Anybody remember WDW in the 1970s?

disneyworldaddict

Mouseketeer
As a child in the 70s my parents took me to WDW. If I remember correctly, there was no admission, but you had to purchase a ticket book for attractions. Tickets had a value, the E ticket being the best. I also remember a free attraction from Eastern Airlines that was pretty cool. I remember Disney was so much different than any park I'd ever been to. To me, its still different than the rest, but so many have attempted to copy it. Back then it was completely unique. I'd love to hear other peoples opinions or memories.

As a child in the 70s my parents took me to WDW. If I remember correctly, there was no admission, but you had to purchase a ticket book for attractions. Tickets had a value, the E ticket being the best. I also remember a free attraction from Eastern Airlines that was pretty cool. I remember Disney was so much different than any park I'd ever been to. To me, its still different than the rest, but so many have attempted to copy it. Back then it was completely unique. I'd love to hear other peoples opinions or memories.

I still have one of the "E" tickets. Found it in one of our drawers recently.

Both DH & I were children in the 70s, although he remembers the parks better than I do... we have lots of pictures of the parades and some of the attractions. We used to have a few of the ride tickets, but I think one of my brothers took them.

My dad recently found video, which had been transfered from Super 8 film, of a family vacation in the 70s. Weirdly, the thing that I remember the most from these early trips to the park was the rental strollers.

I remember seeing topiaries outside the MK, like on the road there or something!

I also remember River Country, and I remember Fort Wilderness being a lot more rugged than it is now.

The first time we went to Disney was around 1975. It was a trip with myself, my sister, our parents and both sets of our grandparents. We stayed offsite. I can remember going to River Country, although, I don't have any pictures of it. Here are some pictures from that trip:

family70s.jpg

WDW1970S.jpg

Mickey70s.jpg

My family went in the 70's and stayed at the Contemporary. I thought Tom Sawyer Island was so huge. I remember eating lunch everyday and taking the Monorail to the parks.

We lived in florida in the 70's and went to WDW often. Ft. Wilderness had RV's that you could rent- furnished down to Mickey Mouse decorated silverware and plates. The Eastern Airlines Ride was called "If you had wings" and I can still hear that song in my head now!! Happy childhood memories!!
Ruth

The first time we went to Disney was around 1975. It was a trip with myself, my sister, our parents and both sets of our grandparents. We stayed offsite. I can remember going to River Country, although, I don't have any pictures of it. Here are some pictures from that trip:

family70s.jpg

WDW1970S.jpg

Mickey70s.jpg

Great pics! I have some like this, too. I'll have to dig them out and get my DD to post them for me.

look at this site. It has some great stuff

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/index.htm

Kae

Thanks, that site is great. Now I can show my DD the WDW i went to as a child.

20,000 was one of my favorites as a child, I wish they could bring it back. I also remember being scared on the Snow White ride. I told my DH that it was scary than the Haunted Mansion. When we went on it a few years ago he couldn't understand why I found it so scary. I didnt know they had changed it.

My parents lived in Orlando in the late 60's until 1972, then moved to Tampa. (I was born in 1973...then in 74 they moved to Atlanta - damn you cruel fate! :rotfl: )

Anyway, they remember the building of WDW and how it was pretty much the only thing anyone talked about. Nearly all their neighbors worked for Disney. My grandparents came down from GA for the opening and on opening day, my family couldn't even get out of their subdivision the area was so packed (off Orange Blossom Trail) so they gave up and went home and went several days later.

I went to WDW numerous times as a baby until we moved to GA. My first official trip that I recall was in 1978 - their first trip back to FL. I didn't go again until 2001 :eek: BUT...I've been 9 times since then! :)

Sadly, my parents have no pictures of the construction...

These are from my first trip to WDW in November 1975 -

(That's me in the red & white hat with my brother & sister)
WDW1975_3.jpg

Castle1975_2.jpg

Castle1975_1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter