Anyone Cancelling?

Cancelled aug 9-14. Multiple reasons many of which were mentioned here. Traveling with daughters and their families which include 2 - 2 yr olds (masks would be impossible), newborn (no explanation needed), reduced experiences, etc. we are dvc members and go frequently. We don’t mind not doing parks but not being sure what will happen to pool time and dining, on top of masks in aug heat AND flying. Just too many unknowns at this time. We are all in agreement to hold off till next year maybe go few more days. Of course will have to buy 2 more tickets for the then 3 yr olds - imagine the price for children next year will be what we pay for adults this year :rolleyes:

I canceled my August trip. The reduced experience isn’t worth the high cost. I also have a young kid who won’t want to wear a mask all day. I’m in favor of masks for adults in most situations, but it’s hard with kids.

I honestly don’t know what to do. We were originally booked May 13-20, then around mid-April I moved us to June 23-30. ((AP room only rate at the yacht club, rebooked all our dining reservations, made new fastpasses, changed flights, etc)) Then, unbelievable as it sounds, the day before WDW announced they were canceling June reservations I had a weird hunch and moved us to August 11-18. Still at the yacht club but without our AP rate. I just had a feeling June wasn’t going to happen.

So it seems Disney might offer us a discount on our August room? From what I’m reading here on the DIS. We didn’t have a free dining offer or discount. So it would be nice to save some on the room. But my AP has never been used so I don’t know if I want to break it in for one week in August knowing that it might be the only chance I’ll have to use it. Talk about wasted money. :(

The kids also have APs but they used theirs in January so they’ll take the extension I guess? I don’t know.

My main concern right now is can we even get reservations for the park days we want. Otherwise there’s really no point in going. Also can I get a refund on an unused AP? I guess the airfare would just be lost.

Still just as confused and undecided after typing all this.

So it seems Disney might offer us a discount on our August room?
I haven’t read anything about Disney doing anything for those of us who lost our AP discounts. We lost our Visa Discount in March, then our AP discount for this next trip that got cancelled and our only option now is to rebook at rack rate.

No thanks. I accepted paying a higher rate once, but not about to pay rack rate this time. One can only put up with so much, and I’ve had my fill. The only thing I can do is email them and voice my complaints over the way they have handled this.

I have a late aug./september reservation with free ddp. We decided to not go mainly due to: masks all day in fl heat, plane issues (petri dish fears and possibly flights are fickle lately and can cancel on you most of the time) but we could drive i guess as an option, it doesn't feel like a 'fun' vacation or 'relaxing', and one of us always catches a cold on disney vacations and will we freak out wondering if we have covid and need to then get tested and worry the whole time there and returning.
Here's my question: i haven't cancelled yet. can i change the reservation to may , 2021? It seems the options are keep it or cancel. I don't see a 2021 option change with the new discount offer. I'm guessing not. ...

Yes I will be cancelling. I just saw an e-mail taking away our free dining which is a $2000 value for our family of 5. They offered 35% off our value rooms which is about $1100. With the potential for limited experiences, paying more for dining, concern of flying and the overall cost of the trip we will wait until next year and try again. We love Disney and we will be back.

Yep, Cancelling my AP. Called bank and told them not to let Disney take anymore monthly payments for it out of my account.

Last edited:
While we didn't have a reservation booked just yet, I had spent the past two years planning a family reunion for 21 people for Feb. 2021 that we have since decided to cancel. We're heartbroken, but there were many factors at play besides the announcement of the new restrictions at WDW, and so that announcement was the deciding factor for us to cancel. Even though we're still quite a few months out from our planned vacation, there were just too many what-ifs that made us uncomfortable continuing to plan for a trip that would most likely be a lackluster experience.

with the restrictions (masks, distancing), postponements of entertainment, reservation system for parks, capacity limits for restaurants, etc is canceling your summer, fall trips on the table
Early September...and hanging on by a thread. Holding out to see how July into August looks.....but the big decision is if Food and Wine is cancelled. Seems like an easy cancellation but I'm holding out hope that with it being outdoors in the most spaciest park that it might still happen.....but not looking good!

We have an October trip scheduled (which is the 4th reschedule so far). The only thing for sure that will make me cancel is if they are still requiring masks. That’s a big no for me.

If we cancel that trip, we will put that money toward our big November 2021 Beach Club trip we have planned.

(We recently found out Six Flags will be requiring masks when they open 🤣. Good luck with that in Texas during the summer. They are begging for people to get heat strokes.)

We're booked for the first week in December, so we've still got some wiggle room to see if things shift a bit, but right now the odds of us cancelling are steadily increasing. We were prepared to deal with masks, temp checks and such. But no more dining reservations or dining plan is a BIG blow for us. A lot of our WDW experience is about the food (And paying a flat rate up front so we don't even have to glance at menu prices)

Have reservations for December 2020 and January 2021. Unless things are back to normal, and by normal I mean operating the way they were pre-hysteria, I will be cancelling.

I'm not sure what WDW's strategy is, but the feel good measures they intend to implement will destroy the entire experience.

Who would pay anything for that, let alone, the premium that Disney charges?

Someone in another thread hinted that Disney may be trying to make going to WDW so miserable to start with that people cancel their trips on their own. Obviously they are succeeding based on your anecdotal response from the CM you spoke to when you cancelled your trip.

This would honestly not shock me all that much. There was word floating around previously about plans for an opening in August. This is PURELY speculation, but Universal announcing their quick reopening may have forced Disney's hand. So, open the parks to keep the shareholders at bay, but quietly try to discourage attendance in order to avoid "SECOND WAVE OF CORONA AT DISNEY!" headlines.

We are cancelling our October trip. I am holding on to our room-only reservation for now, but Disney did remove some of our dining reservations last night. I knew it was coming, but still difficult to see in MDE. Interesting note...they removed all my resort ADR's, but the park ones remain. We are stuck with our airline tickets (that was a whole other thread), so have been searching for a resort in the Orlando area to just relax at for the week. Thankfully, had not purchased our park tickets or MNSSHP tickets yet!

We are cancelling out August 2020 trip, as much as I so want to go it just isn’t worth the cost with no parades, no fireworks, no character dining, limited hours, etc. At this point I am thinking that only solution for Disney to get back to normal might be a vaccine, with that said I am still holding out hope for a thanksgiving or Xmas if those times become available but it’s so hard to plan travel with all the unknowns.

We are cancelling our October trip. I am holding on to our room-only reservation for now, but Disney did remove some of our dining reservations last night. I knew it was coming, but still difficult to see in MDE. Interesting note...they removed all my resort ADR's, but the park ones remain. We are stuck with our airline tickets (that was a whole other thread), so have been searching for a resort in the Orlando area to just relax at for the week. Thankfully, had not purchased our park tickets or MNSSHP tickets yet!
Same for us. We're going to be in Orlando regardless, because we're also going to be looking at some properties. If we end up cancelling Disney entirely, I'll likely take the money and either use it to splurge on a luxury place for that week, or we'll get a more reasonable hotel and enjoy a sleeper car trip on Amtrak from DC

Canceled our late August trip. Not spending thousands for the limited experience and uncertainties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter