Anyone been to Turtle bay recently

aulanidreamer

Mouseketeer
We currently have a reservation for Apri and are planning a split stay between Aulani and somewhere on the other side of the island. We have a reservation at an area hotel, but am looking more for a condo or something a little bigger than a regular hotel room since we likely won't be touring as much as usual and spending more time at our accommodation and the beach. I see several condo's in the Turtle Bay Resort open but none specify for sure what it open and closed as far as resort beach access, bars, restaurants, tennis courts, or even if the pools on the listing are actually open. I know a lot of the touristy stuff will be closed or lower capacity but want to know what we might have access to up in that area. Thanks for any input you may have. We have delayed this trip from last April, to Dec 2020 and then delayed again to April 2021. I am not sure if Delta will let us push it much further without losing our flight voucher, so we are leaning toward trying to make it work if things seem to stay stable the next month or so.

When I lived on Oahu (which was 20+ years ago), the area around Turtle Bay was, and is, pretty remote. There isn’t a lot close by, and that area outside the resort is very high crime. Our friends lived in Hauula, and they moved on base as the wife was always concerned about crime, especially to haule’s (whites). Our car was broken into at the Polynesian Cultural Center (which is very common; do not ever leave anything in your car, and especially don’t put anything in the trunk once you park).

If you want a condo, have you looked into renting at the Marriott Ko Olina? That’s where we own now. We’ve started some trips with a day or five in Waikiki, although now I’m averse to big city type things as I get older. There are lots of options in Waikiki, though, as far as hotels, and some can be quite reasonable.

We don‘t find the drive for sightseeing objectionable from Ko Olina honestly. We always go back to the Kailua area to visit places we used to go once per visit (we go every other year since 2004). Oh, I saw you just mostly want to enjoy the beach. I’d say to look at the Marriott condos. Not as many in Waikiki, but there is a new (new-ish to me) Embassy Suites in Waikiki that offers more space (if they’re open; not sure what is currently).

We’re waiting until late fall to return, but I do hope things get better so you can enjoy your trip!

When I lived on Oahu (which was 20+ years ago), the area around Turtle Bay was, and is, pretty remote. There isn’t a lot close by, and that area outside the resort is very high crime. Our friends lived in Hauula, and they moved on base as the wife was always concerned about crime, especially to haule’s (whites). Our car was broken into at the Polynesian Cultural Center (which is very common; do not ever leave anything in your car, and especially don’t put anything in the trunk once you park).

If you want a condo, have you looked into renting at the Marriott Ko Olina? That’s where we own now. We’ve started some trips with a day or five in Waikiki, although now I’m averse to big city type things as I get older. There are lots of options in Waikiki, though, as far as hotels, and some can be quite reasonable.

We don‘t find the drive for sightseeing objectionable from Ko Olina honestly. We always go back to the Kailua area to visit places we used to go once per visit (we go every other year since 2004). Oh, I saw you just mostly want to enjoy the beach. I’d say to look at the Marriott condos. Not as many in Waikiki, but there is a new (new-ish to me) Embassy Suites in Waikiki that offers more space (if they’re open; not sure what is currently).

We’re waiting until late fall to return, but I do hope things get better so you can enjoy your trip!

We will be in Ko Olina for 7 nights at Aulani already so we’re looking for something on the other side. Our original plan was Maui for 4 nights before Aulani, but it seems better to keep it to one island during this time. Waikiki is definitely an option, but we’re hoping for something less busy. It’s good to know some areas are higher crime, I know petty theft has always been an issue in tourist areas and I’m sure that the pandemic has made people even more desperate. Thanks for the insight.

If you're spending part of the trip at Aulani, I would want to stay somewhere that is in a different area to experience different things. Turtle Bay is North Shore area which is an easy drive from Aulani, and the resort is similar to Aulani in terms of resort style amenities. I've not researched condo rentals and I know there's certain considerations with Airbnb style rentals, but I might suggest looking in the Kailua area for a different experience, which is truly on the other side of the island from Aulani. Kailua also had the most beautiful beaches we saw during our time in Hawaii.

Alternatively, we loved doing a split stay in Waikiki. We didn't need a car, everything was walkable, and we could do organized bus tours to some of the tourist spots that were not as easy to do on our own (Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor). There's also a trolley and easy access to taxis/rideshare. When/if we return, we'd spend 2-3 nights in Waikiki again to experience things in this area, and then spend the rest of our time in Aulani with a rental car and do any other touring from there.

FWIW my TA said the resort at turtle bay is closed until June for renovations. The privately rented condos would come with whatever is stated on the listing unless they are claiming resort amenities. In that case you’d have to clarify with the individual owner. Maybe they haven’t adjusted their rental listing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter