Anyone been to Glacier National Park?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Has anyone been to Glacier National Park? We just started talking about going sometime (not 2009, as our trip that year is planned). What can you tell me about it? I'm especially concerned about the "Going to the Sun" road. I have a real fear of heights, driving up Mount Washington really scared me! How does that shuttle bus system work? How far ahead should you make lodging reservations in the park? Does it get super-crowded in the summer? And does anyone have any good books/travel guides to recommend? Sorry for so many questions, but we're just beginning and I'm the designated family "trip-arranger".

I've been there a few times. Beautiful place and worth going to see as the glaciers are melting and won't be there for long.

Driving for me is not a problem over Going to the Sun Highway. I would research at www.nps.gov for Glacier Park. Also not to send you away from the DIS, but Tripadvisor.com has great info on their forums. Look for me, I'm casaazul

Enjoy planning.

:surfweb: :upsidedow :scared: :cool2:

I've been there a few times. Beautiful place and worth going to see as the glaciers are melting and won't be there for long.

Driving for me is not a problem over Going to the Sun Highway. I would research at www.nps.gov for Glacier Park. Also not to send you away from the DIS, but Tripadvisor.com has great info on their forums. Look for me, I'm casaazul

Enjoy planning.

:surfweb: :upsidedow :scared: :cool2:

Thanks so much! I'll check there for info.

I've been to Glacier several times. My mother's twin sister lives in Whitefish - just outside of the west entrance so we get lots of updates on the park as well. Be aware that the Going to the Sun road sometimes doesn't open until late June (and memory seems to make me think it's even gone to early July a couple of times) depending on the snow from the winter. I live in the Sierra NV mountains but I have to say Going to the Sun road can be a little nerve wracking in some spots if you're meeting an RV. It will probably be more comfortable going from East to West as you are more often on the uphill side in what I remember being the tight spots. Still - it's well worth the drive and I have many wonderful memories and pictures from there!

Since we have always stayed in Whitefish I'm afraid I can't help out with the lodging but it is limited so I would plan as far ahead as possible. One thing is that Glacier isn't as crowded as Yellowstone or Yosemite being it's a bit off the beaten track.

I'm hoping we can make a trip up there again this summer or next - it's just beautiful! :goodvibes

Be aware that the Going to the Sun road sometimes doesn't open until late June (and memory seems to make me think it's even gone to early July a couple of times) depending on the snow from the winter.

We visited July 9-11, 2007 and Going to the Sun Road had just opened. It also snowed at Saint Mary's Campground on our second day.

I live in the Sierra NV mountains but I have to say Going to the Sun road can be a little nerve wracking in some spots if you're meeting an RV. It will probably be more comfortable going from East to West as you are more often on the uphill side in what I remember being the tight spots. Still - it's well worth the drive and I have many wonderful memories and pictures from there!

I highly recommend driving east to west for the reasons mentioned. The park service has a shuttle bus that runs back and forth but am not formula with it. We traveled in a mini van and it was tight every time we met a SUV or camper. We were glad to be next to the mountain and not on the edge. And it is, as mentioned above, worth the trip!

I would research at www.nps.gov for Glacier Park. Enjoy planning.

We made our ressies a year in advance. Our campground was not too busy. The Many Glacier Lodge fills up very quickly and would recommend making your ressies asap using the above website. After one night stay, we had to move because a mother grizzly and her two cubs decided to camp out also in our camp ground. Those in a hard sided camping unit were able to stay. We were in a tent and was recommended highly to go to another camp ground. We ended up at the KOA in a kamper kabin next door. It ended up to be a good decission since it snowed.

When we visited, early July, many of the trails were still closed due to snow. My inlaws visited late August and was able to hike a great deal and visit many of the glaciers.

Have a great trip.

We went a few years back. I bought a book at the Disney's Wilderness Lodge called The Great Lodges of the National Parks. There were 4 of them from Glacier National Park/can't remember the name of the Park it ajoins in Canada. We spent one day at each lodge and then went up to Bnaff National Park in Canada. All the lodges were wonderful. I booked a year in advance and we had a wonderful time. The lodges were all built by the railroads and were Grand. The rooms were rather old but that only added to the charm... Over 4 years we stayed at every lodge in that book.. We are working on the "Castles of Canada" now:thumbsup2

If you go, I highly recommend the boat trip in the Medicine Lake area. The scenery is like out of some amazing fantasy. iIt is a small boat that takes hikers from one end and drops them off into a wilderness area where you can take one of a few hiking trails. Inquire in advance about getting on the boat.

All the lodges are beautiful, but the main lodge at East Glacier (just outside the park) is the famous one, built with the enormous timbers. It is a MUST SEE, even if you don't stay there. In fact, staying there is no big deal as the rooms are very small. But it is one of the great structures in America. Walking into the lobby is unforgettable.

We went quite a few years ago in June, it was too early. The lodge was open but there was a snow storm while we were there. The road was only open for a few miles and we really didnt get to see much. I would love to go again, but I would plan a little better, being from the south I just didnt realize it was still winter that late.

I worked in GNP when I was in college. It is spectacular. I agree with the suggestion to do Going to the Sun from East to West. Must see's include Many Glacier, East Glacier, Lake McDonald and go up to Waterton Lakes which adjoins Glacier in Canada. The Prince of Wales Hotel is simply grand!

Enjoy yourselves. BTW take raingear. They get a lot of rain in Glacier, especially on the west side. It's easier to enjoy your self when you stay dry.

Prince of Wales
63688299.e8s2Ruyg.jpg

Many Glacier
482181533_d9af4db703.jpg

St Mary's
02GLA-17-20-St-Mary-Lake.jpg

I live about 20 minutes away from Glacier. :goodvibes
Anything i can do to help, or questions I can answer, just ask!

Going to the Sun never opens till June, and as some posters have said, last year it was July! We have a LOT of snow again this year, so I think at least late June will be a certainty again this year.

The Going to the Sun road does freak me out. I am afraid of heights as well, and there is no way I could drive it. My DH usually drives, and I spend most of the trip intently examining the dashboard of the van. If you can make yourself look, it is a gorgeous view. We don't do it that often. It has been under some pretty intense construction the last few years, sometimes completely closing one side or the other. If that happens, you can drive to the top on the side that is open, but then you have to turn around at the Visitor's Center at the top and go back down the way you came.

Usually the park is only VERY crowded around holidays. 4th of July, Labor Day, etc. It can be difficult to get a lodge reservation, and the campgrounds can fill up on July/August weekends, but a lot of that is locals! The towns of Columbia Falls, Whitefish, and Kalispell are all within half an hour drive from the West entrance, and all have very reasonable accomodations, if you don't mind staying outside the park.

Be aware that all bodies of water inside the park are galcier-fed or snow-melt fed, and stay VERY cold. They are NOT waters that you can swim in recreationally. We usually go into the parks a couple of times during the summer and have a picnic at Lake McDonald. The kids always wear their bathing suits and go splashing into the lake. They always come splashing RIGHT back out and spend the rest of the afternoon wading, catching minnows, skipping rocks and NOT swimming. Just too darn cold. Literally any part of your body submerged in the water starts to hurt after just a few minutes of immersion. The lakes are very beautiful though, crystal clear.

One thing my family loves, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is the Trail of the Cedars boardwalk, located near Apgar and Lake McDonald. This is a short, easy walk through some spectacular scenery. I will post a few pictures for you.

Finally, in NW Montana, summer season is also fire season. We tend to get rather bad wildfires in the mountains, and sometimes spend up to a month at a time in a nasty smoky haze. Last year wasn't bad at all, and this year probably won't be either - we have had lots of snow. But if our summers are hot and dry, fires usually start. The western parts of the park suffered from fires rather badly in previous years, and you can still see fire damage around lake McDonald and in the "back gate" area of the park, by the NorthFork river and Polebridge (north of Columbia Falls).

Feel free to ask, if you need any more help or info! Here's some pictures. :)
(Disclaimer: some of these pictures were taken by me, some by friends, some were "found" on the internet. Apologies to anyone whose pictures I may have used inadvertantly.)

Going to the Sun road
sunroad.jpg

Trail of the Cedars boardwalk
TrailOfCedars033_500.jpg

1306921989_6ed8cb8acc_b-1.jpg

(Not very good) picture of the Avalanche Gorge waterfall on the Trail of the Cedars - SPECTACULAR in real life!
DSCN2853.jpg

Picture along Lake McDonald in late 2007 - note haze from wildfires
DSCN2880.jpg

Lake McDonald - no fires :)
DSCN2894.jpg

We are interested in visiting Glacier. How many days should we plan to be there?
We are thinking about doing Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier in one trip.

We are interested in visiting Glacier. How many days should we plan to be there?
We are thinking about doing Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier in one trip.

How long you need to stay really depends on how much you want to do.

If you just want to hit the "tourist" highlights (Going to the Sun, etc) then you can probably see everything you want to see in 2 days, weather permitting. If you want to do more back-country hiking then you will need much longer.

If you have never been to Yellowstone, it requires much more time to see then Glacier. I would recommend a minimum of 3 days in Yellowstone. I would also recommend taking a day in Cody, WY (just outside of Yellowstone). There's a lot of really neat things to do and see there... in particular the Buffalo Bill historical center.

Driving time from Yellowstone to Glacier is about 8-10 hours. Almost too long for one day's drive, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter