Anyone but me seem to think its Silly to blame Vloggers/Magic Key Holders for issues at the Park?

I got curious and looked at his Instagram. I guess I didn't realize this has been a thing with "his porch" (what he calls it on Instagram) since at least early 2017, seems like the following didn't grow until after the pandemic closure? I didn't recall the porch always being occupied until DL reopened.

Does anyone remember the Disneyland "gangs"? They would show up and wear biker-esque outfits with patches on them. It just reminds me a lot of that. I feel like such a grouch, but it honestly is frustrating to have one part of the park only usable by a single influencer. I don't really care about other vloggers or influencers, because they usually walk around and don't occupy a single area for long periods. With the porch, it's kind of a monopoly on who gets to use it when he/they show up early and stay long periods. I just wish other people had a chance to use that area of the park.
Then you need to go at rope drop every single day and beat him to it! Show him who’s boss!!!

Frank takes up one spot on the bench and he only goes in the morning. He's happy to share the bench.

I do understand the frustration, but realistically, how much time do most people want to spend sitting on the porch, especially in the morning? I guess I kind of admire an old guy with so many health issues who has found pleasure in going to DL every morning and connecting with people. My friend and I enjoy sitting next to him for a little bit on our way in.

Edited to add that there are several videos and interviews etc with Frank if you google things like "porch potato frank" or "Disneyland's porch potatoes"

Last edited:
Love HeadsUp - my kids actually ask to play it in between rides. Lol

I unfortunately have far too many… the offenders usually around the opening of a season/decor/party. It’s why I now avoid opening weekends. I’ve seen Influencers with backpack “suitcases” with multiple changes of clothes for themselves (and their kids) hogging a walkway or opening to a land (ahem: toon town, carsland) with what amounts to a professional photog kit/session, others reviewing multiple food items (LOUDLY) only to toss the food item after one bite (one influencer I followed even admitted to only eating a bite of each item then tossing them), and truly just the entitlement of any guest, but more often than not the cloggers and instupiders (my terms, my bias clearly showing) who seem to believe their content is more important than other guests’ experience. The worst, for me as a mom is seeing the kids being paraded about for content when they just want to ride the rides or watch the show like a kid (yes, I’ve witnessed this as well.)

For me, it comes down to intent. I have zero qualms with anyone posing for pics, or taking every angle of their food, or doing a silly meme, if they are doing it for the JOY of doing it. And yes, you can tell the difference. When things are done for content alone i feel they should be relegated to media previews. We love our go pro, but wouldn’t it be great if when a new ride came out all the vloggers were able to record it without having a camera in everyone else’s face??? I am a super laid back person, heck I’ve even held a camera for someone doing a tik tok so it wouldn’t fall off the light post, and will happily take multiple photos to help a stranger get the right shot, so if i’m saying this it’s gotta be bad. Lol

Aside: I found guest behaviour on my recent WDW trip to be *far* *far* *far* worse than anything at Disneyland. I’ll take these cloggers and what-not any day over that zoo! ;)
This is one thing I’m worried about going to wdw. I can’t handle the touristy types that I see at USH so much that I have no plans to return. WDW seems more touristy.

I'm annoyed by people that come every day or almost every day and take up key places of the park.
We have those in Disneyland Paris as well. Like California, lots of locals, especially on the weekend.

The previous and current hub show allows for characters and dancers to say hi to guests, give a hug, a high five and then continue with their dance routine. We have locals (people in their 20-30s) who come in, sit themselves down 2 hours before the first show on the best spots and stay there. And because they are Disneybounding, know all the dance steps and lyrics, characters and dancers flock to them.

I am an AP holder and come often enough to plan around it. Sometimes I am lucky or when I am there during the week. But I do think it's sad that one day guests basically have no chance at getting the best spots. There are only 20 spots that can almost guarantee you some character attention.

We have locals (people in their 20-30s) who come in, sit themselves down 2 hours before the first show on the best spots and stay there.
At Disneyland, there are many people (both local and non local) that claim seats two hours before shows.

At Disneyland, there are many people (both local and non local) that claim seats two hours before shows.
There are only 20 seats good seats, in this case.
It also causes a lot of congestion, as they block the entrance and exit to the hub square.

Last edited:

There are only 20 seats good seats, in this case.
It also causes a lot of congestion, as they block the entrance and exit to the hub square.
Wow, I can't imagine what would happen if there were only 20 good seats for a show at Disneyland. People lined up for hours to get a good seat for Rogers the Musical. They pay a premium for a meal and then line up and wait for hours to get a good seat for Fantasmic or WOC.

The congestion is on DLP. If they know they only have 20 good seats, and they allow people to line up early, they should rope them off or create space for others to get around them.

Wow, I can't imagine what would happen if there were only 20 good seats for a show at Disneyland. People lined up for hours to get a good seat for Rogers the Musical. They pay a premium for a meal and then line up and wait for hours to get a good seat for Fantasmic or WOC.

The congestion is on DLP. If they know they only have 20 good seats, and they allow people to line up early, they should rope them off or create space for others to get around them.
Oh you are so right, DLP is terrible at crowd control when it comes to the hub show. What does help is that there are about 4 shows a day.

For this show there are lines on the ground to indicate for guests where to stand, the red and orange lines. The green dots are the places where the dancers/characters will come by. You have stay behind these lines as during the show. You can stand in the middle, you cannot stand there where there are green dots. Or on the street.

Locals, AP holders, frequent visitors know this. First time guests, do not. And only 5-15 minutes before the show starts, CMs start to move around the people who are standing where they cannot stand. There are always several people who sometimes wait in a place where they cannot stand for half an hour.
By then it is almost impossible to find a decent new place to stand, especially if you are a family with young kids.

For the congestion. The best places for character interaction, are behind the red lines, on the inside of the hub. This will almost guarantee you attention from the characters and dancers. When you are Disneybounding your chances increase. The more often you are standing there, let's say every weekend, the dancers will start to recognize you. If they recognize you, the higher the chance that you will get attention.

You can stand behind the orange lines to get some character/dancer interaction, but chances are a lot less because they run by to get to the stages.

Anyway, in the hours before the show start, the fans stand behind the red lines and sit down (weather permitted)
Meanwhile, day guests will follow the blue line, coming from Main Street, crossing the hub to take a picture and walk towards the castle. Walking through a sitting crowd with a wheelchair or stroller is not easy.
Plus people also want to go from the castle, back to Main Street.

So, they have to look for a little gap between the sitting crowd to get to where you want to be. Yes, usually there is a decent person who will stand up and move back and forth to create a pathway. But it would be much easier if CMs were better at crowd control.

map2.png

This is one thing I’m worried about going to wdw. I can’t handle the touristy types that I see at USH so much that I have no plans to return. WDW seems more touristy.
The main thing I witnessed as being heightened at WDW it felt like there was way more FOMO and do-it-all touring style. Even I felt it and had to tell myself I could skip some things. Especially with the matching-shirts-for-their-entire-party crowd. I can not imagine the pressure the people planning those multigenerational or multi family trips have. I am sure for some (or some in their party) this is likely the only trip they will ever take. Pick your priorities and put those blinders on as much as possible and have a great trip!

The main thing I witnessed as being heightened at WDW it felt like there was way more FOMO and do-it-all touring style. Even I felt it and had to tell myself I could skip some things. Especially with the matching-shirts-for-their-entire-party crowd. I can not imagine the pressure the people planning those multigenerational or multi family trips have. I am sure for some (or some in their party) this is likely the only trip they will ever take. Pick your priorities and put those blinders on as much as possible and have a great trip!
I agree, I think WDW is much more of a destination. Families can easily plan 1-2 week trips there, and like you said, for some it's a once in a lifetime vacation.

I was at the park on Saturday and the seats on the porch were full, but I didn't see the man discussed in this thread.

The rain kept the pin traders away. These are the tables that are set up for them to use for trading.

1712032281103.png

There is almost no way to "do it all" at WDW! There is so much, even a lot of little things at the resorts, like the Yeeha Bob show or Hoop-de-Doo. I feel like that mindset will set you up for failure.

I see less of that at WDW, so it's definitely a local thing.

This. Whether it's locals visiting or the local CMs, WDW seems to be more of the "bubble of magic" because people come from everywhere to visit, and people move from all over the world to work there. And ...it could be more of a Southern thing where folks are simply more respectful than us Californians.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter