Anyone bought military base tickets?

If you are not active duty or retired with an id, you are not eligible to purchase military tickets. Just being a vet does not qualify.

For the Military Salute tickets, a good rule of thumb is that you have to hold an active duty or retired ID card. If you don't have that type of ID card, you can't buy them. Sadly, last fall they were letting civil servants and contractors purchase those tickets, but not anymore

For Magic Your Way, a good rule of thumb is that if you can get on base, you can purchase those tickets. Which means anyone with an active duty, guard, reserve, retired miltary ID, DoD Civil Service or a DoD contractor. I've purchased MYW tickets while I was a DoD contractor years ago from both the ITT office and SoG, as while as when I was a DoD civil servant.

My father is a vet from the Vietnam war and he does not qualify. He is not active. My dad is also a retired homicide detective for 38 years....

I think Disney offers discounts to active duty to allow them the opportunity to vacation with their family and to be able to afford it a little more. At a certain point, you have to draw the line because there are many that deserve respect for being vets, police officers, doctors etc..

Thank you DLgal for the information! It appears that your tickets were good for more than that current year! I do not mind paying for the price difference in tickets if we couldn't go in December. I just wanted to know exactly what we were getting into.

I am going to call SOG and ask exactly. I will let everyone know.

My father in law was retired military. He passed a year ago but my mother in law still has base access and an ID. If she was to go to Disney with us would she be able to buy the military tickets?

My father in law was retired military. He passed a year ago but my mother in law still has base access and an ID. If she was to go to Disney with us would she be able to buy the military tickets?

I pulled this from the TouringPlans website: 1. Who Is Eligible? – Any active duty or retired Service member, National Guardsman, Reservist, or Coast Guardsman is eligible. Foreign military assigned to U.S. military bases (with a U.S. ID card) in the United States are eligible, as are 100% disabled members with an ID card that says “DAV/PRIM”. Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS), and the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are also eligible. If the eligible member is not present, their spouse (or unremarried widow) is eligible. Even within these rules there are complicated situations, so call Disney (or ask in the comments section below) if you still have questions.

https://touringplans.com/blog/2018/...tions-about-disneys-military-salute-for-2019/ Here's the link to the website if you'd like to read more

I bolded what I believe applies to your mother in law. Hope this helps. Please call to be absolutely sure.

Based on that little bit of info, she probably can buy them. Shades of Green actually has sample photos of the eligible ID cards in their "Handy Guide" hyperlink on this page: https://www.shadesofgreen.org/experiences/tours

Here is the link from the page above. As a widow hers would be the fourth one down. Also, have her check her expiration date. If she doesn't go to the base often or use it for medical (as an insurance card), she may have let it expire and may need to get a new one.
https://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Your Mother-In-Law would also be eligible to reserve THREE rooms at Shades of Green.

- - - - - - - -
Former and/or Surviving Spouses and Family Members:
Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while in retired status
ID is DD Form 1173 or 1173-1

Last edited:
My father was just classified as 100% disabled. I was looking into this and cannot believe the prices. I am so happy they do this for people.

My father was just classified as 100% disabled. I was looking into this and cannot believe the prices. I am so happy they do this for people.
Make sure your Father gets his ID card updated and coded correctly . If he does not have DAV/PRIM listed he will not be eligible.

Make sure your Father gets his ID card updated and coded correctly . If he does not have DAV/PRIM listed he will not be eligible.

Thanks. He hasn't gone yet to get his new ID. But I will make sure he get's the right thing listed. I am one of his caregivers, so I have been trying to gather all the info I can. It has been a very long process. We had a few very rough years (actually over a decade).

Yes. Widows or widowers of retired service members retain all benefits they had while the service member was alive as long as they keep their ID active and non-expired, and as long as they don’t remarry. Once they remarry, all former privileges are lost.

We have only ever used the Salute tickets, but there may be a situation next year where we visit for only 1-day. So now I am wondering what tickets to buy and when to buy them. Would be visiting in January, so if tickets expire in December that’s a big deal for us. If anyone has the answer or finds it, please let me know!

I purchased salute tickets at Ft Belvoir yesterday and asked about the other tickets while I was there. The other discounted tickets they are selling expire in December 2030.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter