• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

chrismom3

I want to live on Main Street!
I've been hearing alot lately about mosquitos and Zika in Florida over the summer months. We'll be there in July/August and wondering if anyone here was really concerned. The only time I've ever been bit was on the beach watching Wishes from the Poly......

I've been hearing alot lately about mosquitos and Zika in Florida over the summer months. We'll be there in July/August and wondering if anyone here was really concerned. The only time I've ever been bit was on the beach watching Wishes from the Poly......
If I were pregnant or had a chance of becoming pregnant, I would not go.

As that is not the case for me, I feel fine about going.

If I were pregnant or had a chance of becoming pregnant, I would not go.

As that is not the case for me, I feel fine about going.

I agree with Shanti. Since I'm done with that part of my life, I really don't worry. I also feel that if the mosquitos that carry Zika are in Florida, they're probably up here in NY. Trust me, Zika is the least of my worries at Disney World this August. ;)

As someone who will be going 6 months pregnant, I am not overly concerned. I will take precautions. But I get bit more walking to my car in New England than I ever have in Disney

Personally, I am not at all convinced that Zika is the problem. So no, I'm not worried - and I am trying to get pregnant. But I would definitely do your own research and draw your own conclusions, and only do what you feel comfortable with.

In 9 visits, I can remember being bitten by mosquitos once. I get more than that in my backyard. If, however, I was still at a point in my life where I was considering getting pregnant, I might not go. At least I would discuss it with my doctor. But at this point, I'm not worried.

As someone who just moved to southern Louisiana.... I don't think there's any more threat there than back home. So I'm not too concerned. I'm not planning on kids for another two years+ anyway.

I feel like the media reports have been overblown. I saw a couple from abroad who were freaking out because they couldn't find any repellent at the resort sundries shop. From the news reports, they probably thought everyone was dropping like mosquitoes from Zika in Florida.

I'm 3 months pregnant and will be 5 1/2 months pregnant when I go in September. My OB was not concerned at all when I asked. She just said to stay tuned and that I am no more at risk in Orlando than I would be in Maryland, if locally transmitted infections become an issue. I was handed an official Maryland Dept of Health Zika prevention kit at my last pre-natal appointment which was basically a paper with a list of countries not to visit, a bottle of mosquito repellent...and 2 condoms.

countless trips and as for on property, we have seen grasshoppers as long as a playing card, but never a mosquito. I mean really....has anyone else seen the hoppers? They are like something from the time of dinosaurs

Much of what I've read on Internet forums has been the hysterical overreaction of the ill informed. Currently there are no mosquitoes in Florida that are carrying Zika. So, currently there is no reason to worry. If and when they are confirmed, I'll add a bottle of mosquito repellant to my suitcase.

Not really concerned but after getting bitten 3 x in the past week I was wondering if we should carry spray with us? They have been annoying us this summer but was not sure how it was in Florida? Anyone take spray or use anything?

I'm not pregnant but was planning to start trying again right after our trip in September. I am planning to talk to my OBGYN closer to travel time just to see if she has any concerns. If anything we will just wait longer to start trying again if by the time we go there are actual reported cases. My husband and I plan to wear bug spray too just to be a little more cautious, mosquitoes have never been a problem for us at disney before.

What kind of signage is/has Disney erected in the last few months to warn the guest of possible pests containing Zika virus?
How many signs are in every airport at gates for planes headed to FL?

How many signs are in every gas station along I-10 headed east or 75 or 95 headed south?

How many Amtrak trains have signs?

How many hotels along the coasts have signs?

Come on. It's not disney's responsibility in the least.

How many signs are in every airport at gates for planes headed to FL?

How many signs are in every gas station along I-10 headed east or 75 or 95 headed south?

How many Amtrak trains have signs?

How many hotels along the coasts have signs?

Come on. It's not disney's responsibility in the least.

How would anyone traveling by Stage Coach know of the Zika?

I agree it's not Disneys responsibility to inform of the threat whatsoever.

Mosquitos do not bother me (I get maybe one bite a year) but they eat my niece alive so when I took her to Disney last summer, I took bug spray, her OFF repellant fan, a ton of refills for the fan and Benadryl cream for any bites she might get. It was all in my checked luggage so we did not use it on arrival day and she did not get bitten so we decided not to use it the other days, either. She ended up with zero bites for the week. I don't know how Disney does it but we had absolutely no troubles so if I were in your shoes, I would not be very concerned. I have no plans to take bug spray this summer based on our experience last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter