• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any snakes?

batt01

Mouseketeer
We are considering camping in a tent for the first time. I am fairly affraid of snakes. What are the chances one might cross my path at the camp ground?

Thanks!

I'm just the opposite of you - I love snakes! I've been going to FW for many years and I've searched and searched for snakes and have never found one! LOL!

Some people have seen them, but they are not frequent -- and will definitely not get into your tent, as long as you keep it zipped up at night! :)

We saw 3 of them in July! They were the black snakes and seemed to want to get away from me as much as I wanted to get away from them. :scared:

In the many years ive been camping there i've only seen snakes a handfull of times, but never near our tent.

I'd be more worried about the opposums or armadillos. When we went in May, my sister heard these little critters outside of her tent all night!! The first couple of nights she thought it was someone walking around but then figured out that it was critters.

We've never seen snakes, but we have seen tons of little Lizards. Our TomBoy daughter spent many hours trying to catch one and finally on our last day she got one! We all looked at him and then let him go. (Just a nice memory to share about the reptiles of FW). :)

Just got back form Pop and saw a water moccasin over there! He was a baby, which tells me there is a momma and lots more babies out there too :cold: Me no likee snakee! :rotfl:

We took a picture so we could show management-- they really need to cut down the tall weeds and underbrush by the water line. It is a perfect place for snakes-- which makes it a perfect place for me to avoid!! :earseek:

Christy

We have seen snakes at numerous places around the resorts not just at FW. For the most part they are just passing by on the way to some other area not out looking for somone to bite etc. We have also seen alligators at FW and Armadillos and many other critters.

I haven't encountered one. You'll probably see more bunnies than anything else. And they are cute.

As far as noises, last trip there was a boy scout troop or something in the next loop creating a whole bunch of noise. But the AC makes enough noise to kind of drown out the sounds. I've never had any problem falling asleep there, unless i'm just wide awake from having energy to burn.

Was Standing next to my trailer when I heard a thump on the ground, a snake had fallen out of a tree and landed next to me, freaked me out slightly but it went away quickly. Loved seeing the armidillos and peacocks right out our door.

disfanRN said:
Was Standing next to my trailer when I heard a thump on the ground, a snake had fallen out of a tree and landed next to me, freaked me out slightly but it went away quickly. Loved seeing the armidillos and peacocks right out our door.

Unfortuneately, the peacocks are no more. Eerily quiet now.

Apparently, some campers considered them a nuisance and complained enough to stimulate Disney to trap them (humanely) and relocate them to AK. Another sad chapter in FW history, in my opinion. We saw the capture of one in April. I guess the white one held out pretty long, but was outwitted by the powers that be.

Yes, there are snakes. Here's a pic of a water moccasin that I took last week while waiting on the MK ferry. We were standing on the docks facing towards Wilderness Lodge. The snake was making his (or her) way towards the beach area.

894017489203_0_ALB.jpg

There are snakes but for the most part they really don't want any part of us! I live about 30 from FW and just this weekend my DH was cleaning the gutters and a snake fell out .Scared him half to death. At FW i have seen a few . I am really sad that the peacocks are gone. I really loved seeing them. I do have a funny story. One year the white peacock seemed to have a thing for any white cars. It would keep runny in front of us to get us to stop. A fellow camper finally helped me chase it away but it was chasing us down the street.

only ever saw on snake at FW and it was a squished one on the road. (a small victory for me, a big snake hater)

Just got back form Pop and saw a water moccasin over there!

OMG! us too. we just stayed at POP last month and we encounted a rather large one slithering across the sidewalk and into the weeds/water to the lake back by the 70's building. i was on high point alert looking for creepies the rest of the trip.

-lori

LMC said:
I'd be more worried about the opposums or armadillos.

Same here...
These were the only animal life we encountered other than the beautiful peacocks that wander around everywhere!

logella said:
Yes, there are snakes. Here's a pic of a water moccasin that I took last week while waiting on the MK ferry. We were standing on the docks facing towards Wilderness Lodge. The snake was making his (or her) way towards the beach area.

894017489203_0_ALB.jpg

This looks like the head and neck of a bird or duck to me. I have seen lots of these in ponds and lakes in Florida. It is some type of bird/duck, don't know the name, that dives into the water and its head pops up as it swims along.

Also - I have seen them on land and they are quite funny in the way they sit still for so long and spread their wings. Not sure if they are trying to dry off or what!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter