Any sense in moving our booking to a GTY three weeks out?

pangyal

#TeamSven
Please excuse the newbieness radiating off of me, we are first time cruisers booked on Magic leaving Feb. 4 (squee!).

We are booked in a Navigator Verandah room 7A category. I was looking at our reservation and clicked on “change stateroom” just to see the options. It’s offering me a Verandah GTY (hope I’m using these acronyms correctly) or the same price, with no penalty or extra cost.

I like the room we chose as it seems quiet, but am wondering what the experts think of this option? I guess they could always just put us back in the same room, and then we haven’t lost anything, but when I checked the remaining availability on the ship, it looks like ours is the last navigator verandah. Does that mean we would more likely end up with a whitewall verandah or not in the aft?

Would you make the switch?

Last edited:
Please excuse the newbieness radiating off of me, we are first time cruisers booked on Magic leaving Feb. 3 (squee!).

We are booked in a Navigator Verandah room 7A category. I was looking at our reservation and clicked on “change stateroom” just to see the options. It’s offering me a VGT (hope I’m using these acronyms correctly) or the same price, with no penalty or extra cost.

I like the room we chose as it seems quiet, but am wondering what the experts think of this option? I guess they could always just put us back in the same room, and then we haven’t lost anything, but when I checked the remaining availability on the ship, it looks like ours is the last navigator verandah. Does that mean we would more likely end up with a whitewall verandah or not in the aft?

Would you make the switch?
If you're happy with the room you have, I say keep it.

Selecting a VGT means that DCL can put you in any verandah room onboard. Could be "better" or not.

If you're happy with the room you have, I say keep it.

Selecting a VGT means that DCL can put you in any verandah room onboard. Could be "better" or not.
Thanks so much for the quick reply :)!

My understanding is that our Navigator Verandah room is pretty much the worst in the verandah category, since it was the cheapest and was listed under “obstructed View”...but I know there’s a strong chance they just put us right back in it, lol!

I am wondering though why this is an option. From my reading, it appeared that you couldn’t switch from one room to another, especially a GTY, after the final payment was made. I know I was wrong, but it’s all a bit confusing!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick reply :)!

My understanding is that our Navigator Verandah room is pretty much the worst in the verandah category, since it was the cheapest and was listed under “obstructed View”...but I know there’s a strong chance they just put us right back in it, lol!

I am wondering though why this is an option. From my reading, it appeared that you couldn’t switch from one room to another, especially a VGT, after the final payment was made. I know I was wrong, but it’s all a bit confusing!
There are many people who feel the Navigator's verandahs are not the worst ones on the ship.

IMO, a verandah is a verandah. A Navigator's verandah is a bit more enclosed, but it's still a balcony.

You can always change categories, even after final payment. DCL is more than happy to take the extra money if you upgrade your category at any time.

Another dumb question. Would they be putting us in any of the verandah rooms showing as remaining on the ship currently? Or do they reshuffle ones that are showing as unavailable and then assign the GTY rooms?

Last edited:
Another dumb question. Would they be putting us in any of the verandah rooms showing as remaining on the ship currently? Or do they reshuffle ones that are showing as unavailable and then assign the VGT rooms?
No way of knowing.

We stayed in a navigator balcony when we sailed the magic and for me personally it was too enclosed for my liking. We were not able to sit in the chairs and see the ocean, there was no wind (sometimes a good thing), and it was always dark even in the middle of the day. So I guess for me I would take the chance of getting a more open balcony. We are sailing on the Wonder next month and I didn't even think to check for the navigator because Its just not for me. Some people love them, I do not. You're experience could be completely different.

We always book a Navigator balcony on the Magic. It is a bit more enclosed so it feels like an extra room almost and it is very private. I also love it in the rain, you are all snug and cozy and out of the elements. We also loved it when our daughter was younger, you feel more secure with the little ones.

For what it's worth anytime we booked a VGT category we ended up with cat 5 and 4.
Last time we had 4a with only 3 of us in the cabin.
I am a little surprised DCL is giving you an option to change to VGT as I thought it was for new bookings only.

We have never had a true Navigator's Verandah....we have had the reclassified cabins which I loved (6634, 6134, 7620, 7120) We are currently booked with a 7A GTY on the Wonder for the end of January and we are actually looking forward to the chance of getting one. I know we may not get it (could possibly get a regular verandah) but would be excited to try one.

Bottom line is Disney assigns their inventory around to accommodate their needs and we will never figure out their system!!! Doesn't really matter what you booked, how you booked, when you booked....if DCL needs to move you they will. Some people who pick their exact cabin will have a notation made like "Do Not Upgrade or Move" on their reservation. Most times the cabin you pick is the cabin you get but not always.

MJ

We have never had a true Navigator's Verandah....we have had the reclassified cabins which I loved (6634, 6134, 7620, 7120) We are currently booked with a 7A GTY on the Wonder for the end of January and we are actually looking forward to the chance of getting one. I know we may not get it (could possibly get a regular verandah) but would be excited to try one.

Bottom line is Disney assigns their inventory around to accommodate their needs and we will never figure out their system!!! Doesn't really matter what you booked, how you booked, when you booked....if DCL needs to move you they will. Some people who pick their exact cabin will have a notation made like "Do Not Upgrade or Move" on their reservation. Most times the cabin you pick is the cabin you get but not always.

MJ

7a (or whatever category) GTY is different than VGT though.
You are right no guarantees for anything, but more likely than not OP will end up with at least a category 6 if she goes with VGT. Mind you, on the classic ships they tend to assign the 7A more often for VGT's. I'm going by the "let's keep track of the IGT/OGT/VGT assignments" thread. Most of the time though people end up with category 5.
Like you said no, no guarantees for anything.

I am a little surprised DCL is giving you an option to change to VGT as I thought it was for new bookings only.[/QUOTE]

This. *GT bookings are new bookings, so any activities or excursions booked under the existing reservation would be canceled, right? Maybe OP is confusing VGT with GTY?

It all depends on if it is GTY or VGT. If it is VGT you have to cancel and rebook, so if you are within paid in full date you'll pay a penalty for cancelling (and you will lose all your activity and dining bookings if you made any). If it's GTY you are still gambling that you will be put right back into a navigators veranda but you do have the possibility that it will be a different stateroom.

I'm so sorry, everyone. I have read the "VGT vs. GTY" thread and now understand the difference. This is a GTY Verandah room. We booked 76 days out and there was only one "cheaper" verandah room left at that point, which was the Navigator one we initially booked. I know that there is a good chance we will go right back into it, but that's fine! I updated my first post to lessen the confusion. I think we will take the gamble and see what happens, since we would be happy with the Navigator verandah as well at this point, so I think we wouldn't lose anything.

I'm so sorry, everyone. I have read the "VGT vs. GTY" thread and now understand the difference. This is a GTY Verandah room. We booked 76 days out and there was only one "cheaper" verandah room left at that point, which was the Navigator one we initially booked. I know that there is a good chance we will go right back into it, but that's fine! I updated my first post to lessen the confusion. I think we will take the gamble and see what happens, since we would be happy with the Navigator verandah as well at this point, so I think we wouldn't lose anything.
All the best to you. Post back when you know what you got. :)

With the GTY, as long as you don't mind being put back into a 7A or you aren't committed to a certain area of the ship, and it doesn't matter if you get put into an accessible stateroom (they usually have big balconies though), go for it, you might get a good upgrade out of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter