Anyone been to WDW after coming off chemo?

jennymouse

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe
The folks here were so helpful when I took my 80yo Dad to WDW for the first time that I'm back needing more advice. (Dad & I are getting ready to take our third trip in three weeks he loves it so much.)

A friend from work was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple months ago and is now going through chemo. She's 34 years old with a 4yo daughter and they've never been to WDW although she and her DH have been wanting to for a long time. Anyway, I'm giving them a studio at BCV with my DVC points and helping them plan a trip in May. They'll need and deserve a magical trip after all they're going through right now.:wizard: Plus, reading all the guide books and making plans is giving them something to look forward to and a good distraction right now.

When I made the studio reservations she thought her chemo was going to be over late February, but she's going to be having more than she thought so the trip is planned for 3 weeks after her last one. I offered to reschedule so she'd have more time to recoup, but since she feels pretty good the week after the chemo week she thinks she'll be feeling well enough to go by the third week. She's even been able to come to work the week after the chemo week. So far.

I guess my questions for those who have been in the same situation or know someone who has been to the World after chemo are:

1. Do you think she'll really be ready to go the third week after or should I encourage her to bump it back a few weeks?

2. How do you think her stamina will be? Should I get her a ECV for the week?

3. Would Disney's Special Services be of any use to her or are they mostly there to insure that accessible rooms are given to ones who need it? I don't think she'll need an accessible room, do you?

4. Since they are a young family and she's been missing work frequently, money is tight for them right now. I'm hoping we'll be able to take up a collection at work to help with expenses, but I was wondering if there were any programs out there that I'm not aware of that would help with tickets, etc.?

5. Is there anything that I'm not thinking about that would make the week easier for her or bring special magic?

Thanks in advance for your thought and ideas!:grouphug:

Her doctor should know the answer to "is it too soon"? I took my sister after her chemo and she did fine, but we took it easy.

I think an ECV wouldn't hurt, certainly.

As long as she has tended to bounce back more than a week after a treatment she should be OK.

However, I defintely feel that she should get an ECV from an off-site company or else she would become extremely tired out (which clearly is not good for her).

There should not be any need to go through Special Services since she would not have need for an accessible room.

Thanks for the replies. I'll get her an ECV for the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter