Any rides you would NOT recommend taking a 5y.o. on?

As far as roller coasters first I would first let them try Barnstormer. I just got back 2 weeks ago after a fabulous trip with my grandson. He is also 5. All he could talk about was riding the 7DMT. But he had never been on a coaster. So we went on Barnstormer first to see how he liked it. He did not like it at all. No tears but he was shook up a little & did not want to do any more coasters.

Thank you for all of your insights! I have started showing my twins some youtube videos. It's interesting because my daughter at first was quite worried about it, but then thought it looked like a lot of fun. My son started out thinking it was fun, and then got scared! lol. Since we live in Hong Kong, I think we might try to go back to HKDL sometime in the next year before our trip and have them try out the runaway mine cars in big grizzly gulch. Personally, I don't think that ride is too wild, and will be a good gauge of how they can handle bigger rides.

My daughter is 5 rode everything she was tall enough for and loved them all except Tower of Terror. She was excited for it and immediately started crying once we were off the ride. I felt horrible.

Sadly she wasn't tall enough for Space Mountain, Rocking Rollercoaster or Everest.

Dinosaur is scary to me:guilty:, and none of my kids enjoy it either. Other than that, let your kiddo drive the directive.
We just got back a few weeks ago and my four year old was so excited to ride 7DMT prior to our arrival, she had seen it on Disney Junior. But, when we got there she took one look at it and decided it wasn't for her. Finally, on our last night there she changed her mind. We were able to ride it. She was apprehensive in line, but she loved it! She keeps saying it's her "favorite ride ever". I just wish she could have gone on it more than once. You never know. Have a great trip!

We are going for the 1st time in February with my son who will be 5 yrs. My husband wants to try the new rides in Pandora. My son is over 44" but I am not sure about the Flight of Passage ride for him....I really don't know too much about it at all. Is this something younger children go on or more appropriate for older children?

Next year when we go to WDW, our twins will be about 5.5 years old, and I'm sure they will reach the height requirements for pretty much every ride. We also have older kids who will be 15 and 11 at the time of our trip. Since it's our first trip, I'm assuming that we are all going to stick together the entire time as I don't think I would be comfortable letting my older kids go off on their own when they're not familiar with the parks. I know we can do rider switch/baby swap, and I know I can send my hubby with the little kids to do other rides (he's not a thrill seeker), while I go on the big rides with the big kids. So, with all that said, are there any rides that you would just really recommend NOT taking 5 year old kids on? Anything that's just way too extreme?
Rides I would not take a five year-old on: Space Mountain, Mission Space, Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest

My 4 year old granddaughter watches videos and swears she wants to go on TOT. I think she is just trying to act brave. I don't want to freak her out and then she wont want to ride anything. I guess we will wait and see what she decides at the time since she has an idea of what they are like. We can always do the child swap if need be.

Thank you for posting. I also had this question. These posts at least give me some idea.

My DD didn't like Barnstormer when she was 4, but LOVED 7DMT and still talks about going on it when we go back. She was small for her age her first trip there but should be able to ride most everything when we go back next year. I like the video idea for giving them a better idea, I think that would help her tremendously.

Dinosaur and It's Tough to be a Bug left both my kids in tears. The ride photo from Dinosaur shows both kids cowering with their heads covered, and my husband and I each trying to comfort them. It was terrible!

After those experiences we didn't even attempt ToT or Haunted Mansion.
I totally hear you on that! When my now 13 year old son was around six we went on the Dinosaur ride... I think the circulation is now returning to my arm. lol. However, he did assure me that he would give it a shot now...7 years later. :)

I'd say the most important part is if the kids don't want to go on the rides, it's OK! As a parent, I want our kids time at WDW to be magical, not stressful. I've seen a lot of parents try and pressure their kids into doing Space Mountain or Big Thunder and I can't help, but feel bad for the kids. As mentioned above and to add a couple, here are a few rides that may be over the top for young children...but again it depends on the kid:
  • Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Everest
  • Dinosaur
  • Rock'n Roller coaster
  • Tower of Terror
Best advice...start with easy rides like Astro Orbiter, Barnstormer...then give the Mine Train a go (little smoother ride than Big Thunder). If that works...keep going! Above all else and most importantly...have a magical vacation! :)

My 5 year old went on everything she was tall enough for in January. She was very sad that she was not tall enough for RNR.

It sounds cliché, but you know your kids best. My oldest was 5.5 yr old, 43.5" when we went. We had watched ride videos before we went because he does better if he has an idea of what to expect. He can focus on scary things and keep himself up at night. Given these two factors, I did not let him go on Dinosaur or HM. He thought Splash, SDMT and Barnstormer were 'too wild'. His little brother, the thrill seeker, kept wanting to ride Astro Orbiter and Barnstormer.
This sounds just like my nephews the last time we went. Oldest was 5 and terrified on 7DMT, we all felt so bad that he went on it, especially since he ended up sitting in the front :( Youngest was 3 at the time and was jealous he was not tall enough for 7DMT, but he got his fix on the Barnstormer though :)

Agree - let them ride what they want for the most part! We did have an exception to this rule - Space Mountain. Due to how the seats are set up, we made sure the child was mature enough to stay sitting in the seat if something scared them. It was never a worry with my middle child. I didn't let my eldest ride it when he was tall enough due to not trusting him not to try to get out of his seat. He hit the 44" at barely 4 years old though and was still a little scared of the dark.

Space Mtn. She was 6, it was the first ride, terrified her so bad she wouldn't hardly ride anything after that.

So much depends on the kid. When my youngest was 5 he hated anything that was dark, wet, or scary. That pretty much left him with people mover. By the time he was 7 he happily rode everything.

I'd say the most important part is if the kids don't want to go on the rides, it's OK! As a parent, I want our kids time at WDW to be magical, not stressful. I've seen a lot of parents try and pressure their kids into doing Space Mountain or Big Thunder and I can't help, but feel bad for the kids. As mentioned above and to add a couple, here are a few rides that may be over the top for young children...but again it depends on the kid:
  • Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Everest
  • Dinosaur
  • Rock'n Roller coaster
  • Tower of Terror
Best advice...start with easy rides like Astro Orbiter, Barnstormer...then give the Mine Train a go (little smoother ride than Big Thunder). If that works...keep going! Above all else and most importantly...have a magical vacation! :)

Disclaimer I'm not a parent but I disagree with Astro orbiter I made the mistake of thinking it was a space version of dumbo wrong I thought I was going to fall out both times I went on as a adult

My 42 inch three year old still hasn't forgiven me for Dinosaur. She didn't like the Tower of Terror either, but she's scared of the dark. She loves all the coasters that she's tall enough for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter