Any Turkey Day Mishaps?

We had a great day with lots of good food but now we’re waiting to see who the next covid recipient is. My husband’s college age niece got sick Thursday evening and tested positive Friday. She blew in last minute, ate at the mostly not kids anymore but don’t pay their own bills yet table in the living room, napped in another room for a couple of hours then left. We were a little worried-Then my mother-in-law went down this morning. We packed the car and left a day early but I’m not sure that will help.

Wednesday my father-in-law was home alone and let our year old dog (a Bichon) out and some how he got out of his harness and took off. Luckily my brother-in-law lives next door so we called and his three teens and a boyfriend ran out to help find and catch him. We were very lucky and the kids managed to catch him after a nice run through the neighborhood. My poor father in law chased him through the muddy lot of a new house going in next door- good news, the concrete patio and fresh driveway had hardened but both the dog and my father-in-law were a muddy mess. It was a stressful hour or so but had ended safely by the time we got home.

My Thanksgiving disaster was that I broke my ulna and radius in my forearm on Nov 12th during my first ever pickleball lesson. It was a bad open fracture. I had surgery to repair the bones with plates and screws on Nov 14th. I was in no shape to prep and cook a whole Thanksgiving dinner. Instead we ordered a complete dinner with all the sides and an oven ready seasoned turkey from our local Italian market. Everything was delicious, and I had lots of help with set up and clean up. It was a really nice, non stressful way to host the holiday!!!
Sorry about your injury it sounds very painful. Glad to hear it all worked out and you had a nice meal. I have two left feet. Note to self do not attempt pickle ball.

Sorry about your injury it sounds very painful. Glad to hear it all worked out and you had a nice meal. I have two left feet. Note to self do not attempt pickle ball.
Pickleball is totally safe, they said. 70 and 80 year olds love to play it, they said. Even people with mobility challenges enjoy it, they said.

After hearing all that, I figured it’d be good exercise for me - a 57 year old woman with 2 knee replacements (done in 2020 and 2021) and a little extra weight. After all, I got the knees replaced so I COULD do stuff like this and be more active. 2.5 hours into the first 3 hour lesson, my shoe caught on the court, threw me off balance, and over I went. According to onlookers, it happened in slow motion, and I very gracefully rolled as I hit the ground and ended in a sitting position. They didn’t see me land on my forearm and snap it in half.

I think my next sport may be yoga. Can you break bones doing yoga??!!??

Last edited:

Argggh, burnt the bottom of my cranberry sauce. Did not stir! Quickly poured out the top layer and was enough.

Pickleball is totally safe, they said. 70 and 80 year old love to play it, they said. Even people with mobility challenges enjoy it, they said.

After hearing all that, I figured it’d be good exercise for me - a 57 year old woman with 2 knee replacements (done in 2020 and 2021) and a little extra weight. After all, I got the knees replaced so I COULD do stuff like this and be more active. 2.5 hours into the first 3 hour lesson, my shoe caught on the court, threw me off balance, and over I went. According to onlookers, it happened in slow motion, and I very gracefully rolled as I hit the ground and ended in a sitting position. They didn’t see me land on my forearm and snap it in half.

Here’s to a speedy recovery! Swimming seems the least injury prone, maybe yoga too?

Probably… some of those poses look kind of acrobatic.

You should talk to your ortho about whether he thinks you need a Dexa (Bone Density) scan… that seems like a pretty bad break for a “slow motion” and thus semi-controlled fall.

Your friends are right, pickleball is like the new shuffleboard for the very senior crowd— think 70, 80, even 90 year olds. It’s the fastest growing sport in the country… which is funny because it’s been around for quite awhile. No idea why it’s suddenly getting popular.

Not really a mishap, everyone else loved them but I wasn't feeling well and was really, really looking forward to mashed potatoes. I turned my back on the stove for just a moment and my oldest loaded them up with garlic :crazy2: and italian seasoning. Not a garlic fan at all and I can't eat mashed potatoes with any kind of specks in them. Everything else turned out good, though so no real complaints.

No mishaps. Did try out roasting one of the birds upside down for the first time. She wasn't pretty, but hands down the tastiest and easiest I've ever made. No basting whatsoever, otherwise my usual prep. Very moist and flavorful. New tradition going forward.

As a newer MSU fan, I went to the Michigan State - Penn State game. It was bad, and didn't even have the energy that normal home games have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter