Any1 else stay at Disney and go to UO for 2 days?

MuchLovedMama

Mouseketeer
We're staying at AoA for a week in September and will be going to both IOA and US for a full day each. Just curious if other do this or is it too overwhelming? We will either rent a couple cars for 2 days or rent 2 of the Taxi vans since we are a party of 12. Feeling a little overwhelmed right now. Just curious if many others do this.

I have done exactly that for every trip I've ever taken to Disney World. It's a great idea and when on the DDP, it allows you to potentially take two days away from Disney so you could save some of your meal credits. Worked great for us this past January because Hoopdee & the Royal Table were two credits each, so factor in two days away from Disney and those two extra credits went to those meals.

We do this too. So excited we arrive at Disney on Saturday :yay: . Will probably go to Universal 2-3 days during the two weeks we are there. :banana: Did I say I was excited lol :rotfl:

Alot of people do that..I am doing the opposite.Staying at Universal and driving to Disney for 2 days.

We have done exactly that in the past. We normally stay at Disney for two weeks and visit UO/IOA on at least two occasions, maybe even three. Last October, though, we stayed at WDW for 7 nights and visited both Universal parks for a day each during that stay. This summer we are staying at Universal for our first four nights in Orlando so we can take things a little easier. In October, the heat and humidity is not as bad as the summer so we don't mind approaching the parks in more of a commando fashion.

Why are you feeling overwhelmed? Maybe we can help you figure out a plan of action.

I'm doing that this time. We plan to rent a car for a few days and do so early in our stay. One reason for this is that I want to hit up a Wal-Mart for drinks and snacks too. I also want to come and go from Universal at our own pace and not be stuck on a transport schedule.

I prefer to stay at Universal and drive to Disney but the mouse made me an offer I couldn't refuse this year. ;)

Why are you feeling overwhelmed? Maybe we can help you figure out a plan of action.

I think I'm feeling overwhelmed because we are only there for a week. We have 4 full days planned at Disney and the 2 full days at Universal. Our arrival day is only 1/2 a day at MK.

It's just so much to do crammed into that week. I keep feeling like are we even going to have swim time.

The biggest reason I'm feeling so overwhelmed is the whole transportation thing getting from Disney to UO and back. I've done plenty of research and read the sticky thread at the top and the option I likes is getting 2 of the taxi vans that hold 7 people each and split it among our 3 families of 4. The taxi estimator says it'll probably be around $70 per van per day so I estimate that to be about $90 per family total for the 2 days combined. Then I start worrying about the taxi ride taking longer than I planned on and the rates quickly calculating to more thatn expected.

Renting 2 cars (which only seat 5 meaning a kid would have to sit on somebodys lap in the back seat) would be about $40 per car per day + $15 parking per day at UO + gas. So about $220 + gas would prob be around $80 per family. A little cheaper but then there's the hassle of picking up the car and dropping the car off by a certain time so that you can get a ride back to your resort. Some of the people have AAA and I've read you can stack codes with Alamo who is the car care center place so this option may be a bit cheaper but just seems like a lot of work.

I don't know I overthink and stress about things too much so it's nothing that can be solved but was just wondering if many others went through this as well. Haven't been to UO since befor IOA was even open so it's been a long long time. Looking forward to going again finally especially since we are such big Harry Potter fans.

I think I'm feeling overwhelmed because we are only there for a week. We have 4 full days planned at Disney and the 2 full days at Universal. Our arrival day is only 1/2 a day at MK.

I don't know I overthink and stress about things too much so it's nothing that can be solved but was just wondering if many others went through this as well. Haven't been to UO since befor IOA was even open so it's been a long long time. Looking forward to going again finally especially since we are such big Harry Potter fans.
Just take a deeeeeeep breath and relax. It's a lot to do in seven days but you can do it! :thumbsup2

We also do this on all our trips :thumbsup2 As Metro said, it's a lot to take in during the 6 days, but as long as you make time to do your absolute musts, and realize you won't see everything you'll be just fine!!

MuchLovedMama said:
We're staying at AoA for a week in September and will be going to both IOA and US for a full day each. Just curious if other do this or is it too overwhelming? We will either rent a couple cars for 2 days or rent 2 of the Taxi vans since we are a party of 12. Feeling a little overwhelmed right now. Just curious if many others do this.

We are flying in to Orlando on dec 8 and renting a car for two days for just this reason. It's cheaper than paying a taxi as we are staying onsite at RPR that first night so we'll have early admission to IOA......planning a full day there then driving to La Quinta to crash for the night Sunday night....having our free breakfast then driving to Port Orleans for the remaining 7 nights of our vacation. We'll turn the car in after getting our KTTK and have a shuttle bring us back to POR. We're only 2 adults though. We also plan on stopping at a store to pick up some water bottles and anything else we left at home :). December can't get here fast enough for us (our kids are mostly grown now so this is our first Orlando trip without kids )!

We just got back yesterday from a trip just like this. We rented a house just a few miles from Disney and spent 4 days at Disney and drove over to US/IOA for a day each. The drive is very easy (go early), parking in a parking deck is also easy. We had no trouble getting in or out of there. It was a tiring week but a lot of fun. My two teens loved US/IOA. I'm a Disney girl so not sure I would go back but glad that I got to do it. We also saw the Blue Man Group and loved them. I would go see them again.

Good luck.

We are doing the same trip at the end of the month. I feel your stress! It's a lot to plan and organize. I finally feel like I have our plan of action mapped out....big thanks to all the vet's on these forums for all their help!:goodvibes

I was real stressed out trying to plan for the two parks and not know what to expect since it was our first visit.

One thing that I found was it is not as big as I thought it would be. I was looking at maps online and thought it was going to be huge and it wasn't. Things were a lot closer together.

Go early. It is a bit of a walk from the parking garage to the parks.

We have a car booked mid-way through the trip for a couple of days (pick up at the Dolphin as we are staying at BWV) and plan to go to Universal / IOA and do some shopping at the mall! :banana: (We are from Canada and stuff is so much cheaper and there's more variety than back home).

We are only doing 1 day at Universal / IOA and know we can't ride everything. Planning to get there early, we have a list of must do's such as WWHP, Simpsons and Despicable Me and are getting the Express Pass. We'll see as much as we can and if we don't, oh well, we're on vacation! Just have to make the best of it.

Enjoy your trip! :)

My question for people that do this is and are staying on Disney property (which sounds like some of you are) . Are you paying for Disney tickets that they end up not using?

For example, if you are staying at Disney for a week but want to spend 2 days at universal are you still booking and paying for a 7 days worth of Disney tickets knowing that you will only be hitting Disney parks for 5 days? Or did you somehow purchase 7 nights at the Disney resort but only 5 day worth of tickets?

I am planning a trip for Feb 2013 and was thinking we would split the trip into two different parts - a Disney stay for 5 nights and a universal stay for two (undecided about whether we would stay at a universal hotel or an offsite hotel near universal). Also undecided about whether the universal part would come before or after Disney, but it would definitely not be in the middle which is what it sounds like a few of you do.

I know this is not exactly what you asked but we just did a Disney/US trip last week. It was our first trip to US/IOA. We rented a house at Sunset Lakes very close to Disney. We usually spend 6 days at the Disney parks with park hopper tickets. Since I knew we would be going to US/IOA for 2 days I purchased 4 day base tickets for WDW (no hoppers) and then 2 day(1 each park) US/IOA. I knew that we would not have time to hop or use the 2 extra days that we normally would get and that would be a waste of money.

cc-atl said:
My question for people that do this is and are staying on Disney property (which sounds like some of you are) . Are you paying for Disney tickets that they end up not using?

For example, if you are staying at Disney for a week but want to spend 2 days at universal are you still booking and paying for a 7 days worth of Disney tickets knowing that you will only be hitting Disney parks for 5 days? Or did you somehow purchase 7 nights at the Disney resort but only 5 day worth of tickets?

I am planning a trip for Feb 2013 and was thinking we would split the trip into two different parts - a Disney stay for 5 nights and a universal stay for two (undecided about whether we would stay at a universal hotel or an offsite hotel near universal). Also undecided about whether the universal part would come before or after Disney, but it would definitely not be in the middle which is what it sounds like a few of you do.

We will be staying 7 nights at AoA and getting 5 day park passes. Then we'll buy 2-day universal passes. U can choose how many days worth of tickets u need so that none are leftover.

We will be staying 7 nights at AoA and getting 5 day park passes. Then we'll buy 2-day universal passes. U can choose how many days worth of tickets u need so that none are leftover.

That makes sense. You can use the 5 day pass for any of the 7 days you want, right? In other words, you do not need to pick which 5 days you will use the tickets for in advance or need to use the tickets for 5 consecutive days?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter