Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

No, I just don't understand why you would think it was Disney's responsibility to warn people about Zika
I'm not sure about the OPs approach, but I'd never think it was WDW's responsibility to warn me about any outside issues. However, in attempting to research the issue for myself, I *would* assume that the huge, corporate, tourism mecca of WDW probably has better access to experts and input and may be (in their own interests) sharing such information with their visitors. Asking whether WDW has made any statements could be just one of many steps in personal research.

Disney is not warning anybody.

The Centers for Disease Control is issuing warnings regarding Zika. Most are related to travel outside the United States. Only one refers an area of a few square miles in Miami. There are no current warnings from CDC regarding central Florida or Disney World specifically.
As of right now, if you wish to continue your travel plans, you may wish to bring some insect repellent.

I think there was an announcement on the monorail?

"BING BONG - This is Jiminy Cricket just letting you know that if you're having sex here in WDW to be sure to use a condom because of the Zika virus going around and kids, remember to use bug spray to stop those pesky mosquitoes, right Goofy? Yeah, Jiminy they're almost as big as alligators here! Goofy shut up! Gawrsh, sorry Mickey! - BING BONG We are now approaching the Transportation and Ticket Center..."

If you're pregnant or of child bearing age it's something to consider if you're down there but the odds of you getting it are still far, FAR less than even having a car accident driving down there! (Unless you're in a certain section of Miami! :) )

If you do a search for "mosquitos" there is already another ongoing discussion about zika. The last few pages especially are mostly focused on pregnant women who plan to travel soon. Disney is probably not going to issue any sort of warning or statement, and any information you find here will be mostly opinion. It's best to just talk to your doctor, monitor what the CDC is saying, and make the decision you think is best for you and your family.

are you pregnant, or might become pregnant, or planning on becoming pregnant?
If so, maybe keep an eye on what CDC says.
Otherwise, no worries. Bring some insect repellent.

Wow, because those of us who face cancelling our trips are not already having a hard time with it. Our 15 yr Anniversary trip that has been in the plans for two years and our little ones first trip, is now not looking so good. But as long as others have a great time, that is all that matters.

What matters is that people and babies are safe, that is what matters.
They were kidding. It sucks for those of us who are either pregnant or trying to get pregnant, but there's no reason to take things that were obviously said in jest so literally.

I'm guessing I shouldn't have asked this question especially since the whole gator thing. It appears that I unintentionally crossed some kind of defense mechanism. I was thinking the company may want to let folks know who are coming and it is across all news sources what their response was or just a friendly comment like "hey pack bug spray". I never said it was their responsibility to do anything. I simply asked the question.

AFAIK, it is not Disney's habit to comment on any ongoing or potential public health problems. Anything they say could put them at risk of liability, given the US penchant for suing at the drop of a hat. They didn't comment last year with the Ebola panic, or before that with the swine flu or SARS, (add your own epidemic/pandemic here______________).

The CDC, in the US, is the authority for this. Other countries, through their external or foreign affairs ministries or departments may issue their own, perhaps broader, warnings for their citizens considering travel in the area.

I'm guessing I shouldn't have asked this question especially since the whole gator thing. It appears that I unintentionally crossed some kind of defense mechanism. I was thinking the company may want to let folks know who are coming and it is across all news sources what their response was or just a friendly comment like "hey pack bug spray". I never said it was their responsibility to do anything. I simply asked the question.

As has been said, the CDC has not warned anyone away from Orlando. And fwiw, I have never needed bug spray at Disney World.

Here's a lengthy thread with lots of informative links and with posts by guests who have canceled their trips based on their physicians' advice:
Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

are you pregnant, or might become pregnant, or planning on becoming pregnant?
If so, maybe keep an eye on what CDC says.
Otherwise, no worries. Bring some insect repellent.

I'd add immune compromised to that list. Not sure how much I trust the CDC, as they have to balance safety and mass hysteria/panic.

I don't think Disney will likely say anything, just leave it up to CDC and other travel advisory. What I do think they will do should the virus make it to the area is make some adjustments to amenity offerings. One year we went in the fall, when is was slow season, and the parks were closing early evening. We were fine with that because we had planned pool time and relaxing. Unfortunately for us "due to the unusual mosquito population that year all Disney pools closed at dusk", guarded by CMs. Led to some boring evenings and wished they had extended park hours to make up for it ... but if it involved water, they were keeping areas clear. That would be the kind of thing I could see them doing.

It's such a personal decision, good luck.

What most of the people on here said. I would check the CDC websites, and personally, if I were pregnant, I would think long and hard about any possible risks because there are quite a few attractions someone who is expecting may not want to do. I'd wait until I could do everything I wanted to, but that's just me. I rarely get bitten by a mosquito and if I do, it goes away in a couple of hours (mostly) but I don't ever remember me or anyone in our party getting bitten at Disney. I don't think you were silly to ask. I once called and asked what they thought about a hurricane in the gulf that was supposed to directly hit Orlando. They were like, "well, of course we're all concerned and keeping a watch on the weather...", whereupon I felt rather foolish. We were leaving that night, so we headed out. Worked out well for us as it turned and went through the panhandle. We had near empty parks until mid week.

I am a nurse, TADA.... Lol, but the reason I say this is I am a nurse instructor... I tell all my students the same thing about mosquitos, bed bugs, lice, etc. They do not have to have passports, they know no borders, they don't know the difference between North Miami and Lake Buena Vista.
If you are pregnant it would absolutely behoove you to check with your doctor, read the CDC guidelines/warnings, and follow their advice. If you do choose to travel use whatever products that are safe to protect yourself and your unborn child.
There is great advice here from Previous Posters, but I would absolutely rely on my Doctor's advice....
Good luck, and remember WDW us not going away anytime soon, there's always next year!

I think it is a safe bet that the virus will spread as mosquitoes bite infected people and then someone else. Today's news reported 10 new cases discovered because of urine testing (many people don't even know they are infected because they don't feel sick). Trust your doctor and if you get the go ahead be SURE to use repellant with DEET. I would be particularly careful about night time exposure.

I bet they are stocking the gift shops with mosquito repellant.

@TFFW

Interesting question, I believe there were repellent wipes in the OPR gifts hop last time we were there...

Back in (I think) 2003 when we attended our first MNSSHP the bugs were terrible. We didn't bring any insect repellent with us so we were looking in the MK stores for some. After several places with no success we asked a CM where we might find some. We were told Disney didn't sell insect repellent because they didn't want guests spraying it around where it would bother other guests that might have allergies, sensitivities, etc. I don't know if they sell it now. We started bringing our own but found that we haven't needed it. Just that one year was bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter