• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, no.

But If you only feel comfortable travelling through MCO with a mask on because of international travelers, then you should probably wear a mask at Disney too. Lots of international travelers there.

So If that’s the case, you might be better off cancelling.

At MCO yesterday. Saw ZERO masks. Didnt see any in Atlanta Airport either and thats a true international hub.

Saw one in WDW over 4 days.

Here in the states seeing someone wearing mask worrying about this makes me wonder if they also worry about a bolt falling off an airplane.
I mean even in China considering how many people live there. More will die of the flu. The panic is just not warranted.

Over 100 children have died from flu this year in the US, while zero have died from Coronavirus. Anyone worried about Coronavirus should be much more worried about flu.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/over-100-children-have-died-from-the-flu-this-year-in-the-us/
My husband and I just had the flu that we easily treated at home...I'm more worried about Coronavirus not about necessarily catching it as the risk is considered low at this point, though there are people in my metro being monitored for it but because there is still so much unknown.

Sister-in-law's boyfriend had influenza B and the doc told him ibuprofen, fluids, and dayquil. I already mentioned on another thread but don't think that's gonna work for Coronavirus.

People who continuously compare to the flu IDK it's weird like we know the flu, we know what to do, how to treat, how it spreads, we have a vaccine for it, we know how to mitigate our risks, we know the symptoms, we know so much about the flu. We don't however have the knowledge security with Coronavirus especially when a country keeps changing who they are counting has it.

And yes it's entirely possible to be concerned about both. What I do know is that I would be a guinea pig should I get the virus..I am not when it comes to the flu.

I wouldn't cancel a WDW trip at this point.

We're going to CO next weekend for skiing though we're driving and in April we're going to Vegas flying there. But I totally understand keeping an eye out on how things progress. At this point it seems localized in where cases are at so that's a place to keep an eye out in terms of spread of it. Hopefully truly quarantining people (vs the cruise ship pseudo quarantine) works better.

It is a highly contagious virus, but is, as far as it has gone so far, no more dangerous than the annual flu viruses. Trying to control the infection would be the best solution until there is a vaccine developed. Hopefully, it will not mutate to become more serious, and will follow the same patterns as flu viruses that tend to drop off in the warmer summer months. In the meantime, bump up your frequency of hand washing and hand sanitizers.

I think it is actually more dangerous than the flu, at least as far as we know currently. It is currently around a 2% death rate, some figure 1% on the very low side and the flu is about 0.1%, so 10 to 20 times as many deaths as the flu, and that is at a minimum. I am worried about our trip in May, and other trips in the next few months (among, of course, other things). I don’t know what they’ll do if a cluster shows up here in the US, will they quarantine cities? Stop air travel? I don’t know. I hope they still contain it or more likely, that one of these drugs that they’re trying works.

edited to add I am not canceling at this point, just doing a wait and see and I’d do the same for next fall too. There is not likely to be a vaccine by then though unless there is a medical miracle.

At MCO yesterday. Saw ZERO masks. Didnt see any in Atlanta Airport either and thats a true international hub.

Saw one in WDW over 4 days.

And the person at WDW wearing the mask may not have been specifically for the coronavirus. They may be undergoing cancer treatment, or have a weakened immune system, so need extra protection.

I have travel plans for next month. I have not cancelled them yet. Then again, I'm not traveling to a place which has recently seen a spike in Coronavirus cases.

At this point, I think being an informed consumer is our best bet. Follow the news (whatever news source(s) you find most relevant). If you're flying, double check your airline reservations to any area - US or otherwise - to make sure that there are no travel delays.

And best advice I have for any traveler - always, regardless of destination - always prepare for the unexpected. In this case, travel interruptions may impact the US more than anything else. Carry some spare cash with you, just in case, and pack your sense of humor. We're all in this together.

I might add that you should have trip insurance if your trip is more expensive than you can totally lose. And, don't forget medical evacuation insurance. You would not want to find yourself in a foreign country without adequate medical care, and be unable to afford the evacuation (which can be extremely expensive).

We go to WDW April 6-12 and I'm not worried about contracting coronavirus while there. But I am worried about getting stung by a jellyfish while at Vero Beach before our WDW trip.
That’s why I love the Pacific. Particularly El Porto beach by Manhattan beach. Great waves. Cold water yes. But you get used to it. And nothing in the water but sharks and stingrays. And as silly as this sounds. They’ll leave you alone.
Every time I get in the Atlantic. A jellyfish gets me. So no more of that. Lol

Apparently you do not understand statistics very well. yes the overlap number of flu deaths is many many times higher. SARS appears to be less transmissible than either this virus or the common cold, although it was significantly less deadly. If you and 10 of your family and friends got sars, once would die. For the flu, if 1000 of your family and friends got the flu, 1 would die.

I’m not saying the flu is anything to ignore. And yes in this country and this very moment, its here and it’s real and it’s killing people. But the other virus has the potential to kill 200x as many people.
Thank you giving real information! The US, I believe is not taking this seriously enough and people need to understand the true severity of this situation and what could erupt at anytime here in the states. We need to stop comparing this to the flu and be more informed. Excellent response with real and useful information. People also need to recognize that the US is not widely testing for this virus right now and the criteria for testing issued by the CDC is likely going to miss many cases. We will be at a turning point soon and I hope people start looking at the real data and stop telling each other to simply wash hands and you’ll be fine. Pay attention to the situation in Italy right now. Thanks again!

Are you young, fit and perfectly healthy? Or are you over 80 (14.8% mortality rate)? Have diabetes (7.3% mortality rate)? High blood pressure (6% mortality rate)? Or cardiovascular disease (10.5% mortality rate)? That said, I would at least wait until there is (confirmed) sustained community spread before cancelling anything. But based on what’s going on in Italy, Iran and South Korea, it’s probably only a matter of time. Despite being young(ish) and fit, I still fall into one of the above categories so I will *not* be doing anything that puts me at an increased risk of contracting the virus. Most likely I’ll just stay inside for the next 18 months until they develop a vaccine 😜😷

Stats btw are from the largest COVID 19 case study to date. Published last Monday by the Chinese CDC.
http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51

Our trip isnt until June so hopefully this virus will be over. DD is going to an accepted students day in Florida next month. I am worried about her flying. She and DH are driving down but DH was going to stay and visit family while DD flies home. That trip may change.

We were considering going in May; but my bigger issue now is that my dd is in Italy. She was in Venice for Carnaval , Milan Saturday for fashion week ( we were not aware of the development till Saturday afternoon) and now back in Florence where she will be till mid May. I’m supposed to go there in 38 days. I’m not sure if that will happen. She said all the masks are gone in Milan and Florence. At this point Disney seems years away to me; just focused on the next few months.

That’s why I love the Pacific. Particularly El Porto beach by Manhattan beach. Great waves. Cold water yes. But you get used to it. And nothing in the water but sharks and stingrays. And as silly as this sounds. They’ll leave you alone.
Every time I get in the Atlantic. A jellyfish gets me. So no more of that. Lol
I was stung by a jellyfish at Huntington Beach in CA when I was in Jr. High. It hurt for several hours, but was more of a fright than anything.

I was stung by a jellyfish at Huntington Beach in CA when I was in Jr. High. It hurt for several hours, but was more of a fright than anything.
Wow. That’s a rare deal.
Warm waters just have more in them. And with that. The east coast and Florida waters is a no go for me. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter