Any Treasure series collector here?

fhtpdw20

DIS Veteran
I am hoping the continue the line. Each year it gets smaller and more limited in number produced. What would you like to see? I have the both Disneylands, Spin and Marty, Hardy Boys, Annette, Front Line, Tomorrowland, both Silly Syphony, Your Host, Walt Disney, Behind the Scenes WD Studio and Micky Mouse Club.

I have the first 4/5 ( I think) series that were released. Unfortunately duty/customs made them very expensive for delivery to Scotland.

I keep looking out for them as I would still like to add to the collection.

I'm very interested! Can you tell us more about what the Treasure Series is??

Here is a link to all the past Treasures released. If you notice the number of released sets and edition number gets less each year. http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html

If you are interested and a D23 member you can buy all of them in a collector set from the disneystore.com, but it is pretty expensive. You may be able to find so at Best Buy or ebay.

Usually the next wave is announced late spring/early summer and go on sale in November/December.

I have quite a few of the sets, but I only buy the ones that interest me. For example, I might not get those that collect serials. I do have lots of those that collect cartoon shorts, including the Disney On The Front Lines set. I also like to get the ones that present themed shows from the old anthology series (such as the Tomorrowland set), those that focus on the theme parks, and those that feature Walt Disney himself. It's important to me that my boys know Walt Disney the man, and not just think of him as a brand name. That has paid off -- there's a video playing outside the entrance to Carousel of Progress that shows Walt with the Sherman Brothers. When my wife asked our four-year "Who is that?" he didn't miss a beat in responding, "That's Walt Disney!" Made his daddy proud!

I also have the set presenting the first week of the original Mickey Mouse Club. Upon watching it, it made me think that in some ways I was born too late.

I have most of the Treasures Sets. When they first came out. I used to buy two of them for my dad for christmas and he used to buy me the other two. He has sinced passed so i usually buy them for myself. I dont have the black and white cartoon ones because i'm not too interested in them and i didnt get the Zorro ones because i wasnt interested enough in them to spend $50 each. I really like the behind the scenes ones and the color shorts. i havnt watched all the serial ones yet.

I have them all except for Zorro and Davy Crockett(not that interested). I'm watching the Tomorrowland set right now. :earsboy:

I have only recently gotten into them and so far have only procured the Hardy Boys series. I'm looking forward to getting more, though. :goodvibes

I have all of them except for Zorro. I was not willing to pay $50+ for them. I was hoping they would come down in price but no such luck.

I have Donald vol. 2 & just got Pluto vol 2 (I think) yesterday. I've been looking online for more. That link above doesn't help my wallet out AT ALL.

I have a couple dozen of them. Most of the animated ones - I'm missing a couple a Silly Symphony one and I think a Mickey one. I also need to get the first two in the nature series.

There have been rumors for the last couple of years that this series is going to be discontinued. Roy Disney and Leonard Maltin have really campaigned to keep the series going.

There was talk that "Song of the South" would be released as a Treasure series so that Leonard Maltin could introduce it and put the film in perspective for modern audiences. But at the last stockholder's meeting Bob Iger made it clear that it will never be released.

Someone wrote on another thread that the documentaries "The Boys" (about the Sherman Brothers), "Walt and El Grupo" (about Walt and the animators' pre WWII trip to South America) and "Waking Sleeping Beauty" (about the fall and rise of Disney animation in the 70s and 80s) will be released as Treasures by the end of 2010.

MY DBF and I combined our collecitons - thanks for the list.
Now we can search for what we are missing.

anyone else not opened them yet?

I have 8 of them:
Donald Duck vol. 1
Pluto vol. 1
Mickey Mouse Club
On the Front Lines
Behind the Scenes at the WD Studio
Disneyland: Secrets, Stories & Magic
Tomorrow Land
Oswalt the Lucky Rabbit

I don't have many, but I really enjoy the ones I do have. Would love to see Treasures featuring Jiminy Cricket, Chip & Dale, and People and Places. But I'd be happy just to see ANY new Treasures announced. In the meantime, I've pre-ordered Waking Sleeping Beauty and Walt and El Grupo which (along with the Sherman Bros) seem to be this year's closest releases to Treasures type of material.

I have them all now since I was able to get both seasons of Zorro on ebay for under $50. I'm waiting to see if they are going to bring out any this year.

Sadly, the Treasures line has ended. I have not seen anything about a replacement. The closest thing we will get to this year is the trio of documentaries coming to DVD on November 30. Titles are Waking Sleeping Beauty, The Sherman Brothers Story, and Walt and El Grupo.

That's to bad that they are ending this series. There are so many more great series and specials they could of put out. I would of loved to have seen the opening specials for WDW and Epcot from years ago.

I wonder if we're ever going to get all the Disney material released on DVD re-released again as blu-ray(though that would be great!). The blu-ray editions of the classic Disney movies they've released so far are a substantial improvement over the DVDs (which were pretty nice anyway).

The world seems to be moving away from physical media, but perhaps we'll be treated to hi-res downloads at some point in the future.

I'm glad I bought all the DVDs when I did. :earsboy:

The world seems to be moving away from physical media, but perhaps we'll be treated to hi-res downloads at some point in the future.

I hope that in the future enough folks enjoy physical media enough to keep the format alive. I have no interest in 'streaming' only movies or books, and while i have purchased music from amazon and itunes in the past, I have discontinued that practice.

Many folks do not know that one does not 'own' digital media as one owns physical media. You can't leave it to your kids when you die for instance, you have only purchased the right to stream it on your personal devices. While it's illegal to duplicate physical media, at least you do own the record or book or cd or dvd or blu-ray, and it's always on your shelf for instant access.

Thus, I guess I'm saying I have no interest in hi-res downloads but would welcome a Disney Treasures like set of Blu-Ray discs.

Shawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter