• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody stay at all 3 resorts and can give me feedback?

For little kids imo the slide at PPh is great because it doesn’t come out in a pool. Feels safer.
To clarify, there are 3 slides at the DLH pools. 2 exit into inches of water, while the 3rd drops into a 4 foot pool. All Disney pools offer life jackets for anyone (I have seen adults with them on.)

I like all 3 DL resorts and have stayed at each 4-6X. PP is nice because price is less, and the upper floor park view rooms are GREAT. I love looking at Carsland all night long. It is slightly less awesome since the stopped allowing PP guests to cross the street to enter DD or DCA thru the GC lobby. Pool not great, but adequate.

DL Hotel is so lovely and interesting. Love those headboards and the monorail pool! (However the old Peter Pan pool was in some ways more interesting). The lobbies of each building are something to explore. Great displays, models of the rides from Imagineering, for example. Trader Sams! Nice to have a short walk after spending a fun night there. Goofy's Kitchen too. You need to walk the entire length of DD to and from the parks, or use the monorail to/from DL Tomorrowland at times to save steps.

GC is of course the best location. I cannot wait to see the new construction finished out by the pool and the QS location reopened. I usually stay there via a DVC reservation, but have also stayed in the main resort hotel a few times. There is no downside to GC except the prices!

I like all 3 very much.

Just my humble opinion, but don't waste your money on PPH. If you can afford to stay at GC or DLH, go for it, but PPH is nothing special and not even close to worth the extra cost. The Disney bubble is far less of a thing in Anaheim. For the money you can find better accommodations across the street, some of which are actually a shorter walk. We never stay on site at Disneyland because the extra cost just doesn't justify it whereas there are real benefits to staying on site at DisneyWorld. Personally, if GC or DLH aren't an option, I'd go with Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance. It's much newer and almost certainly less expensive than PPH. It's also a shorter walk to the esplanade.

If you want more thoughts, check out Disneytouristblog. Can't go wrong with advice from Tom! He has a Disneyland area hotel ranking article that includes on-site and off-site.

Last edited:
Have you been to Disneyland before?

I know it’s a special trip, but don’t discount staying “off site” which really isn’t a thing at Disneyland. There are so many good hotels across the street with shorter walks then the Disney hotels. The only privledge you would lose would be the early entry everyday. With 3 day tickets everyone gets it for one day.

I do want to stay on site someday, but for the extra money we spend in the park on special dinning packages, etc. just a thought.

That being said- I’d pick Disneyland hotel. That’s my dream to do someday.

We have stayed at all three and prefer GCH. Can't beat the location, especially when the family ends the day with riding Grizzly Rapids 6 times in a row (then squeaks back to the room). My bad hip loves how close the walk is back to the room. Whitewater Snacks is a great place to grab a snack or a meal. We enjoy sending purchases to the room instead of putting them in a locker, or carrying them around.

So many great reviews! We’ve stayed at all three properties multiple times. If I had to rank them it would be GCH followed very closely by DLH with PPH easily bringing up the rear. I think PPH is great when you can get a good deal. The theming is fun and the pool can be a great diversion for kids. I wouldn’t choose it for a special or once in a lifetime trip though. I would choose one of the newer neighboring hotels over it for a little better price.

The other two have it all with GCH winning the proximity challenge. Both have great hang out locales. DLH is quintessential Disney and truly gives you magic. GCH gives you such a well-done woodsy California feel. Whichever one you choose, be sure to visit the other. Make sure you enjoy the grounds, amenities and restaurants/lounges - they’re part of the package you’re paying for. Work it into your schedule.

The Fairytale Suite is the least expensive of the signature suites, but only two people are allowed. From my recent booking experience, the rates will be approximately $1000-1400 per night. Quite the birthday/anniversary gift for one night of your trip if you can do it! The amenities included make it worth it.

Thank you SO much everybody!!

Still holding out hope that our DVC rental may come through. But as a backup plan we have booked our stay at DLH. We did move our dates up a week, as historically there has been a room discount for Sun-Thurs. stays that ended the last Thursday of the month. So with the thought of that being a possibility again, we've booked there.

I've moved our DVC dates up to that as well, so we can now book the rest of our California trip and not have to worry about shifting absolutely everything if DVC comes through.

It's 9 months away - but I'm still so excited!!

Just my humble opinion, but don't waste your money on PPH. If you can afford to stay at GC or DLH, go for it, but PPH is nothing special and not even close to worth the extra cost.

So I'll counter your humble opinion with my own--I love the PPH and feel it is absolutely worth the Disney premium pricing, while the DLH is the "waste of money". The much-vaunted theming amounts to mouse-handled sink faucets and a light-up headboard that plays music so creepy it should be in the Haunted Mansion. Otherwise it qualifies as a low-end suburban Hilton at best in terms of quality, amenities, and staff attitude.

Again, it's a humble opinion, but I tell folks to stay at either the GCH or PPH and to avoid staying at the DLH every day and twice on Sundays.

I've had the opportunity to stay at all 3 resorts multiple times and my favorite by far was the Disneyland Hotel. The rooms are very spacious and more have more of a "Disney theme" compared to the Grand and Paradise Pier. While the Grand has a beautiful lobby and pool, the rooms are very minimal and generic. However, if you are concerned about walking distance from the parks I would go with the Grand. If you want more of a Disney feel, go with the Disneyland Hotel. The Pier is a great choice but it is a bit far from the parks.

We’ve stayed at all 3 multiple times. PPH is our go to for the price. GCH when we get a deal. DLH less frequently, picked it when GCH was under construction. We have young kids and take afternoon breaks. We are in our room a lot so take advantage of our room. The walk doesn’t bother me. GCH obviously can’t be beat in that department

We return to our room early and love the park view of PPH. Yes it’s a typical room. But it’s consistent and spacious. I’ve watched the fireworks and world of color from our room

DLH: depends on the tower. I was disappointed with our first stay. Tiny bathroom and closet. Dark room. Loved our second stay. Spacious bathroom. Great location.

GCH: mixed experiences. Most rooms are small and dark. Depends on what wing you are in. Our last visit with the newly renovated room was slightly disappointing. But I do like staying there. But I kept thinking how it definitely wasn’t worth the full $500+/night. Our favorite stay was a free park view upgrade. The bunk beds helped the room size.

Amenities and room features: this has always been inconsistent. At one point, GCH had different toiletries (we also got foot lotion, sun burn gel) Now it’s all the same. PPH offered 2 large bottles of water, GCH did not. I always wonder if it’s just housekeeping. There were more options for room service at PPH then GCH. It used to be the same but GCH tasting a little better but pricier.

We run into characters at PPH without any wait. Longer interaction. I honestly thought they were just walking by and wasn’t going to intrude on their break time. But they approached us. It was a nice unplanned surprise

Last October, the hotels decorated for Halloween. Which is fun. But everyone has access.

We have never stayed at PPH, so I can’t compare it.

DLH is our family’s favorite even though we own at VGC. We love the ambiance/theming at the DLH. My kids prefer the pools and all the dining options as well. The pool area is beautiful at night, so having a pool view from the room is great. Our favorite tower is the Adventure tower! We don’t mind walking through DTD, and the monorail into DL is great if it’s running.

Don’t get me wrong, we also enjoy VGC or we wouldn’t own there. The convenience to DCA is amazing of course! But if picking between the two, we’d all choose DLH! Enjoy your celebration wherever you stay! October is so fun at DLR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter