Any World Travellers—Looking For Reasonably Priced Flights out of Pearson to Asia?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
We just booked a bucket list RCCL cruise for next August leaving out of Singapore and ending in Tokyo (hoping to also do Tokyo Disneyland / Disney Seas after the cruise). This is all assuming everything opens up by next summer as Japan is currently limiting foreign visitors. Having never been to Asia I am a little lost in how to go about looking for reasonably (I know it will not be cheap) priced airfare, not sure: which sites to use, what airlines to even look at, when to book or if we should use a travel agent for this (cruise is booked directly with the cruise line). We live just outside Toronto so we’d be flying out of Pearson (3 if us DH, myself and our DD). Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

We’ve been planning a trip to dl Tokyo for our 20th wedding anniversary. Then Covid hit. We had planning Toronto to Hawaii then change carriers and fly Hawaiian airlines to Tokyo. We also planned a stop for a couple days in Hawaii to help with the jet lag etc

We’ve been planning a trip to dl Tokyo for our 20th wedding anniversary. Then Covid hit. We had planning Toronto to Hawaii then change carriers and fly Hawaiian airlines to Tokyo. We also planned a stop for a couple days in Hawaii to help with the jet lag etc

Hi @shaycamp21 ~ So excited for you! My mother is from Singapore and we have many friends and family there. My family and I have been fortunate to travel extensively throughout Asia and you're going to have a wonderful time. I am pretty certain that your cruise will stop in Penang, Malaysia, which is where my father is from, as it's a very popular (and usually everyone's favorite port) and a wonderful city island.

We have done the travel agent route, especially when there's a need for a visa and a time crunch. Otherwise, we typically book flights on our own. I would confirm visa requirements. Travel agents are helpful if you don't want the stress of booking, but otherwise their main expertise is helping with visas, if needed. If you don't need visas (or can easily apply online for one), then I don't really see the need to pay for a TA. I'm also a Type A person, though, and I like to control my own itinerary and choose my own seats, etc. As such, using a TA is not always conducive to my personality, as I hate having to go through a middle man for something that I can do online by myself. Obviously, if you're not a Type A person, then this characteristic would not apply to you! :)

I use Google Flights. Perhaps there's a better search engine, but I like Google Flights. It's far too early for you to book international flights right now - as your trip is 11 months out - but getting a good idea of options as of right now, it looks like Air Canada, ANA, Korean Air (through Seoul), Cathay (through Hong Kong), and Singapore Airlines have the most frequencies/options. Singapore Airlines (SIA) is my favorite airline in the world. It is by far the BEST option and if you're OK with spending a little bit more, you will be highly rewarded. Even the experience in the economy cabin is superb to any other airline I've ever flown. Commitment to safety, quality, etc. is incredible. SIA "retires" their aircraft after ~10 years, and sells the aircraft to other airlines, thus keeping the youngest fleet in the industry. I was surprised there wasn't a non-stop option between Toronto and Singapore, but it looks like you're going to have to go from Toronto to Vancouver and then non stop to Singapore.

For the most part, Asian airlines are far superior to North American carriers. We flew Korean Air from DC to Seoul on one leg of our honeymoon and it was a wonderful experience. I've also flown ANA and thought the service and food was great. The aircraft (from DC) was a little older, but it was no different - and certainly younger - than United Airlines and Air Canada's aircraft. I've heard wonderful things about Eva and Cathay from family + friends, but have never flown them personally.

I highly recommend, as someone in the hospitality industry (hotels), booking directly through the airline's website. For instance, if you use Google Flights and see a route that you'd like to book with Singapore Airlines, I would then go to https://www.singaporeair.com/ and book the route directly from Singapore Airlines.

Regarding getting around Asia, there are smaller "regional" airlines, you can find most information online. I would recommend not flying Philippines Airlines. Cousins just flew them from Manila to LA a few days ago and mentioned that the Manila Airport was not good (too small and very tedious, inefficient security process that would be an issue if you had a connecting flight). Malaysia Airlines, despite its high profile crashes, is very safe and a top airline in the area. There are "budget" airlines in Southeast Asia (just Google them). I've flown Air Asia, Tiger, and Scoot and found them to be no different than short flights (1-3 hours) on American Airlines, United Airlines, etc. and certainly a better experience than America's Frontier Airlines and Spirit!

Sorry for the long response - let me know if you have any follow up questions. Always happy to help and I can direct message as well. Have fun planning and I hope you have the most wonderful trip! Singapore and Japan are incredible countries and will really appreciate your tourism dollars right now!

Last edited:

Sorry for the long response - let me know if you have any follow up questions. Always happy to help and I can direct message as well. Have fun planning and I hope you have the most wonderful trip! Singapore and Japan are incredible countries and will really appreciate your tourism dollars right now!
I REALLY appreciate your detailed response. I also enjoy planning vacations myself and like you prefer to be in control of my vacation. I know right now Japan is requiring travellers to book everything through a Japanese travel agency though that may change once things (hopefully) open up more. Our cruise unfortunately does not go to Malaysia another place I’d love to go. This is the itinerary:

Singapore, Singapore (we hope to fly in early to have several days to explore Singapore prior to cruising)
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Hong Kong (stops for 2 days)
Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan
Osaka, Japan
Mt. Fuji (Shimizu), Japan
Toyko, Japan

It’s 12 nights with a number of sea days as well. We had been planning a trip to Thailand for our 25th which happened during Covid so the closest we got was ordering in Thai food lol. When I started looking into Thailand again I thought a cruise would be a less intimidating way to travel but none were going to Thailand during our travel dates but then I stumbled upon this cruise and had to book, but now am a little overwhelmed about planning lol. Any info you can share is much appreciated.

I REALLY appreciate your detailed response. I also enjoy planning vacations myself and like you prefer to be in control of my vacation. I know right now Japan is requiring travellers to book everything through a Japanese travel agency though that may change once things (hopefully) open up more. Our cruise unfortunately does not go to Malaysia another place I’d love to go. This is the itinerary:

Singapore, Singapore (we hope to fly in early to have several days to explore Singapore prior to cruising)
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan
Osaka, Japan
Toyko, Japan

It’s 12 nights with a number of sea days as well. We had been planning a trip to Thailand for our 25th which happened during Covid so the closest we got was ordering in Thai food lol. When I started looking into Thailand again I thought a cruise would be a less intimidating way to travel but none were going to Thailand during our travel dates but then I stumbled upon this cruise and had to book, but now am a little overwhelmed about planning lol. Any info you can share is much appreciated.
Thanks for more information.

Singapore - Absolutely recommend getting in a few days early, as you mentioned, if anything to assist with the jetlag. Singapore is very similar to Toronto in that it's a clean, safe, kind, smartly functioning, and English-speaking country. If you can, I recommend "splurging" and staying at a nice hotel. Top of the top is Marina Bay Sands with the amazing infinity pool. Raffles Singapore has a historical element to it (try the "Singapore Sling"). But seriously, all of the hotels in Singapore are very nice - we've stayed at the Hilton Orchard Road (which I think closed and a new one just opened), Marriott Orchard Road, Four Seasons, etc. Parkroyal is a great brand/option too. We like the Orchard Road (like NYC's Fifth Ave) area because of the shopping, restaurants, and proximity to friends; however, you really can't go wrong. It's very easy to get around Singapore. We usually hop in a taxi. The subway system is very clean, safe, and reliable and a great option as well. I highly recommend reading the book and/or seeing the movie "Crazy Rich Asians" if you haven't already. Singapore is known for its food and I really recommend trying out all of the unique food items such as Haianese Chicken Rice, the endless noodle dishes (such as Mee Rebus) and rice dishes (Nasi Lemak). Spicy crabs are super popular as well. You really can't go wrong and you can easily Google and find out the "best" places to eat prior to your trip. Just note that Singapore is very hot and humid - it is by the equator after all - so plan accordingly. Garden by the Bay is great in evening/night when it cools down. Anything indoors will have the amazing AC and you'll actually want to pack a sweater with you as you'll be continuously experiencing the heat outside to the strong AC inside (and in restaurants).

Nha Trang - Never been, but the coastal cities of Vietnam have the most amazing beaches. I've been to Danang, which is a northern coastal beach/resort town, and have a feeling it's very similar.

I've never been to HK nor Taiwan, but really want to go. (I badly want to try the Disney dim sum at the HK Disney restaurant... one day...).

Japan - My family did a tour of just Japan, and now that I think about it, the tour guide people booked the flights in/out of the country for us. I think we flew into Tokyo and out from Osaka? Can't remember, but I know it wasn't the same airport for arrival/departure. So perhaps they will book your flight home from Tokyo? Not sure... but if you're taking the cruise TO Osaka, then you don't need the TA to book your flight TO Japan then, right? We liked Japan! You'll have a great time.

Thanks for more information.

Singapore - Absolutely recommend getting in a few days early, as you mentioned, if anything to assist with the jetlag. Singapore is very similar to Toronto in that it's a clean, safe, kind, smartly functioning, and English-speaking country. If you can, I recommend "splurging" and staying at a nice hotel. Top of the top is Marina Bay Sands with the amazing infinity pool. Raffles Singapore has a historical element to it (try the "Singapore Sling"). But seriously, all of the hotels in Singapore are very nice - we've stayed at the Hilton Orchard Road (which I think closed and a new one just opened), Marriott Orchard Road, Four Seasons, etc. Parkroyal is a great brand/option too. We like the Orchard Road (like NYC's Fifth Ave) area because of the shopping, restaurants, and proximity to friends; however, you really can't go wrong. It's very easy to get around Singapore. We usually hop in a taxi. The subway system is very clean, safe, and reliable and a great option as well. I highly recommend reading the book and/or seeing the movie "Crazy Rich Asians" if you haven't already. Singapore is known for its food and I really recommend trying out all of the unique food items such as Haianese Chicken Rice, the endless noodle dishes (such as Mee Rebus) and rice dishes (Nasi Lemak). Spicy crabs are super popular as well. You really can't go wrong and you can easily Google and find out the "best" places to eat prior to your trip. Just note that Singapore is very hot and humid - it is by the equator after all - so plan accordingly. Garden by the Bay is great in evening/night when it cools down. Anything indoors will have the amazing AC and you'll actually want to pack a sweater with you as you'll be continuously experiencing the heat outside to the strong AC inside (and in restaurants).
Thank you again for all the amazing detailed information. It's funny I just watched the movie Crazy Rich Asians again this weekend to see all the amazing sights in Singapore (I have also been watching lots of youtube videos with travel tips it's just hard to find more recent info since things have been shut down for so long). Do you know when Singapore Airlines would release their summer flights? Is is best to book right away as soon as flights are released or wait for deals? I am wondering too if there would be significant savings if we flew out of say Vancouver or LAX as I have enough Visa points to get us as far as LA.

The Singapore heat you speak of reminds me of Florida in the summer. We spent many August WDW melting in the heat but then freezing in the AC so I know to pack a sweater.

Thank you again for all the amazing detailed information. It's funny I just watched the movie Crazy Rich Asians again this weekend to see all the amazing sights in Singapore (I have also been watching lots of youtube videos with travel tips it's just hard to find more recent info since things have been shut down for so long). Do you know when Singapore Airlines would release their summer flights? Is is best to book right away as soon as flights are released or wait for deals? I am wondering too if there would be significant savings if we flew out of say Vancouver or LAX as I have enough Visa points to get us as far as LA.

The Singapore heat you speak of reminds me of Florida in the summer. We spent many August WDW melting in the heat but then freezing in the AC so I know to pack a sweater.
You're welcome!

Forgot to mention that Thailand is one of our favorite countries (more than Vietnam and Japan - shhh). Real hospitality, friendly people, great food, affordable, and lots of history. Thailand is the only country in Southeast Asia that hasn't been colonized! Bangkok is a very bustling, crazy city - much like other Asian cities - that we didn't care for as much. However, we LOVED Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai is up there in "favorite cities" in the world.

I'm not sure when SIA will release summer flights - everything's been so different with COVID. Just Googling how far in advance to book flights, the window is a lot shorter than what I recall. The Points Guy, a formidable resource that I rely on, mentioned ~6 months. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-...should be booking,pay attention to the trends.

Expedia says 3-4 months, which feels a little too short to me - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ime-to-book-airfare-and-hotels-301398008.html

Yes, Singapore heat is very much like FL!

I was thinking of you flying Toronto to SF or LA and they taking a non-stop to Singapore, but I wasn't sure if that's a pain to go through immigration/customs/security two times. (Unless the US airport would allow you to remain in transit/not force you to leave immigrations/customs and back in? Can't remember, as I've never done an international flight TO the US followed by an immediate int'l flight OUT of the US.) Pre-COVID, SF and LA had multiple nonstop flight to Singapore per day. I still recommend SIA if you go this route. However, United is perfectly acceptable. My maid of honor and husband flew out to our second wedding/tea ceremony on United's inaugural non-stop flight from LAX to SIA. It was just shy of 18 hours, and they said it was perfectly fine. They live in LA so it was really nice for them to only have one flight and it be direct. SIA also runs this flight and it looks like it's $100 more per person vs. 1 stop in Narita. I would say that $100 upcharge is worth it!

Another option is flying Toronto to Newark and then flying the "longest flight in the world" on SIA's specially retrofitted Airbuses. My family has flown it several times BEFORE they discontinued it and held out for the current specialty custom built aircraft. It's an incredible experience. There are no economy seats - only premium economy and business. Premium economy back then (20 years ago) was a dream so I imagine the current experience is somehow even better. The food + service, as well as KrisWorld flight entertainment system, are the best. They also have a snack bar set up to encourage guests to get up and increase their circulation. This isn't a bad option if you want to go the Eastern route over Europe vs. over the Pacific Ocean. I just looked up the flight on Flightaware. The flight is just shy of 19 hours. Route used to fly more direct closer to the N. pole; however, because of the war in Ukraine, I don't believe they're flying over the aggressor these days....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA21

I am currently helping my mother figure out flights in January to Malaysia. Playing with all kinds of options. One we are considering is Toronto to Singapore via SIA. Air Canada is not too badly priced either.

Did you book your cruise directly with Royal or with a travel agent? If you booked with a travel agent I would have them help you with flights.

A good travel agent would look at all options for you including what flights can be booked through the cruise line. Agents have different booking tools they can use to look up different options.

If you booked directly through Royal you could always contact a travel agent just about flights, however some agents will charge a service fee if you are only booking flights. Or you could always ask the cruise booking to be transferred to the agent (if it was booked recently).

Edit: just re-read that you booked directly. But like I mentioned you can always transfer to an agent or see if an agent would help you with booking flights and other travel arrangements (could also help with the Disney part).

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan
Osaka, Japan
Toyko, Japan

This sounds absolutely amazing! Perfect itinerary I would love for my 35 anniversary in Spring of 2026.... I also would love to do Tokyo Disney!!! I will have to look into something like this :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter