Any tips for a newbie?

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
We're planning our first trip as a family to DL. We're flying in from Chicago and plan to use a shuttle from the airport. There are 6 of us so we will need two rooms. We're looking at the staying at the Tropicana but are open to other suggestions. We will be there July 30-Aug 2. What are the crowds typically like? We will rent a van and head to San Diego for the rest of the week.

Our youngest DD is disabled and uses a wheelchair but we don't need the room to be handicap accessible. At WDW we used the first aid area to change her diaper. Is it the same at DL?

We're planning 1 day at each park. What are the 'don't miss' things and the 'ok to skip'?

When we booked WDW, we used a travel agent and saved quite a bit over the price and discounts I could find. Sadly, she said that they don't get discounts for DL.

Any suggestions for hotels on or very near a beach in San Diego are also appreciated.

Thanks !

You're going to have so much fun, even with all the crowds. :) You might be able to use First Aid at both Disneyland & California Adventure, but there are a few companion restrooms that you might also take advantage of if it works for you.

Tropicana is a decent place to stay, and close enough where you can walk to both parks.

As with Walt Disney World, my tip is to go when the park first opens so that you can take advantage of lesser crowds. It's not as energy-sapping humid, so you might be able to enjoy the park without having to go back to your room. Instead, take advantage of the shows - Lincoln and Mickey and the Magical Map during the hot hours to cool down and relax. You definitely need to go to Pirates of the Caribbean and it's a Small World. I would also recommend Jungle Cruise, as it's different, Casey Jr Circus Train and Storyland Canal Boats, if you can ride it. Peter Pan always has a long queue, so don't know if you want to try it. You might have access to the DAS pass (I think that is what it is called) that will help you manage the queues. Try Indiana Jones, Hyperspace Mountain (very different than WDW Space Mountain). For Finding Nemo submarines there is an accessible viewing chamber you all might enjoy (look for the Hidden Mickey in the meshed lockers). Buzz Lightyear is also different, and fun.

At California Adventure they should have the new Frozen show, so be sure to see that. The Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc are fun dark rides. Little Mermaid is a bit different than the one at Walt Disney World, as is Tower of Terror. It's Tough to Be a Bug and Midway Mania are the same. As soon as you get to the park get fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers. Again, with your DAS you might get different queue experiences.

You'll have others chime in that will give fun suggestions. :)

Thanks you for the suggestions. Will 1 day in each park be enough time or should we switch to a 3 day ticket and spend 2 days in one?

There is so much to do in the parks. I would definitely choose 3 days over 2. We come from Minnesota and we do 5 days each trip with the whole family. We never get bored and we have time for all shows and repeats of favorite rides. Whichever you choose, you'll have a great time!

You are going to have a great time! DL is the best. Crowds will be big but the worst of the year as back to school season is gearing up. I've never stayed at the Tropicana but it gets good reviews. Something else to consider if it is in your budget is the Paradise Pier Hotel then you will get early entry each day of your visit. If you switch to a 3 day park hopper ticket you will get one early entry day to disneyland park. Early entry is great especially if you are interested in Fantasyland attractions.

Make sure you visit guest relations on your first day to get information about the guest assistance pass. Some of the rides at Disneyland Park do not have wheelchair compatible entrances so you will need to enter through the exit or alternate area. Also ask them about areas for changing as needed. They were very helpful every time I've talked to them.

Ok now for the fun part....

Don't miss--

DLP- Pirates, Lincoln, Small World, Peter Pan, Canal Boats, Space, Thunder, Indy
DCA- Racers, Luigi, Maters, lighting of Carsland area (usually around 6 or 7 pm), Soarin, Grizzly, Screamin, Toy Story

OK to skip- personal opinions only here---Tower of Terror, Splash and Star Tours

I stayed at Tropicana in adjoining rooms a couple weeks ago. We really liked it, but there is only elevators on one side of the motel. Even if you don't need an accessible room, make sure they know you're using a wheelchair and need 1st floor or rooms close to the elevator.

I can help you with the wheel chair part. Also, if you can search my posts, you will find a thread I started in the disabilities forum about Disability Assistance Pass and how it worked at DL. She may or may not be eligible for it. If the wheel chair fixes her problem with waiting in lines she won't be eligible. Regardless, when you get to the park the first day, you will need to go to guest services and talk with them. If your younger daughter's chair looks anything like a stroller, you will need a stroller as a wheelchair tag for it (my daughter has a convaid that I think is pretty obviously a wheelchair but it doesn't allow self propulsion and without fail, at least one cast member insists it is a stroller and she needs to get out and walk the cue, which is not even remotely possible). You might have to be a bit insistent to get the tag.

Not many of the rides lines in DL or DCA are wheelchair accessible so you usually end up using the exit or some alternate entrance. I really do think you need 3 days. We are vets, have a DAS pass, stay onsite so we get the extra hour in the morning, know exactly where the wheelchair entrances are on each ride and we still really need 2.5 days to do everything we want to do. The fantasyland rides with a wheelchair alone will take you almost half a day. add in figuring out where the wheelchair entrances are on the rides and I think that with 2 days you are going to miss a ton. Plus with the third day, you should get in one hour early to DL one day.

On the San Diego issue, you dates are late enough that you might be able to get a good deal on a beachfront house or condo on VRBO. Also, California beaches have beach wheelchairs that you can use for free. I can't possibly express to you how amazing they will be for your DD (and which ever poor soul would otherwise have to push or carry her across the sand.)

If you want to private message me more info about your DD, I will be happy to give you more specific advise on any topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter