Anybody have any ideas as to when Splash will close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said as Disney devolves into screen based rides perhaps those multidimensional skills are no longer needed, Just the ability to make something look good on a screen.

It’s really pointless to go back and forth with you on all of this because you think what you think and no one will convince you otherwise. But you’ll see that eventually Splash Mountain will change to Princess and the Frog, whether you want it to or not.

Also, one of Disney’s most recent rides to open is Rise of the Resistance, open less than 18 months. One of the most multidimensional rides ever created. It is far more than just making something look good on a screen. The ride (experience) has everything and is not like anything else. Plenty of “multidimensional skill” went into creating that experience.

Last edited:
It’s been some time since I watched it, but I don’t remember SotS having blatant racism. Have you seen it?

No, I have not seen it, and there's a reason it's unavailable to be seen on Disney Plus.

When Disney CEO Robert Iger was asked in 2010 if fans would ever see a Song of the South DVD, he called the movie “antiquated” and “fairly offensive,” and said there were no plans to make a DVD or Blu-ray.

Just How Racist Is Disney’s ‘Song of the South’?

It’s been some time since I watched it, but I don’t remember SotS having blatant racism. Have you seen it?

It's a more subtle form of racism based around ideas that minimized the African American experience. Now, it's pretty complex and I can totally see where some would think this is just fine. Is it possible that a freed slave would be perfectly happy continuing to live on a Georgia plantation? Sure, but is it likely? Did Walt Disney intend it to be offensive? Probably not and by all accounts he very much liked James Baskett and his wife and treated them well. He still held the premier in Atlanta though where they could not attend. There are many angles to look at. Personally, I don't like to see any movie censored as it removes the ability to have an honest conversation about it, but I also totally get whey Disney would not want the movie associated with their brand. When they made Splash Mountain in the 80's they were cognizant of the issues and deliberately avoided putting them into the ride, but does that make Splash Mountain perfectly fine? It depends who you ask, but the conversation is at least worth having.

While watching this alternative viewpoint of the Joel Chandler Harris's collections of stories, I hope that Splash Mountain does not change. The Brier Rabbit motif supports the idea of the traditional stories passing down messages of hope and strength.
This video titled "The Roots of Uncle Remus | Georgia Stories" puts the same type of stories into a different context. Considering Splash Mountain does not display any of the movie setting, the stories should be shared and celebrated. The worst thing we can do is ban all these rich and moral stories of Brer Rabbit from enlightening all of us.

While watching this alternative viewpoint of the Joel Chandler Harris's collections of stories, I hope that Splash Mountain does not change. The Brier Rabbit motif supports the idea of the traditional stories passing down messages of hope and strength.
This video titled "The Roots of Uncle Remus | Georgia Stories" puts the same type of stories into a different context. Considering Splash Mountain does not display any of the movie setting, the stories should be shared and celebrated. The worst thing we can do is ban all these rich and moral stories of Brer Rabbit from enlightening all of us.
Splash mountain is going to change. That is a given here.

Is it possible that a freed slave would be perfectly happy continuing to live on a Georgia plantation? Sure, but is it likely?

The answer is yes. This was not uncommon. The only people being unreasonable are the ones who want to pretend the movie portrays a happy freed slave living on a plantation as something that never happened. Unfortunately, they're now going to ruin a great ride to appease that crowd.

The answer is yes. This was not uncommon. The only people being unreasonable are the ones who want to pretend the movie portrays a happy freed slave living on a plantation as something that never happened. Unfortunately, they're now going to ruin a great ride to appease that crowd.

Well, one point that I will conceed is that happiness is really a state of mind and that people tend to project their own feelings toward things - like if they think that they wouldn't be happy in a given situation then they assume that nobody could be. That's certainly a fallacy. Still, I don't think that the situation as depicted in the movie was too common and at the very least the movie should have addressed it in some way. Instead it leaves a LOT out and oversimplifies the issues.

Last edited:

Eh. It's been a long time since any of us have seen it, and most probably never did. To be honest, I do not even recall HOW I saw it as a kid since Disney never released it to home video. However, I do remember seeing it at one point.

I am not one to scream about racism generally. I roll with the punches, so to speak. I also have been outspoken against hiding of changing history - like the change to PotC.

With that background, I understand why Disney does not release SotS. I do not recall there being DIRECT racism, but there is a lot of INDIRECT racism. At the very least, Brer Rabbit is not a character they want to exemplify (he was not a great social example).

I have it on my Plex server and have seen it about 3 or 4 times. My kids have seen it too. I explained to them the timeline it takes place and what the deal is on everyone's living quarters and that it has been sanitized/idealized. Anyone can watch it in full at archive.org. It has slow parts and Uncle Remus is the main redeeming and interesting character that makes the film watchable imo. His attitude about life and his wisdom is an example for the others around him. In that way it's a shame he has been hidden away.

But Disney has hidden it away for decades now, and the stigma will not be overcome at this point, especially since a huge majority of people today have never seen it and have only heard things about it. I don't think it can be brought back from that at this point.

I wish Tiana could get her own brand new ride instead of a re skin, but I think it should be obvious that Splash wouldn't be around forever, regardless of just how well done it is and the fact that it only focuses on the Brer animal characters. My hope is that they really go all in on the re theme and don't skimp on animatronics and theme. It certainly has big shoes to fill. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I sort of wish that after they re theme, they could release the film with some kind of explanatory introduction (didn't Whoopi offer to do that?) so that people could see Mr. Baskett and watch the film as a point in cinema history. But the ride will be gone so it wouldn't be seen as trying to justify or re popularize the ride. But I imagine that once the re theme is complete they will simply allow it to fall away.

At some point this thread was about the ride closing date right? Not arguing over the merits or the ride itself? Because I keep seeing new posts and clicking on it expecting someone is posting with an update but instead the train wreck keeps growing.

At some point this thread was about the ride closing date right? Not arguing over the merits or the ride itself? Because I keep seeing new posts and clicking on it expecting someone is posting with an update but instead the train wreck keeps growing.
Don’t worry, this thread will get closed down like the last one where it devolved in to arguing the merits of a film that Disney won’t release to the public.

Don’t worry, this thread will get closed down like the last one where it devolved in to arguing the merits of a film that Disney won’t release to the public.
Seriously. I check here every day for details of the closing date of my favorite ride just so I can see if I’m ever going to be able to ride it again and all I see are people arguing over a topic in which they will never change each other’s mind. If anyone hears any details on the closing date of the ride, please let me know! Lol

Seriously. I check here every day for details of the closing date of my favorite ride just so I can see if I’m ever going to be able to ride it again and all I see are people arguing over a topic in which they will never change each other’s mind. If anyone hears any details on the closing date of the ride, please let me know! Lol

I have been doing the same thing!! It is also my favorite ride and if we could get 1-2 more years that would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter