Anyone cook with cast iron skillets?

emer95

DIS Veteran
Ive been thinking about getting one. I love to cook and I feel like it's time to invest in good quality cookware. I've done a bit of research, but nothing is better than Dis advice.

What do you use it for? Do you get a lot of use out of it? I know they require more care than the average pan. Do you think it's worth it?

Thank so much!

My parents use them for everything. You have to properly season them. You rub it with oil and bake it. And you aren't supposed to wash it because washing it removes the seasoning. You wipe it out. It becomes like a non stick pan with use.

DH bought me one from Cracker Barrel, it was preseasoned. I just put a little oil on it every now and then and leave it in the oven when I'm prewarming it or cooking something like a frozen pizza that doesn't need a precise temp.

I use mine at lest once a week. Last night I seared a pork roast in mine, then added cut potatoes and carrots, covered with foil and threw it in the oven for an hour. I showed my 16 and 10 year old boys how to do it. They agreed it was super easy and the roast turned out amazing. Easiest dinner ever.

To clean, I put some water in it (about an inch) and boil it as I scrape the bottom and sides, then dump the watee and wipe it out once it's cooled a little. Then back into the oven it goes for next time!

Ive been thinking about getting one. I love to cook and I feel like it's time to invest in good quality cookware. I've done a bit of research, but nothing is better than Dis advice.

What do you use it for? Do you get a lot of use out of it? I know they require more care than the average pan. Do you think it's worth it?

Thank so much!
I do, but not daily. I use mine for sauteing or browning meat, making hash browns and anything else you'd use a regular skillet for, as well as pancakes on the griddle and other types of meat on the cast iron grill pan. I have a Lodge brand 12 inch skillet, round griddle and square grill and a dutch oven DH rescued from a roommate 22 years ago. The dutch oven is used for roasts and soups/stews.

I clean mine by rinsing with very hot water and wiping them out. If they are really dirty, I will use hot water and a kosher salt scrub. I don't bake mine in the oven, but will dry them immediately (hand wash only) and let them sit usually overnight. Then I wipe about a tablespoon of vegetable oil on the inside and outside of the pan and put it away.

I bought two at Cracker Barrel. They were too darned heavy to deal with for cooking so they are hanging prettily next to my wood stove for decoration.

I love mine, I get a lot of use out of it, and I think the increase in work is minimal. It's my favorite way to cook a steak, especially when grilling isn't an option.

I have 2 cast iron skillets and one Dutch oven. Use them all the time!

Some things we've done:
At campouts: Hamburger stew; Monkey bread; cornbread; Shepard's pie; Cookies; dump cake; Fajitas (steak, chicken and shrimp); quesadillas; bacon, egg and potato mash; cobblers; cinnamon rolls (ETA: all done over a fire or with charcoal)
At home: cornbread; steaks; hamburgers; braised short ribs; roasts; pineapple upside down cake; baked mac & cheese; chicken pot pie (top crust only); smashed potatoes, fully loaded (ETA: in the oven or on the stove)

I just use hot water and a paper towel, unless it's greasy (like from burgers), then I use a bit of kosher salt and a sponge.

I think they are easier to care for in a way - no washing just wipe down. I do not like how heavy they are but have gotten to the point where I don't often move mine (tip to ladle liquids).

We use cast iron a bit, love the dutch ovens (even when not camping). Some recipes taste better cooked in cast iron, like corn bread...baking corn bread in anything other than a cast iron skillet should be a crime :).

I would suggest investing in Lodge brand cast iron. That is probably the Gold Standard brand...and they usually come preseasoned. Honestly they are so much easier to care for than even teflon coated skillets

I use mine every day. I inherited my grandmother's standard size pan and griddle (i think it's technically called a hoe cake pan?). They work great. I bought myself a new big Lodge skillet and it works great too. I just recently threw out my other skillets that haven't held up.

My DH loves cooking in the cast iron skillet. He uses it for pretty much everything; he puts it on the stovetop, in the oven, and on the grill. It is certainly versatile. I got yelled at as a child for cleaning a cast iron pan with soap, so I have some weird fear that I am going to ruin DH's precious cast iron pan and I refuse to use it. However, I will admit that as long as it is properly seasoned it works wonders. (and he didn't spend a lot on his; he wanted to try one out first and spent maybe $15 on Amazon for a 10 inch pan and it's been great so far.)

ETA: my DH also bought a Lodge brand - gets great reviews (and cheap as previously mentioned).

I had one but gave it away as I found it to be too heavy and I never used it.

Too bad you don't live by me, I would just give you mine because it's too heavy for me to use. A well maintained skillet is great, it's like a non stick surface. Great for frying chicken, searing steaks, baking cornbread, deep dish pizzas, and I would even sear meats and add a bit of liquid and let them braise in the oven.

Too bad you don't live by me, I would just give you mine because it's too heavy for me to use. A well maintained skillet is great, it's like a non stick surface. Great for frying chicken, searing steaks, baking cornbread, deep dish pizzas, and I would even sear meats and add a bit of liquid and let them braise in the oven.

Aww, that's so nice of you to offer! Where do you live? Maybe I'll take a road trip, LOL.

Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm definitely going to get one. I feel like I'll be a real grown up chef. I promise I'll invite you all to dinner the first time I use it. :lovestruc

Daily user here! We have all sizes up to a 12" skillet. I use soap on mine but the only time I reseason is if its been stripped. But a coating of oil in a hot pan does the trick. I really love dutch ovens for braising things

I love my cast iron. I have a bunch of lodge cast iron, from a Dutch Oven to a 15 inch skillet down to a 4 inch skillet. Would love to find some decent priced Griswold pans, but around here they are way to expensive.

They are so easy to use and they can take some serious abuse. They are usually my go to pans for most everything. Those and a set of Revere Wear Pro-line cooper core stainless steel pans.

I know most people here say they dont wash them, but I have found that sometimes strong flavors linger with just wiping them down, especially fresh Rosemary. Yes, they are heavy, but they will last for a very long time, I think well worth the weight.

Here is great article about buying and maintenance of Cast Iron by someone who not only is a great cook, but also has a background in science.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-buy-season-clean-maintain-cast-iron-pans.html

And the recipes are on this site are great, I dont think I have made one yet that is bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter