to go to WDW in Dec! Wait, what? LOL

However, I do have a friend who won't let her DD be around mine now that we are venturing out. Oh well, my DD (9) is super excited to be out of the house a bit more normally now albeit with tons of precautions.

I have the opposite issue - my parents (in their 70s) think we've been crazy to isolate as much as we have this year. They were SO EXCITED we decided to go to WDW in Dec! Wait, what? LOL

However, I do have a friend who won't let her DD be around mine now that we are venturing out. Oh well, my DD (9) is super excited to be out of the house a bit more normally now albeit with tons of precautions.

Yeah it’s so weird. Might have been buried in my post, but one set of grandparents (ironically the older and less healthy ones) are coming with us because their attitude is that they could die anyway and want to live their lives.

My parents, who are actually super healthy, think we’re crazy.

My family meets me at WDW regularly. If anyone doesn’t want to go, or can’t, they don’t. They’ll catch us on the next trip. Family reunions were the main reason we bought into DVC.

Last edited:

You have the right to do what you want, they have their right to express their opinion about it.

Your parents are just worried about your family’s health and well-being because they are your parents. Someday when your daughter is grown, she will probably do something you are concerned about. You’ll have the right to express your opinion about it if you care to and she’ll have the right to ignore your opinion.

You know what’s so weird about the particular paranoia about Florida? While I understand people’s apprehensions about the lack of mask mandate and whatnot (and wouldn’t personally travel around non-Disney parts of Florida), the state itself has had cases really decline. Orange County has 12 cases per 100,000 right now; in my part of Maryland we’re at 8.5 per 100,000. It’s really not the hotspot it used to be. Other places, like Wisconsin, are WAY worse. In fact, Wisconsin may be in the worst shape of any state right now.

You know what’s so weird about the particular paranoia about Florida? While I understand people’s apprehensions about the lack of mask mandate and whatnot (and wouldn’t personally travel around non-Disney parts of Florida), the state itself has had cases really decline. Orange County has 12 cases per 100,000 right now; in my part of Maryland we’re at 8.5 per 100,000. It’s really not the hotspot it used to be. Other places, like Wisconsin, are WAY worse. In fact, Wisconsin may be in the worst shape of any state right now.

The sunbelt should decline over the next few months, as people are able to comfortably be outside. It's going to be a loooooooooong lonely winter in the north/northeast. It's moot for me, I have a newborn (and kids under 2 if they get Covid tend to need hospitalization) and work for a healthcare organization with travel restrictions. I'm just hoping that our low positivity rate in the northeast + telework will keep things from getting bonkers bad again.

I agree, the parks (as well as air travel) seem to be so safe - no sign of outbreaks at all! If you're able to take a trip and are comfortable with it and willing to be safe, I say do it. It will be a welcome break from life as of late!

Yep! MIT did a statistical analysis that said your chances of getting COVID on a plane with everyone masked are:

1/4300 if every seat is full
1/7700 if the middle seat is blocked out

Crazy low, right?

Lots of families are struggling with differences of opinion of what activities are appropriate due to the potential for exposure/illness from Covid-19 right now. You aren't alone in that struggle. Family units that live together make their decisions, but other family members living in different dwellings with different needs make different choices. I think many folks on this board can relate to the struggle of dealing with differing choices and how that impacts them. Frankly - its a world-wide problem. I'm not your parent - so I won't judge you - but I'd be MORE worried about your relationship with your parents if they didn't feel free to tell you their opinion, to be honest. Just respect not exposing them and do your thing.

Yup we are in the same boat! We are taking a secret trip in November with our best friends and my dad and everyone is in agreement that no social media posts will be made. We have lots of very 'don't leave the house except for groceries' types in our family and friend circles and it's not worth the fallout.

We haven't quite figured out the best way for no one to notice our absence for 10 days though :rotfl: . My friends live in the apartment at their parents (who are definitely going to be the most freaked out) and it's going to be obvious when they go missing. I think the plan was to tell them we are going out of town pretty much the day before so there is minimal time for discussion about it. I still would bet good money there will be tears when they find out! :scared:

My cousin is super strict too but she lives in Alaska so it's easy to slip one past her. Plus we already had the discussion about how she's taking Covid precautions VERY seriously and she's not going to ask about my travel plans and I am not going to tell her. We both know ourselves well enough to know it would cause serious friction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter